Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys. Im tired of the old pile of junk. Im going to college this year, and after either this year or next, Im going to buy something alittle more.... Nice :). I was looking at the Focus SVT, probably the 3 door model. Does anyone know of any major problems, issues, or other things that might sway me otherwise? as well as costs..... if anyones done work to one of these please let me know of your experience. since this is a big expense, ims aving now so i want to make sure im not gonna waste my time and money

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 04 three door with the european appearance package HID headlights,heated leather recaros,traction control its a nice little car. not as fast as the wrx or srt4 but i think its a better built car. new it set me back 20 grand but with gas as it is 35 miles to the gallon with some performance you cant go wrong

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All i've had a Focus SVT/ST170 for a year now and have had a
1 boot lid replace
2 Flat spots on rear tyres
3 accelorator cable replaced
4 new oil temp/ pressure guage and pipe work.
5 Centre drive shaft bearing
6 lamber sensor
7 passenger side seat
8 catalitic converter
9 bracket for catalitic converter 6 months after replaced cat
10 replaced clocks
11 new gem modual

I still have flickering dash lights and head lights now and then flicker.
plus the brakes are crap and they lean over like a hippo when you push em hard driving.
if your going to get one make sure it has either warrenty or throw loads of money at it and get rid of much of the ford cheep crap as possible.

·
SVT Lightning Member
26 Posts
moz st170 said:
Hi All i've had a Focus SVT/ST170 for a year now and have had a
1 boot lid replace
2 Flat spots on rear tyres
3 accelorator cable replaced
4 new oil temp/ pressure guage and pipe work.
5 Centre drive shaft bearing
6 lamber sensor
7 passenger side seat
8 catalitic converter
9 bracket for catalitic converter 6 months after replaced cat
10 replaced clocks
11 new gem modual

I still have flickering dash lights and head lights now and then flicker.
plus the brakes are crap and they lean over like a hippo when you push em hard driving.
if your going to get one make sure it has either warrenty or throw loads of money at it and get rid of much of the ford cheep crap as possible.
Judging by your terminology and spelling, I'm guessing you're located in the U.K. If I am correct in thinking that the U.S. Focus and European Focus are different cars, then you probably can't assume that they will have the same (or same number of) problems. The fact that they are built in different plants would also make a difference. The U.S. Focus has had its share of problems, but nothing along the lines of what you've described.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Get the five-door. They look so much better and are more practical. Especially if you plan to have a family any point after school- that way, you don't need to worry about car seats in the back of a two-door car.

Plus, wagons are ultra cool. :priest: :driver:

·
3/75thRanger
12 Posts
Flickering dash lights are most due to battery clamps...originals are crimped on and turn to crap inside and corrode...so they may look ok but not! Cut em off and replace before you kill your alt....This is fact and hear many a Ford Tech say it is a constant prob on all Focus.

Rangers Lead The Way!!!
"B"co 3/75th

·
SC= smoked chevy
48 Posts
awhile back there was a guy here in orlando selling his for like 4,500 bucks because he was being shipped over seas. there is also a jackson racing supercharged one here for 5,600. only thing i have ever heard bad about these cars is that the alternators go out quick on them. thats it

·
Registered
182 Posts
If higher mileage make sure the timing belt has been changed, unlike other models the SVT WILL bend valves if the belt jumps time.

·
Super Moderator
7,686 Posts
amc49, you need to check the dates. While you input is valued, you're answering posts several years old. Of course, if you have solutions for unresolved problems, feel free.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I miss the dates sometimes but in this case saw it, thought for a second, the information there is pertinent even today so went ahead and posted it.

Timing belt issues put plenty of these cars in the yards................other Focus engines will be fine with stripped belt but not the SVT zetec. Plenty of people ignore that to great loss.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts