Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah i guess this thread is a sub thread for the Forte Vs Exec thread that "Scooby Pete" posted.
We were very close to getting an AU but ended up with a mint condition EL. I felt that if the finances were there, i would of liked to have the AU instead.

So i'd like to ask the panel of experts here who drives an AU, what do you about it overall. I'd like to hear comments good and bad, and overall satisfaction as a car.

So type away guys...
;) ;)

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
I currently own an AU XR8 and have just traded in my EL XR8, i get asked a lot about comparison between the two. I really love both cars, the main difference for me is in the handling. Au is so much better in high speed corners than EL. I also used to get back ache in the EL from the seats and i havent had a problem in the Au.
Fuel comsuption etc.....about the same.
Build quality is about the same also, i have just fixed this annoying rattle in my AU, couldnt work it out and it was giving me the S%$#, tracked it down to be inside the front passenger seat!!!!

hope this helps:rolleyes:

·
Australian AU 1 Futura Member
77 Posts
From back to back test driving (after which we had to have the AU) and research done for our website (www.trueblueford.com):

The AU creams the EL in the following areas:
1/ Headlight performance.
2/ Handling - of all models - especially the wagons and XRs.
3/ Steering - much more direct, exceptional steering feel for those of us who like their steering to feel accurate.
4/ Quietness.
5/ Engine harshness - even in AU1 the AU romps all over the EL.
6/ Repair costs - compare the ABS module location on both models. The EL is in front of the LHF wheel just waiting to be damaged in even the smallest of collisions - the AU sits on top of the RH inner front guard.
7/ Availability of Independant Rear Suspension (sedans only).
8/ Bake hardened outer steel panels - much less prone to those anoying car park dints.
9/ Fail safe cooling on the 6 cylinder petrol models.
10/ Far less likely to do the head gasket in 6 cylinder models.
11/ Better aerodynamics - noticeable fuel economy difference.
12/ Stronger front suspension design.
13/ AU2 has vastly superior brakes.
14/ For non IRS equipped cars, slightly better accelaration due to a lighter body shell.
15/ A much smoother engine (6 cylinder) with plenty of changes made to enhance fuel economy. Much more willing to rev.

But not everything goes the AU's way. Here are some things that the EL has over the AU:
1/ A far more acceptable shape to the general public.
2/ Missing items - to save money Ford deleted many items from each specification level in AU - many of these were re-instated at AU update and more again at AU2.
3/ Better entry angles on door openings - far less likely to bang your head.
4/ The AU's alloy front cross member can be subject to damage in extreme conditions - far less forgiving than the EL's stamped & welded K frame.
5/ The EL uses a copper radiator core with removable plastic tanks - can be cleaned out & rebuilt. The AU has a aluminium core and has to be thrown out not rebuilt.
6/ Suspension clunks and noises can be a problem in AU1 - but seldom effect the vehicle's performance.

I'm sure there's heaps more to add to this list - but that'll do for today. And besides, I need to stop typing this and get back to working on the site! Hope these help...do not hesitate to write if you require any more information.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Duggy,

Nice site there mate, just had a browse though it the..;)

Yeah i thought in general the AU would be superior to the EL in various aspects.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
EF_Falcon_GuY said:
Duggy,

Nice site there mate, just had a browse though it the..;)

Yeah i thought in general the AU would be superior to the EL in various aspects.
Good to see you here Doug. Welcome!

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
XLR8 said:
I currently own an AU XR8 and have just traded in my EL XR8, i get asked a lot about comparison between the two. I really love both cars, the main difference for me is in the handling. Au is so much better in high speed corners than EL. I also used to get back ache in the EL from the seats and i havent had a problem in the Au.
Fuel comsuption etc.....about the same.
Build quality is about the same also, i have just fixed this annoying rattle in my AU, couldnt work it out and it was giving me the S%$#, tracked it down to be inside the front passenger seat!!!!

hope this helps:rolleyes:
I had a rattle in the seat as well. Front passenger side. Never heard anything like it. Dealer reckoned they couldn't do it under warrenty as it was not covered so I told them that if it wasn't fixed the speakers would need to be and they were under warrenty. Even at idle the sound was incredible. They couldn't fix it as it turned out and only damamged the centre console when they tried to remove it! They thought I wouldn't check.

Au has my vote as well, although I must admit that the standard Au that I drove didn't feel to be as lively in the auto matic as the older model Ef series. Driving the Forte and XR series is like two worlds apart

1 - 6 of 6 Posts