Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
My Fiesta is one of the last Mk3s made in 1996 and is dubbed the "Classic" model or somat. Anyway, these last Mk3s seemed to have been made with single point injection carbs. At the moment I'm only getting 200 miles to a full tank and I'm sure something is up with the carb. Is there a known problem with these and is there a way to fix it?

Thanx

·
Administrator
5,170 Posts
Welcome to the forum predlock.Has the car always been this way or was it a sudden or gradual loss of economy.Tuning and airfilters can make a big difference.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I learnt to drive in this car and have only been driving for real for about 3 months now and the economy has always been like this, and of course putting a K&N air filter hasn't helped much :)

·
Administrator
5,170 Posts
Ok as it is a carby and i'm thinking it will probably have an auto choke then that is probably the first place to check.If the choke is remaining on or partly on then it will make fuel consumption suck. If not then it may need something more invloved such as carby cleaned and check-ignition timing checked etc. As for the choke to check this you will need to remove the air filter or snorkel assembly and look at the intake directly at the carb.There is normally a flap that will close off the intake when the car is cold and as the car reaches operating temp it opens.It should be fully opened when the car is hot..Do you like the festy Predlock as i hear they are quite popular.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for that Big Block, I have a funny susciption that its the Auto choke and it ain't turning off as the car seems to idle very etc, I'll go and get that looke at I think.
As for Festas in general I love them. Ther is so much you can do with them as the engine bay is huge, my 1.1 engine looks tiny inside the bay, so I'm hoping to get shove in a bigger engine like one out an RS turbo or something :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts