Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I have been having problems with my EL getting quite hot while towing on long drives. After replacing coolant to Nulon long life 50/50 mix and changing thermostat it seems to be much worse than it was, is there any step by step procedure on flushing coolant? The owners manual is fairly brief and hard to understand.. Also what temperature is 'normal' and what coolant/thermostat is the best to use? I may have done it all wrong, would appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Rick

·
EL XR6 - w00t
163 Posts
Hey mate,

I did the same thing recently, changed it with Nulon also. Its actually runs HOTTER now. I'm worried I'll do a head gasket on my way to pick up my g/f (its a lonnnnnngggggg drive) so I'm taking it to a radiator place tomorrow to get a full flush and fill, I'll ask him tomorrow what i did wrong and I'll report back.

Cheers.

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
It has been suggested here that coolant does actually make your car run *slightly* hotter - something to do with the heat transfer ability being slightly inferior to water. But it does give you a higher boiling point, and anti-corrosive benefits etc.

I would be thinking that possibly the radiator is partially blocked, and you might need a professional flush / clean of the radiator, or possibly even a new one. A radiator place should be able to pop off the ends of the radiator for an inspection as well. ( I don't think its technically to difficult to do yourself, just annoying and time consuming ).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When changing the coolant I also changed the thermostat to a Dayco (from repco) thinking that it might fix the heating problem.. I've been told that the better thermostats are the one with the second hole in them.. Will get a complete flush and see how things go next week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts