Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm not trying to start a flame war (so dont do it) and I'm not putting it down as it is a stunningly capable car but I have to say that the BA XR6 Turbo really leaves me cold.
Lately I have been thinking of turboing my AU XR6, something that gets the blood pressure raised every time I think of it, and someone asked me why not just buy a BA Turbo? I sat and thought about it for a while but came to the conclusuon that it does nothing for me.
How is it that I would love an AU XR6 Turbo but the Factory spec (and highly capable and fast) BA XR6 Turbo leaves me cold?
Maybe it's just that there are a lot of them getting around now? Maybe the thrill of owning an "unusual" car as there were no factory AU turbos?

Not sure.

Anyhow it's said now, just curious to know if I'm the only one? :fraz:

·
3FB's Peter Pan!!!
777 Posts
Ive had the same thoughts....Turboing the AU XR6 would surely be much more interesting than getting the stocky BA Turbo in my mind as well...

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
sounds like my exact feelings, i'd prefer to turbo a car i'd owned as a non-turbo for the feeling of acheivement and having something different, there are far tooooooooo many XR6T's around, which is good for ford :p but does nothing for me.

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
I can see where you are coming from. There's the "creation" factor, the bonus of having something fairly rare, plus the inevitable amusement of scaring the crap out of BA XR6T's and similar :)

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
953 Posts
Yeh I dunno, i think if i was going to buy an XR6 Turbo id would have to have the APS Phase I kit fitted before I felt satisfied. Theres no better achievement then doing up a rather slow car to something that really pisses on the competition. And it would be a hell of alot cheaper then the changeover from your AU VCT to a BA Turbo.

Its all food for thought, the AUs are great cars and ill stand by the till the day i die, the are very reliable and easy to look after. Good luck with the decision you may aswell have a bit of fun with you cash.

·
Team Galaxy: Mad Bastard
2,847 Posts
LOL Shane, why do you think I went to spend almost 8 grand on my first turbo setup and another huge bunch on the recent project, when all the money put together could have easily bagged me a brand new BAXR6T/XR8 with all options...

Don't get me wrong, the BA XR6T is a great looking car, great interior, exterme comfort but like Shane said, there aren't too many turbo'd AUs around...

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been thinking about it a bit more and know now what it is. To have a BA XR6 Turbo basically tells people to beware, this thing is Fast! Even HSV drivers have to have respect for them. They are a known fast car.
But to have a stock looking AU XR6 turboed with nothing on it to warn of it's capabilities would certainly catch a few people unaware.
Lets face it, the look on a HSV Clubsport driver as an apparently dead stock AU1 XR6 just hammers away (cause the HSV driver was caught off guard) would have to be a true kodak moment!

I figure thats the thing, I want a true sleeper, something a BA XR6T simply isnt.

No Casper your still strange
No stranger than a Holden fan on an All Ford Site????

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Simple really, AU XRs look better
No offence intended to any BA owners, I just genuinely think the AU XR shape is only now starting to mature, and it looks better and better every day.

·
FF Town Sheriff
1,165 Posts
haha - good one shane, just don't go nuts and start thinking about making it front wheel drive, and you'll be safe...

You love your car - - blow the mother.!!

·
FF Town Sheriff
1,165 Posts
as you should!

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So when you going to Supercharge that BA XR8 anyhow Philbie? Not right that the motorbike is faster now!

·
FF Town Sheriff
1,165 Posts
when the speed limit gets beyond 40 - 50 - 60 - 80 - 100 or 110, other wise, in all honesty WHY BOTHER?

Seems $7000 is a waste of money to boast a good time at heathcote twice a year.

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cause you can :p
True, If I had a BA XR8 I wouldnt really consider it either. Just stirring.

BTW, you mean the speed limit isnt 140kph? Oh dear, I think I'm in trouble now.

·
FF Town Sheriff
1,165 Posts
haha - you did have you flaming suit on didn't you???? PHILBIE THE FIRESTARTER!!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts