Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Fairlane out for it's maiden run down the strip yesterday. First run, I eased it off the line then gave it full throttle, short shifted into 2nd, and shifted into 3rd at 6500rpm. The car ran dead straight and steady, recording a 10.75 @ 125mph. To say I was happy is an understatement.

After a few practice launches and half track runs, I gave it a hard launch and full power run. Shifting at 6500rpm, I managed a 10.38 @ 129.5mph. At that stage I was told to go home by the officials as I don't have a full racing license. However, I was more than happy.

My car is a 1970 Australian Fairlane sedan, full street trim at a race weight of 3600lbs. Engine is a 521, SCJ heads, XR292R cam, 1050 carb, and runs on 98 octane pump gas. The trans is a C4 with a 4000rpm stall converter, 4.11 diff gears and 28x10.5 slicks. I run power brakes, and the engine is sedate enough to handle moderate traffic and be driven 30 miles to and from the track.

These runs were made with a full street legal exhaust system and the air cleaner on. I managed a 60' time of 1.49sec, although the car was still turning the tires of the line. I think with a bit more tuning, I can get the times down to low 10's. Needless to say, I am more than happy with this combo. It's taken me and all who have worked on this car about 2.5 years to get to this stage. It is so awesome to own a street legal, street driven car that, with a pair of slicks, can run low 10's.

Praise the Lord for the big block Ford

·
PHAT COUPES
896 Posts
Great times .
What colour is your car as I was at the drags yesterday and was impressed with alot of cars on the day

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once I get my UDL ANDRA license and get the car tech inspected, I'll be back. Plan on a few Wednesday night meets, and if work permits I try and get it in at least one of the remaining Super Sedan events.

·
TuffZc and pursuit
301 Posts
Very impressive.

I need to get my ZC a out with some sticky tyres and see if I can get an 11, 10's are great.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SPRINTED said:
That's awesome stuff Todd, keep that Ford Flag Flying!

Is the car caged and does it have head rests?

Gonz
G'day Gonz,

I've got a 5 point cage in it, but the seats are still factory. Will have a read through my ANDRA rule book on that one.
I didn't get a chance to see how you went, though saw on your other post you won GAS, well done. 147mph is outstanding, just got to hook up all that power. I've thought about putting some gas through mine, but it's doing okay as it is. I don't want to go to a 6 point cage, so will just keep working on the current combo. What are the requirements to run True Street? I'm thinking about getting some drag radials and giving that a go.
See you down the track.

Todd

·
Registered
88 Posts
All I can say Todd is WOW that is one great street car , a 10.38 @129.5 with pipes up & cleaner on .Nice work .
Dale

·
Registered
88 Posts
Todd I just had a look on comp cams site as I was interested in your cam specs but could only find xr292r for cheby windsor and chrysler.254 260 @50 & 388 lift , is that right or have I had to much sun.
Dale.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Black XW said:
Todd I just had a look on comp cams site as I was interested in your cam specs but could only find xr292r for cheby windsor and chrysler.254 260 @50 & 388 lift , is that right or have I had to much sun.
Dale.
Dale, my cam is actually a Herbert cam ground to the specs of the XR292R, but with about 0.01" extra lift on both lobes. There is some funny business going on with the Comp Cams web catalog. I've seen 2 online catalogs, only one lists the XR292R for a Lima engine. However the cam does exist, it's quite popular in the US. From memory, my cam is about 254/262 @50, .692/.705 lift.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Todd,

The drama that you have in fitting into the APSA classes (Mod street would be the go) is the front suspension. It is an issue that I have brought up with them in the past and they are considering changing the rules, but needless to say the bow tie boys don't want it changed.

The GM brigade feel that by allowing the front suspension swap, you are giving the Fords an unfair advantage as pipes become easier to fit and have a straighter shot out of the head, someone should have told them that if you own a Ford you already have an unfair advantage!

If the track eventually allows Perth Street Car Magazine to run it's real street shoot out (they are scared that it will become more popular than their ANDRA events as has happened in Melbourne) the car will be legal, as the only requirement will be that the cars fuel up with Pump Gas, and runs a 30 mile cruise. At this stage you would have it in the bag easily.

I would even think about sneaking down there next Wednesday as they are suppose to be running (we'll see if they keep their word Ha Ha Ha!) what they call the Big Dog shoot out, if you air bag your stuff to ANDRA with a return air bag you will get it back in time, and Ian Jenkins is probably the easiest ANDRA guy to get to check the car (also a bit of a FORD man).

Hey lets face it they probably would have forgotten about it by next week anyway, and George is hardly ever there on a week night, so you'll probably get away with it.

The trick with the Big Dog deal is having a tune to suit a shit track, as the prep will only be in one lane, and it will go off at about 6.30. The guy that won the last one was that Chev powered Cobra kit car.

I look forward to seeing it back down there ASAP, it’s a killer car, and a killer combo!

FORD the unfair advantage!

Gonz

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unfortunately I'll be away for a while with work, next available session will be Wednesday 8 March. I sent off all my ANDRA stuff yesterday, so hopefully it won't take too long. Will give Ian Jenkins a call when the time comes.
I'll keep an eye out for any news on the real street shoot out, that's exactly the sort of event I'd reckon my car would be good at.

Praise the lord for the big block Ford.

·
Registered
70 Posts
ToddZC said:
Took my Fairlane out for it's maiden run down the strip yesterday........, I was more than happy........Praise the Lord for the big block Ford
Hey Todd,

Congratulations for a job well done. Awesome result. A low 10 second street car (and full weight) is an amazing accomplishment.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers, Bill. :driver:

·
Registered
55 Posts
ToddZC said:
Took my Fairlane out for it's maiden run down the strip yesterday. First run, I eased it off the line then gave it full throttle, short shifted into 2nd, and shifted into 3rd at 6500rpm. The car ran dead straight and steady, recording a 10.75 @ 125mph. To say I was happy is an understatement.

After a few practice launches and half track runs, I gave it a hard launch and full power run. Shifting at 6500rpm, I managed a 10.38 @ 129.5mph. At that stage I was told to go home by the officials as I don't have a full racing license. However, I was more than happy.

My car is a 1970 Australian Fairlane sedan, full street trim at a race weight of 3600lbs. Engine is a 521, SCJ heads, XR292R cam, 1050 carb, and runs on 98 octane pump gas. The trans is a C4 with a 4000rpm stall converter, 4.11 diff gears and 28x10.5 slicks. I run power brakes, and the engine is sedate enough to handle moderate traffic and be driven 30 miles to and from the track.

These runs were made with a full street legal exhaust system and the air cleaner on. I managed a 60' time of 1.49sec, although the car was still turning the tires of the line. I think with a bit more tuning, I can get the times down to low 10's. Needless to say, I am more than happy with this combo. It's taken me and all who have worked on this car about 2.5 years to get to this stage. It is so awesome to own a street legal, street driven car that, with a pair of slicks, can run low 10's.

Praise the Lord for the big block Ford
AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME GROUND POUNDERS :hy:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for that Reece.

Since my last post, the car has run a 10.280 sec ET @ 131.77mph. That was with a 1.51sec 60' time, spinning the tyres off the line. From the mph, it should be running a 10.1, just need to keep working on getting the tyres to bite. There is still a few more hp to be found by just optimising the tune, so I should be able to get a few more mph out of it.
I have a few plans for the car over winter, next season hopefully it will run consistent 10.0's.
With both my car and Gonzo's BLITZD XY running down at Kwinana, there is a lot of interest in BB Fords being stirred up. Especially by the brand X'ers who we just blow away. Bring it on!

Praise the Lord for the Big Block Ford.

·
Registered
55 Posts
hey todd you have the rrs front end and rack dont you, can you give u a break down of mtr and running gear. i have pretty much everthing for my car now engine and driveline wise just would like to see what you guys are using.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My motor is a D1VE block, 0.030" over, 2 bolt with cap girdle. Scat 4.3" crank, Scat 6.7" rods and Probe pistons. Heads are Kaase SCJ's out of the box. Cam is a Herbert custom solid roller. Victor intake with a 1050 holley. Exhaust consists of custom 2 1/8" primaries, 3.5" collectors and a 3.5" dual system with X pipe. Trans is a C4, full manual rev pattern and transbrake, though I haven't used that yet. Convertor is a 4000 Dominator. Diff is a braced 9", 3.9 Detriot Locker with 35 spline axles. I'm running 28x10.5x15 slicks, as they are the biggest I can fit.
There is nothing really exotic or mega $$ in there, it's just a combo that works well.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts