Ford Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
a little bit sideways
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forget the Focus RS8, just before I left the UK, I picked up a magazine at the airport and it had some very brief details of the Focus Cossie. Word is that there is too much power for the front wheels to cope with so it will be rear wheel drive. There were a few spy shots and it looked great. I cant remember when it is due for release (I am still buggered up with jetlag) but I have one special request for Ford Australia...

GET IT HERE....please

We have missed out on official imports of all of the cossie products, why not give us the ultimate?

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
I always thought that the Cosworth Focus would be AWD. It would make sense too.

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Isn't there a company already in the UK doing such conversions with Cossie parts?

·
I am The Brain
3,073 Posts
I don't believe it is ever planned to come here....it would be too expensive. I remember someone talking about it a while ago and roughly calculating a price conversion...and it would be pretty steep.

Shame though....sounds as though it could be awesome.

·
2,922 Posts
We get the ST170 and they had to slash the price to kick start sales.... we don't even get the RS... a Cosworth? Yeah right! :fraz:

Too much power for the front wheels? Isn't that Bugatti supercar AWD with well more power than a Focus would ever make? I find it hard to swallow that power is the biggest issue - more like simplicity of design and lack of having to engineer a stronger smaller gearbox. My opinion anyway! Lack of AWD is just one more step for the Focus away from its Cosworth roots in rallying. Especially in an age where everyone seems to want AWD!

A1 Rally Sport have done a 518BHP RWD Cosworth Focus Demo car, see it Here.

Cheers... Tim

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
Doing a Cosworth special Focus and not putting on AWD would be like doing a Falcon GTHO without the a V8.

·
Registered
738 Posts
In a lightweight FWD car, over 150kw is getting too much. The Focus RS has it's torque limited in 1st and 2nd to help alleviate it. I was always under the impression the Cosworth was going to be AWD, as it is the road going link to the WRC Focus. The ST170 isn't anything special for the money - the Corolla Sportivo with the Celica motor has better power, and the RS wouldn't have sold well here for $50000-$60000 as you can get AWD turbo performance in the WRX for less.

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Zantetsuken said:
A1 Rally Sport have done a 518BHP RWD Cosworth Focus Demo car, see it Here.

Cheers... Tim
That's the one! I have a video of it from these forums only recently. Goes like a bat out of hell! Sensational stuff.

·
Just give me an excuse...
3,949 Posts
wow thats good news...about time they built another cossie. can't wait to hear more and see more about it.

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
I can't see why they wouldn't. As I understand it, the rules have been changed to make it much easier for manufacturers to bring in small numbers of cars, without all the associated expense of crash testing etc.

I reckon its the kind of thing ford need to do. They might not sell many, but it would be a hero "image" car for Ford and the Focus, which should help stocker focus sales.

The alfa 147 GTA puts out 184kw through the front wheels for $60k, so I don't think they would be totally out of the ball-park . . .

·
Ford Europe Wannabe
754 Posts
Was that in autoexpress magazine? There is a thread on that in the Fcous section here on FF

·
2,922 Posts
pauljh74 said:
I was always under the impression the Cosworth was going to be AWD, as it is the road going link to the WRC Focus.
The WRC Focus is badged as just an RS Focus, the 2002 and early 2003 cars had massive RS signage on the side. Cosworth was contracted purely for mechnical work on the RS Rally Cars. Indeed, early Focus rally cars ran bodykits identical to the RS's.

The RS has been the only link between the rally car and the road to date. As Ford's future in World Rally seems uncertain past the end of this year, it might remain is closest thing you could have bought without buying a second hand rally car!

Be interesting to see where the Focus will go as it heads into touring car racing if/when it leaves World Rally. It already competes in British and North American Touring Car racing - but its just not the same as its Rally Heritage, in my opinion!

Cheers... Tim

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
The Focus also isn't built for AWD, current platform was never designed to include it. Watchout for the enxt model Focus though, it is built from the ground up with one feature in mind. AWD. Smells of Cosworth doesn't it... ;)

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
I wouldn't be so sure about that Zetec. I was reading an article from some american mob that does RWD conversions for Focus's in the states, and they reckon the conversion was made easy as the platform was designed "almost" as though AWD was in mind.

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
There is a difference though from what I can see between being designed specifically from the start to include AWD as an option and being designed in a similar way. That the Focus uses Control Blade IRS and runs larger Falcon/Commodore sized wheels literally, hints to the fact it's running larger car parts anyway, suggesting the IRS and platform mountings would naturally be similarly convenient if you get my drift. All I know is that had it been made for AWD they'd have capitalised much earlier!!! I do know the next model isn't going to ignore AWD... they'd be bloody stupid if they did.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts