Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may have noticed that the fonts have undergone a change on here. If your pages are looking odd or the text is a little whacky it is due to removing the standard attributes for these tags.

I have done this to make it easier for all to adjust to the size that is best for them.

If it is too small or too large you can adjust this easily. You can do it by either holding your (ctrl) key down and scrolling your mouse roller or you can go in IE to VIEW -> text size and deciding on which one suits your tastes.

Now this will of course play with the layouts as well and may mess up somethings for you. Play with it at your own risk :p

Some pieces are not adjustable and that is to help in maintaining the layout as much as possible

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
They Are Big Enough For Blind People To Read
Lol
Thx...
CHANGED IT BETTER NOW...

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
whats IE? sorry for my lack of knowledge of abbrviated words.... i dont even kno what ROFL means..... lol

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
Supa R00 said:
whats IE? sorry for my lack of knowledge of abbrviated words.... i dont even kno what ROFL means..... lol
ie = internet explorer
rofl = rolling on floor laughing
roflmao = rolling on floor laughing my ass off

·
Territory TS - AWD
2,374 Posts
Ahhh that's better.

Thnaks for the tip on making them look smaller John, they were hideous.

·
Hanging Around
1,209 Posts
lunatic, on both my pc's once i set the size to my preference (smaller) all is good, but when viewing threads that are opened from email notifications, it defaults to the normal size therefore large.
Any way you can make the default font on the server side the same as the smaller setting in IE, and if people want it larger, they can change it locally?

I dont suppose the forum software allows font selection 'per user' so it can be selected from the user profile?

·
Registered
10,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Font selection can be one of two ways.

I can allow the ability to have the user set what size they want. -- the way it is now

or

I can force the size. the way it was.

It is all done through CSS. There is not an option or way that I know of to say force 10pt adn allow up and down free range of adjustments. Of course it is only 8am in the morning and I have not had my coffee yet.

·
Hanging Around
1,209 Posts
I think most people would be comfortable with the previous 10 point.
They can always choose different windows fonts if they are blind (display settings / font size)
Personally, for me it is getting a bit annoying to keep changing the size back down when required, Is this happening for anyone else?

Also, could you not create a seperate css for the larger font and have it selectable as a seperate forums style which users can select in their profile? Ie have 10 and 12pt options if required?

·
Territory TS - AWD
2,374 Posts
I vote with 9psi EB (not that this is a democracry or anything).

Standardise to 10point font. It's getting annoying to swap to smaller fonts for FF.com then not be able to read any other website until I increase it again.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
9psi EB said:
They can always choose different windows fonts if they are blind (display settings / font size)
Personally, for me it is getting a bit annoying to keep changing the size back down when required, Is this happening for anyone else?
No

Once i set the font size it stays at that.

On a seperate point, I dont really see what the issue is with changes being made, after all its for the improvement of the site

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
laminge said:
No
Once i set the font size it stays at that.
On a seperate point, I dont really see what the issue is with changes being made, after all its for the improvement of the site
I think what '9psi EB' means is that he (as I) needs to change the font smaller for the forums, and then change back to larger to view other websites as they will then be too small.
That's the problem I'm having anyway.

Rick.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Nope

Not having that issue either, I have set it to smaller, and when i view other sites it still set on smaller but still readable.

Have done that for screen 800 and 1024, work and home

Not sure if John has more input onto this for you, but i carnt think of anything at the moment sorry

·
Registered
10,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
9psi EB said:

Also, could you not create a seperate css for the larger font and have it selectable as a seperate forums style which users can select in their profile? Ie have 10 and 12pt options if required?
While that is nice in theory we do have some areas that are stuck with a layout and no other. For example the E-series area is one color choice and your selection in the USERCP for say the orange will not over ride this area. There are others through out the site as well. So the selection choice will not work with that.

If it is not saving for you when you return then it is actually something wrong with the cookie that you are getting. Either it is becoming corrupt when the information passes through to your ISP or it is already corrupt on your machine. The cookie will save the information as to what size font you have selected per site. So if you go to yahoo.com and select you wanted it to be 2pt for some unknown reason and you come here and select that it is 12pt you should be able to go back to Yahoo and still be in your 2 pt setting.

If you have to adjust constantly then there is an issue that you need to look at with your cookie or your ISP passing the wrong cookie information. If it is the second of the two choices then it is nothing that FF can do other than swear at your ISP. Considering that iPrimus and a few other ISP cache servers have been hitting us like crazy for the last two days I would assume that they are caching the unaltered version or a version that someone at that time is surfing.

If it is a corrupt cookie on your end...which is easy to determine, by logging out of here and killing all instances of the cookie. Remember that there are 2 and depending on the OS you are running 3 places you will have to delete these. Once you have done this you will need to come back to FF login and adjust accordingly. Once you leave and come back you should not have the issues. If you do then it is your ISP that is playing this game on you as a customer. What is the worst part about that is they are also not sending you the latest information. Even though we have the correct information in our set up to send no cache headers to your ISPs. Again this is nothing that we can do to resolve it.

When I standardize the font to 10pt it will not be adjustable in IE either. That is why we went to this standard. Because of th ecomplaints that people could not read this site

It is a catch 22. I please a few because they ISPs in AU are crap and standardize it but brush away those that can not see it. Or I allow the floating point and the ability for all to read it and a few are upset that they have to adjust. Scary part is that we are not alone in this matter. More sites are going this route, simple due to the fact that it is going to be a standardized format.

again if you are having to adjust constantly then i would first suspect the cookie issues. Second I would suspect that it is the ISP and how they are caching information from here. Also, I know that this soulds like a broken record, but it would be wise to update your browser to the latest and get the latest updates for it.

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
Ok, so let me get this right. I should be able to change the font size in my browser, and it will only change for the page (site) displayed at the time. No other sites should be affected if cookies and/or ISP are in order?
I may have a problem with that as my cookies are set to high security (Netscape).

Rick.

·
Registered
10,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In NS you can adjust not only the font used but the size. If you are setting this place to size 12 then it will be a size 12 here and where ever else you go. In other words with NS you can set the font to whatever size you like and if it is set to 12 point here and you want to have it set to 2 pt then that is the standard for your browser at all sites nt just this one. IE makes things a little more simpler.

NS users also miss out on a few other things that we have on this site, but hey if you want to use that browser it is your choice.

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
To get IE to set a default font size for each site, you will have to set it, then close all pages that you have open from that website, otherwise if you set it for one, then close another, last, that wasnt set the cookie will be written to say use font of the last closed page.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts