Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my ef is starting to have small problems with it and i'm not sure what they are heres few

1. When i turn on the a/c theres a ticking sound on the passengers side. Someone told me that its leaves in the box or something but it don't seem to want to go away.

2. Sometimes when i travel at slow speeds abuot 60km/h with window down i can hear the front wheels making a ticking sound like something is rubbing.

3. And also when i accelerate theres a creaking sound from the front of the car.

4. And late but not least when i travel over speed bumps the shockies make a funny noise like they need oiling.

the cars only traveled 102k so i didn't think i needed to replace the shocks yet.

can any 1 please help me out with these problems :)

·
Chromed Member
1,810 Posts
Sideways_EF said:
Well my ef is starting to have small problems with it and i'm not sure what they are heres few

1. When i turn on the a/c theres a ticking sound on the passengers side. Someone told me that its leaves in the box or something but it don't seem to want to go away.

If noise is there when a/c is off and fan is on, could be the leaves. Push the recirc button (one with circle type arrows) TURN KEY OFF and put your hand up ducting behind glovebox and pull out leaves, also try blowing compressed air around in there to get stuff out. If ticking noise is there only when A/c on, probably a/c compressor starting to show signs of age. $800 ish new compressor & regas will fix this.......leave it till it ****s itself completly if it were my car.

2. Sometimes when i travel at slow speeds abuot 60km/h with window down i can hear the front wheels making a ticking sound like something is rubbing.

If you have hubcaps, pull em off and try again. If not may be feathered tyres or screw in tire etc....

3. And also when i accelerate theres a creaking sound from the front of the car.

lube swaybar bushes.

4. And late but not least when i travel over speed bumps the shockies make a funny noise like they need oiling.

Maybe need tightening. See if they are leaking. if so....replace

the cars only traveled 102k so i didn't think i needed to replace the shocks yet.

can any 1 please help me out with these problems :)
:p ;)

·
Territory TS - AWD
2,374 Posts
Sideways_EF, heres some suggestions from my experience with my ED (~125,000kms)

1) Yep, leaves, twigs, sticks or something stuck at the fan. The fan will always run with the A/C. Try running just the fan itself, is the ticking sound still there?

2) The rotor may be slightly warped just "kissing" the pads. Does the frequency of the ticking go up and down with the road speed? Maybe the anti-rattle shims are no longer on the pads, quite easy to misplace or lose when replacing pads.
OR could a small stone be stuck in the cooling fins of the rotor. Still able to move about at 60kmh before centrifugal forces keep it still at higher speeds.

3) Had a creak in the ED too (though I didn't really associtae it with accelerating). Anyway, to pass the annual NSW rego check they asked that I replace the rubber bush on the lower arm where the strut-rod from the front of the car connects. That fixed the squeak.

4) Are these the original shocks? IMO the original stuff is on its way out after only about 20-30,000kms! SORRY! Time for new shocks - you will notice the difference.

·
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL
1,031 Posts
RAPTOR said:
4) Are these the original shocks? IMO the original stuff is on its way out after only about 20-30,000kms! SORRY! Time for new shocks - you will notice the difference.
That is interesting that you say that. My car (AUII) now has 29,000kms and all four shocks are making a clunk.

I wonder if they are starting to wear out??? I dont recall it being this bad before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts