Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

We have an older Focus mk2 with rear hatch problems. The rear hatch won't open with the manual button located above the license plate, but it opens fine when using the button on the key. I couldn't find a fuse in the manual that seemed to have anything to do with this function, so I used Youtube to figure out how to get the manual button out of the hatch. I have it on my desk now but it looks absolutely fine. No rust or anything. I expected signs of rust, but it actually looks to be in quite fine condition.

Is there anything other than this button that could be wrong with the hatch?

I'm thinking I could try and short circuit the button with some spare electrical wire. If that opens the hatch, it means the wiring is fine and the button is crap. Does that make sense?

·
Super Moderator
7,993 Posts
Older as in how old? Yes, that sounds reasonable, but it might also be tied into the locking system and that might be locking you out. Does it have push button start?

·
Super Moderator
19,821 Posts
Dont think any mk2 had push button start . On some you used to get broken wiring in the harness ( in rubber sheath ) at top of tailgate where it passed through .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It's a 2006 model mk II made late 2005.

Encouraged by your replies I cut and peeled the wires to the button, climbed into the rear of the car and closed the hatch. When I shorted the wires, the hatch opened again!

So now we know it's the button, or maybe the 12 inch wire that goes with it. I'm going to try and perform surgery on the button to see if I can find any mendable problems, but I think I'll have to buy a new one.

Do you know what they're called, or what the parts number is?

Edit: Oh, there's a number here on the button...
7 GBP + delivery on Ebay!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts