Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,
I am new to this forum and look forward to being part of the ranger world. I just purchased a 1991 Ranger, 4.0 with a five speed manual transmission with 145,00 miles. It also has electric buttons to put it into four wheel drive rather than a stick. 20,000 mises ago it had a remanufactured transmission and new clutch parts installed.
I have owned it for a few days and have taken it through the snow and mud in the Colorado mountains and I am very pleased.

There seems to be a problem when shifting into first from neutral, for example at a red light. Most of the time it is really hard to get the stick to shift into first. If I put it in second then first no problem. Sometimes it is a little tight putting it into second so I can then go into first but can always put it into second. This is all at a standstill. Downshifting is fine. It happens whith the engine hot or cold.
No grinding. I just feel resistance in the stick. Otherwise the stick is tight and not sloppy and reverse is fine. Wondering if there are any adjustments or ???
I do my own work.
Also, I want to get a service manual which includes the fuel injection. Any tips on which manuals are the best for the 91 Ranger. I see Chiltons, Haynes, factory manual with two volumes.
Also any tips on where to get them used or a good price.
All help is appreciated.
Thanks, Jeff

·
Are we there yet?
1,621 Posts
Hi Jeff, welcome to the forums.

With your gearbox, does the stick eventually go into first if you just push a bit against the first gear, and hold it there??

The factory manual would by far be the better choice, but they are also more expensive than the other manuals. The amount of stuff in the factory manual is amazing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aaron_EF8 said:
Hi Jeff, welcome to the forums.

With your gearbox, does the stick eventually go into first if you just push a bit against the first gear, and hold it there??

The factory manual would by far be the better choice, but they are also more expensive than the other manuals. The amount of stuff in the factory manual is amazing.
Thanks for the reply. Yes I can force it, and no problem staying in gear.
What do you think?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts