Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when I nail it from a stand it's very slugish to about 2500 after that it seems fine no power loss at all; it also sometimes hesitates for a split second when you nail it. can anybody give me any idea what the problem is or could be.

CHEERS
MIKE

·
345kw of V8 Windsor Power
2,784 Posts
Start with a general tune up, replacing spark plugs, air and fuel filter and advance the base timing a touch (around 30-24 degrees). Also check the spark plug leads and things like that. Probably worth throwing it on hte dyno to check AF ratios and how much power it is making.

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
Seems to be symptoms of blocked injectors too. Try some of that injector cleaner stuff with your next tank of premium. Has this behaviour developed over time or was it an "overnight thing"?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Is it an auto coz they are very sluggish in 1st if your ratio is 3.08 or less. At least what I would call sluggish anyway ;)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
!Gn|T|0n said:
Seems to be symptoms of blocked injectors too. Try some of that injector cleaner stuff with your next tank of premium. Has this behaviour developed over time or was it an "overnight thing"?
Its an overnight thing

·
Registered
847 Posts
Have you filled up somewhere sorta shonk recently? or let ur car run down real low, maybe you have sucked up some crud and blocked an injector or two.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i did get caught out & ran it real low just last week. if it is a blocked injector how do i clear it out

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Check tps voltage under 1 v @ idle and raise pregresivly to 5v @ wot..
Check that maf is clean,leads and cap, plugs etc...Air filter ??

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
I've got a similar issue (rough idle, lacking in low down go until about 2700). I've also decided (hoping) that its injector related (replaced other stuff already).
So injectors are coming out to be cleaned over chrissy break . . .

To clean them, ideally you need to pull them out and use an ultrasonic cleaner (and a spray tester is cool too). But it might be worth the $15 for a injector cleaner additive - you never know it might just solve it (much easier than pulling manifolds and injectors).

·
Registered
847 Posts
ED GLI V8 said:
yeah i did get caught out & ran it real low just last week. if it is a blocked injector how do i clear it out

You could run some cleaner through with your next tank of gas or two, you can get this from repco, autobahn, supercheap etc or you can get them ultrasonically cleaned.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ebxr8240 said:
Check tps voltage under 1 v @ idle and raise pregresivly to 5v @ wot..
Check that maf is clean,leads and cap, plugs etc...Air filter ??
what is tps voltage & how do i check it ?
what is maf & how do i check it is claen?

·
Registered
309 Posts
just sounds like it getting starved for fuel, just clean everything out. had the same problem got the injectors clean and all was good, it sorta felt like a flat spot cause when u gave it stick at about 1500 revs it kicks back hard

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
XDman said:
just sounds like it getting starved for fuel, just clean everything out. had the same problem got the injectors clean and all was good, it sorta felt like a flat spot cause when u gave it stick at about 1500 revs it kicks back hard
Perhaps, but the fact that it was ok one day and spluttering the next suggests that there may be something other than clogged injectors at work here. The TPS is the throttle position sensor. Search the forums for literature on how to check its operation. The MAF is the mass air flow sensor. It is a group of wires (like a mesh) that spans the inlet pipe internals just after the air box. Remove inlet pipe from the airbox and you can get to it. Clean it with carby cleaner. Be careful with it!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
changed the spark plugs today & went for a run; only a slight miss when you floor it but plenty of power drove it home & parked it; went out in it 1 hour latter & it's flat again nothing to about 2500 then it's fine. any ideas ?????

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just a quick update went out this morning car felt great untill it warmed up then it went flat again; so it seem that the problem is somehow temp related; it's not over heating just getting up normal temp. can anybody shead any light on what the prob could be.

CHEERS
MIKE

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
hmmmm does it blow black smoke when doing this ie running rich? I wonder if the MAF is faulty in the heat. I know how frustrating a fault like this can be!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No it doesn't blow any black smoke

·
Registered
847 Posts
Have you checked the dizzy for cracks and wear etc...

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Check or suspect inlet temp senser [ACT..air charge temp] the one on #5 inlet runner behind dizzy..Check connections..Engine coolant temp [ETC] as well.. Make sure thermostate is working within correct heat range...Or sensers won't work as they should...
Then check hego's should read from 0.1v to 0.9v they produce there own voltage...The newer the senser the more it changes, the older they are the more they lag behind in changing as they should... Use analog meter high impedance atleast 10 megohms..Digital will average the changing voltage...
The maf works with hot wire system 200c above air intake,the more air that flows past it cools this wire and there for more voltage.There is another wire that reads inlet / ambient.The hot wire is always 200c hotter than the ambient wire.Thats for eights...And how it reads the density of air not just flow as in vane type...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts