Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some research and watched some videos but I'm still not sure on what I should do. I've got a bone stock 2013 XR6 being repaired and I want an exhaust that will give it a nice deep tone without it being too loud or droning a lot. What would it sound like if I replaced the first and second mufflers from the back with 2 12" hotdogs? I might think about power gain mods later down the track but nothing to serious.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UVHG5TgOIBo

I was looking at something similar to this but with a deeper note when reving. Approx what decibel do you guys think this exhaust is.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
7,632 Posts
I don't think you're going to get much deeper than that. Resonators may help, but I don't know if they make them for 2 1/2".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think you're going to get much deeper than that. Resonators may help, but I don't know if they make them for 2 1/2".
So if I replace the 2 rear mufflers wit hotdogs it should sound similar to this? There already is a stock resonator/small muffler just after the cat how would that affect it? I Appreciate the help.

I just listened to the vid I linked again with headphones, that's how deep I want it. ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are right. Just had a listen with headphones. So if I replace the 2 rear mufflers with 12" hotdogs it should sound similar to this? There is a small muffler/resonator? After the cat will that affect it in anyway? I appreciate the help.

·
Super Moderator
7,632 Posts
Up until now, I never really looked for after market resonators, turns out they do exist and you can get them in 2 1/2. I have a Pontiac Grand Prix with a 3.8SC under the hood. The exhaust uses a 2" resonator in series with 1 7/8" mufflers. The primary purpose of the resonator in this application is to deepen the tone. Across the street from me is a 2012 Mustang with a 5.0, at idle, it's hard to tell the difference between the two. However, when you get on them, you then can hear the difference. My 3.8 still sounds muscular, but the 5.0 does have 2 extra cylinders. I found an article that explains some of the differences, maybe it'll help.

Resonator or Muffler: What is the difference? | AmericanMuscle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot for the help. I'm planning on replacing the 2 rear mufflers with hotdogs and change it up from there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
2 Participants
RandomAnon
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing