Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
AC Cobra Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if it possible to replace the second gear drive band ie the fron band without removing the gearbox. I have a Cobra replica with the FMX box and it is hard on the second gear band, needs replacing regularly. The box needs a complete engine and gearbox removal to access normally and it is a pain

Barry

·
Administrator
5,108 Posts
I'm unsure about replacing the band barry but will see what i can find out. I'm picking it has to be removed .I'm a bit surprised it is chewing the band out as the FMX is pretty sturdy.What engine and power are you puttting through it?. There must be something that can be done to beef it up so it will last the distance. Is the oil cooled enough for the work it is doing as this can make a difference to the tranny.

·
AC Cobra Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fmx gearbox

Using a 351C with 11 to one compression and generally modified . I dont believe the books but the motor is supposed to develop 450 HP. The rest of the gearbox is fine. No undue wear on anything. When you kick down to 2nd travelling about 50 to 80 mph then acceleration is strong and hard on the second gear band. The original band thickness is puny only 1.9mm thickness including lining and steel backing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts