Ford Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah i have a question,

I my car when i go down the gears say 3rd to 2nd when the gear is in neutral between changing from 3rd to 2nd i give the accelerator abit of a tap to keep the revs higher, is it a good thing to do that. ...:confused: :confused:

I realise double clutching is not necessary in a modern gear box, but keep the revs up when changing gears makes the gears go in easier.

·
blue blooded ford fan
190 Posts
thats how i tend to drive, mainly coz i have a real ****ty gearbox and the stock clutch, and im trying to save both from torture at changin at 7k. :)

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Matching revs like that is often called heel and toeing (if you do it the right way). It's the right way to do it! Saves the clutch too!

(Laminge take note?????)

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahh thats cool then, at least i'm now sure i'm being nice to my gearbox and clutch.

Is keeping the revs up a good idea when going up gears as well???

I got a friend who drives a VH commo and he's double clutch crazy swears by it, I always thought that double clutching will wear the clutch twice as quickly plus it's too slow in quick changes.

·
7,777 Posts
Without going into the intricate details, the idea is to match revs so that when you select the next gear the difference in engine to gearbox shaft revs is minimal.

So, when changing down gears, a blip of the throttle is the go. When changing up gears, let the revs die. Sounds easy - it isn't. That's why car boxes have synchros. If you drive a truck with a constant mesh gearbox you have to match revs precisely or it's crunch time (loud noises etc).

As for double clutching, on a constant mesh box it is often easier to not use the clutch (I don't when driving trucks). However, synchro boxes don't like double clutching at all! Worn synchro boxes will however respond well to double clutching since they are essentially becoming a constant mesh box (by default).

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
As for double clutching, on a constant mesh box it is often easier to not use the clutch (I don't when driving trucks)
WTF?? How do you get the bastard into gear then?? Love to know how this works on a split shifter??..

·
7,777 Posts
Ford Man said:

WTF?? How do you get the bastard into gear then?? Love to know how this works on a split shifter??..
When at a standstill, by pushing the clutch all the way to the floor you engage the clutch brake which stops the input shaft to the box. If the teeth align you grab a gear. Once you get going the gears slide in easily as long as you match the revs (even easier than most synchro boxes). The 13/18 speed Eatons are actually made so that you shift fast and using a clutch is often too slow. Double clutching in the bottom box would be next to impossible. Using a clutch on split shifts is often a good idea (depends on driver preference).

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
The box in the supercars is called a clash box and is extremely strong and built for it. If you notice all drivers go up with out the clutch but not many of them come back with out it.
I learnt the hard way that it is indeed possible to change gears with out a clutch in a modern car. I didn't believe it put my money where my mouth used to be and lost.
Good driving is matching the engine rpm to the road speed.

·
7,777 Posts
I drive without the clutch often in the car (forget I got out of the truck). Synchros actually make it harder though :WH: :nuts:

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
I drive without the clutch often in the car (forget I got out of the truck).
And you're getting into laminge!!... :rolleyes: ;)

·
7,777 Posts
Ford Man said:

And you're getting into laminge!!... :rolleyes: ;)
Aaah yes, but my clutches and gearboxes last a lot longer!!!!!

BTW; I have got my clutch guy researching those ceramic clutch kits for the 185/200/220kW engines. Hopefully have an answer tomorrow on kits and prices. Apparently they are becoming very popular so you can buy the whole kit brand new :cool:

·
Bring Back the 24hr!!!
5,809 Posts
I have been known at times to change gears without the clutch in my car, I can do it easily, the trick is to do it <i>well</i> with the same ease lol! ;) :D

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Tried clutchless change in the pizza bomb. Didn't like it much, forgot to lift! I always double clutch in manuals regardless of how old they are, habit I pickedup learning in a 4wd van. Opens eyes when you do it in a brand new Mercedes!

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Aussie Pete said:

Aaah yes, but my clutches and gearboxes last a lot longer!!!!!

BTW; I have got my clutch guy researching those ceramic clutch kits for the 185/200/220kW engines. Hopefully have an answer tomorrow on kits and prices. Apparently they are becoming very popular so you can buy the whole kit brand new :cool:
I too will be interested to see what this will cost (ceramic)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
7 Participants
HSE2
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing