Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've got a 1996 1.3 Fiesta with 35,000 on the clock. New (to me) engine fitted after camshaft failure about a year ago, done about 10,000 since then.

Just started a new job which requires me to drive, and the car has unexpectedly stalled twice on the exact same spot on different days - coming up to an empty roundabout after just leaving a motorway. This involves braking from about 60ish to around 25ish. The clutch has been down whenever it has happened, as I am in the process of changing down.

There is no obvious change in tone from the engine. On the dashboard, the battery and the oil lights come on and the car stops responding to gas. Also, the brake becomes heavy as if you had turned off the engine.

It has since happened twice more, once in fast moving traffic (slowing) on an A road, which s--t me up somewhat. Most recently I noticed that the actual cut out came as the clutch was down and I had just moved the gearstick into 4th position.

Any ideas what could be causing it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check your fuel delivery system, filter, pump, and pipes, one of these might be clogged or faulty. Your electrics might also be at fault. I'd sugest you take your car to a good garage and do a full systems check it will highlight any major problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like your Air Idle Control Valve.It is located on top of your engine.It is a short cylindrical part with an electrical connection on the right end. Simply unclip the connection,undo the two bolts and remove it,making sure you don't lose the small rubber seals.When you have removed it,check that the piston moves freely side to side and give it a wipe inside to remove the sooty deposits.Some people use WD40 for this,but its up to you.Refit and hopefully it will cure your problem. This part is located top centre of the engine near the throttle cable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts