Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
The SparkleHunter™
Joined
·
10,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Drive.com.au

Holden recalls 52,000 cars
First Published: The Age
Tuesday, June 5, 2001

By TOBY HAGON, Motoring Editor

Faulty electrical components mean 52,000 Holden Commodores and Statesmans are heading back to dealers for a check-up.

The affected cars, built between June, 1999, and March this year at Holden's plant at Elizabeth, South Australia, have been recalled so dealers can repair faults in the electrical relays for the headlights and fuel pump.

If they fail, drivers could be left without engine power and low-beam headlights.

The fault does not affect all cars across the building-date range, but includes all model variants, including V6s and V8s, luxury Caprices, Commodore sedans, wagons and utes and some high-performance HSVs.

Holden says the "rework", as it is called, is not a safety-related issue, so there was not an official recall that would have required advertisements informing owners of potential risk.

Holden's national media and communications manager, Amanda Webb, said: "The problem is not safety related, so it is not an official recall. If the headlights fail, it will only happen at start-up, not while you're driving. If the fuel pump stops, it's similar to running out of fuel, with a gradual loss of power (rather than an instant shut-down). So it's really just a precautionary measure."

Holden said only a "small number" of cars had experienced problems.

Owners of potentially affected vehicles have been notified by mail and asked to make an appointment with a dealer for an inspection and possible repair, which can take up to two-and-a-half hours.

The "rework" is the latest in a number of safety recalls Holden has conducted on its locally made Commodore, including a fault with the airbags and electric seats that could short circuit. Commodores have been criticised for various quality issues, including interior fitting and finish as well as a boot that dumped water inside when it was opened.

Recalls, "service campaigns" and "reworks" are almost a weekly occurrence for the motoring industry these days as makers aim to keep customers content and avoid legal issues.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,809 Posts
Gotta love they way they were able to avoid putting recall notices in the media. Thats some very fine wording of the recall notice there Holden.
Bastards!!! :fmad: :fmad: :fmad: :fmad: :fmad: :fmad: :fmad: :fmad: :fmad: :fmad: :fmad:
 

·
The SparkleHunter™
Joined
·
10,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's just their propaganda machine in full swing. It makes me wonder how they're still selling so well with all the quality troubles they've had. Must be a lot of sheep out there.. :fmad:
 

·
Mr. Embargo
Joined
·
3,745 Posts
I find it interesting that this recall has gone unoticed when the recall numbers are almost the same as the AU front suspension recall - now that story got around!

Here is a copy of the letter Commodore owners recieved.

Dear Holden Customer

At Holden we continually strive to enhance your ownership experience through continuous product improvement, aftersales service and effective customer communication.

Holden’s foremost concern is your continued satisfaction and the rework action described below is being undertaken as a precautionary measure to prevent any inconvenience caused by potential component failure.

Holden has been informed that there are a number of vehicles within an identified range fitted with an electrical fuel pump and low beam headlamp relay and fuel pump connectors that could potentially fail. This concern has the potential of interrupting the operation of the fuel pump and/or low beam headlamp system.
Our records show that your Holden vehicle was manufactured within the affected range.

It is therefore necessary for you to make a service booking at your convenience with a Holden dealership of your choice for the rectification work to be performed on your vehicle.

Holden has initiated this rework action to ensure the fuel pump and low beam headlamp systems perform to Holden specification.
Work will be carried out free of charge and will take approximately 2.5 hours to complete.

It would be appreciated where possible, when presenting your vehicle to the dealership that it has less than a quarter tank of fuel.

Even if you have already experienced any concerns with these components, it is still necessary for your vehicle to have the rectification action. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

We know that effective communication is vital to assisting your understanding of the issues involved and trust that this letter provides you with all the information you need.

If you should have any questions, please contact your dealer or call the Holden Customer Assistance line – 1800 632826, where we will be pleased to assist.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused to you.

Yours sincerely

David Mc Murray
Manager Customer Assistance
 

·
Future XR Owner
Joined
·
2,245 Posts
Yeah I heard the announcment on the radio this morning. It amazing how Holden continue to release updates but not actually fix anything like they're supposed to, thats what I thought updates were for.

It would be interesting to compare the percentage of cars by all the local manufacturers affected and recalled/ booked in for warranty work. I think we would find that they all have their fair share of problems, and many of the same problems, because they do share many of the component suppliers. Don't forget Holden are selling quite a few more commodres also, therefore more lemons on the road...
 

·
Mr. Embargo
Joined
·
3,745 Posts
Quote from JEM "Don't forget Holden are selling quite a few more commodres also, therefore more lemons on the road..."

Perhaps you meant this:
Don't forget Holden are selling quite a few more lemons also, therefore more Commodores on the road...
 

·
The SparkleHunter™
Joined
·
10,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RPO83 said:
Here is a copy of the letter Commodore owners recieved.
You can screw me if I'm wrong, but if that's not a recall letter I don't know what is... :thumbdown :fmad:
Where's the Ford propaganda machine?? Lets get this into the eyes of the sheep for a change... :rolleyes:
 

·
Mr. Embargo
Joined
·
3,745 Posts
Must be something about June...

FORD RECALLS 53,000 CARS
First Published: The Age
Monday, June 7, 1999

HOLDEN RECALLS 52,000 CARS
First Published: The Age
Tuesday, June 5, 2001
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,750 Posts
RPO83 said:
Quote from JEM "Don't forget Holden are selling quite a few more commodres also, therefore more lemons on the road..."

Perhaps you meant this:
Don't forget Holden are selling quite a few more lemons also, therefore more Commodores on the road...
Like the way you thinkRPO83:thumbup:
 

·
Forever Ford Follower
Joined
·
558 Posts
Ford Man said:
Thanks to Drive.com.au

... built between June, 1999, and March this year ...
It's amazing that they took that long to discover the problem.. gotta be those good holden engineers! :CraZ:
 

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
Joined
·
7,777 Posts
Re: Re: Finally some bad news for Holden

XLR8_2001 said:
It's amazing that they took that long to discover the problem.. gotta be those good holden engineers! :CraZ:
No it didn't. Remember the previous post about cars being held at Elizabeth for fuel pump electrical problems? That probably means Holden were sorting the build cars and current stock before rectifying cars on the road. Makes sense to do it that way.
 

·
Australian xr8 Member
Joined
·
82 Posts
Don't want to get too technical but e.f.i. engines stop going fairly quike when fuel pump stops. No presure for injectors to work.
 
V

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Ford Man said:
Thanks to Drive.com.au

Holden recalls 52,000 cars
First Published: The Age
Tuesday, June 5, 2001

By TOBY HAGON, Motoring Editor

Faulty electrical components mean 52,000 Holden Commodores and Statesmans are heading back to dealers for a check-up.

The affected cars, built between June, 1999, and March this year at Holden's plant at Elizabeth, South Australia, have been recalled so dealers can repair faults in the electrical relays for the headlights and fuel pump.

If they fail, drivers could be left without engine power and low-beam headlights.

The fault does not affect all cars across the building-date range, but includes all model variants, including V6s and V8s, luxury Caprices, Commodore sedans, wagons and utes and some high-performance HSVs.

Holden says the "rework", as it is called, is not a safety-related issue, so there was not an official recall that would have required advertisements informing owners of potential risk.

Holden's national media and communications manager, Amanda Webb, said: "The problem is not safety related, so it is not an official recall. If the headlights fail, it will only happen at start-up, not while you're driving. If the fuel pump stops, it's similar to running out of fuel, with a gradual loss of power (rather than an instant shut-down). So it's really just a precautionary measure."

Holden said only a "small number" of cars had experienced problems.

Owners of potentially affected vehicles have been notified by mail and asked to make an appointment with a dealer for an inspection and possible repair, which can take up to two-and-a-half hours.

The "rework" is the latest in a number of safety recalls Holden has conducted on its locally made Commodore, including a fault with the airbags and electric seats that could short circuit. Commodores have been criticised for various quality issues, including interior fitting and finish as well as a boot that dumped water inside when it was opened.

Recalls, "service campaigns" and "reworks" are almost a weekly occurrence for the motoring industry these days as makers aim to keep customers content and avoid legal issues.
I could see this "rework" going to happen sooner or later, too bad they didn't have the balls to call it a recall, or couldn't afford to pay the media, cause we need some sales.

Commodores have been criticised for various quality issues........
Hope these 'quality issues' are chronic :cool: :wink2: :wink2:

[Note] Media sold out by Holden!!!![/Note]
 

·
The SparkleHunter™
Joined
·
10,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top