Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 FG XR6 - 5 SPEED AUTO , often when i start it it sounds like its got a bad plug or starving for fuel and turns over for 3 to 5 seconds before actually starting and then runs rough for about a minute. My mechanic plugged in a reader thingy and said it has a bad coil pack so i had all new coil packs and plugs replaced with Genuine FORD parts... the problem still occurred the next day so they suggested fuel pump, well the new pump works better most times but still has same problem every now and then (every 3rd start) any ideas ?

·
Super Moderator
3,782 Posts
How old is the battery; on the FG this is often a symptom of a dying or weak battery?

Note (althought the MIL/engine fault code will vanish from the dash after 4 trips) that if there was a faulty fuel pump and and a pending fault code was triggered, and this was not cleared after the pump was replaced, it will take 80 trips with no faults before the code self clears and the cars starts normally. Similarly triggered DTC codes will remain for 40 trips. Note this fairly uncommon and only happens with codes that trigger the PCM (Power Control Module) to trigger strategies to compensate for what it "sees"as a stored fuel pump faults. So perhaps the relevant fault codes were not cleared after the fuel pump was replaced. So perhaps use Supercheap's cheap code reading service to check if there are still codes and if they were cleared. Better yet get a full version of Forscan for Windows Download FORScan and either an ELM327 with a Ford/Mazda switch (e.g https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Forscan-...frcectupt=true ) to use with Forscan and one of these https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Obdlink-...frcectupt=true . There are versions of Forscan and ELM327's that work with various smartphones and WiFi or Bluetooth but they can be slow and have for me have had unreliable comms so I always recommend using Windows Laptop and a USB link. These devices will allow you to program module settings as well as detect and clear codes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info i will follow that up ... the 5 speed auto died since asking the question and as i type its receiving a 6 speed Manual conversion

1 - 4 of 4 Posts