Ford Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

As you can see from the pictures, the timing marks on the chain have moved from whenever I timed it.

I followed the normal timing procedure and then turned the crankshaft a few times. Every time I turn the crankshaft the color links get further away, but as you can see, they are the same number of links off on the cams and on the crankshaft.

Is this just normal, or am I missing something?

·
Super Moderator
964 Posts
Thats normal, you would need to turn the crankshaft a certain number of times (the number escapes me) for it to realign again. You have to remember the crank and cam gears are different sizes and will turn at different speeds causing your issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats normal, you would need to turn the crankshaft a certain number of times (the number escapes me) for it to realign again. You have to remember the crank and cam gears are different sizes and will turn at different speeds causing your issue.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
964 Posts
I would still keep turning it a couple of revolutions of the crank just to be sure there is no resistance (the valves aren’t hitting the pistons). I don’t know if you have ever done a timing set before but to me it would be intimidating on a mod motor. I’d be that idiot who put them 180* out lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's two rotations of the crank for every one rotation of the cams.
Don't forget the basics, four-stroke engine=720 degrees crank rotation for every 360 degrees of cam rotation.
I turned it many times, and every time the chains came around, they would be two links more offset.

·
Administrator
8,326 Posts
Somethings seems off about this. Every two rotations of the crank and it should line up correctly.

I wonder if a lack of oil pressure at the tensioner's is creating enough slack and letting the chains slip at the crank gear? I'm old school and not up on newer vehicles. That's all I can think of.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Somethings seems off about this. Every two rotations of the crank and it should line up correctly.

I wonder if a lack of oil pressure at the tensioner's is creating enough slack and letting the chains slip at the crank gear? I'm old school and not up on newer vehicles. That's all I can think of.
The chain tensioners are already on. The chain definitely didn't slip. Both the 2 colored links and the single colored link are the same amount off (2 links every time they come around).

·
Administrator
8,326 Posts
If its the same amount off every full cycle then you're going to have to pull it back apart and re-align (time) it. After you do that, the colored link should line up every full cycle. Be sure to allow for slack when you do this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If its the same amount off every full cycle then you're going to have to pull it back apart and re-align (time) it. After you do that, the colored link should line up every full cycle. Be sure to allow for slack when you do this.
It was like this:
1. I timed engine, both color links lined up.
2. I installed the chain tensioners.
3. I rotated the crankshaft to test it out.
4. When the color links rotated back into view, the camshaft color links were two links ahead of the timing mark, and the crankshaft color links were also two links ahead of the timing mark.
5. I rotated the crankshaft many times (~10), and every time the color links come around, they are two more links off.

I think that because they are the same distance off (2 links) every time they come around, that this must be normal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your are kind of correct here.....Every two rotations and the MARKS ON THE GEARS should be in the proper location, however the marks on the chains will not be and here is why:
The chain has 122 links
The cam gear has 42 teeth
The crank gear has 21 teeth
On two revolutions, the cam gear only contacts 86 out of the 122 links and the crank gear only 42 out of the 122 links, therefore if you keep doing the math, in order for everything to line up again perfectly, the crank would have done well over 10,000 revolutions.
Timing marks on chains are there only for one reason, and that is to assist in setting timing initially during installation, after that they are just regular links that happen to be marked differently.

·
Administrator
8,326 Posts
I believe you NFortin. I come from the days where you align the dots and there is no colored link on the chain. This sure threw me into a headscratcher.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your are kind of correct here.....Every two rotations and the MARKS ON THE GEARS should be in the proper location, however the marks on the chains will not be and here is why:
The chain has 122 links
The cam gear has 42 teeth
The crank gear has 21 teeth
On two revolutions, the cam gear only contacts 86 out of the 122 links and the crank gear only 42 out of the 122 links, therefore if you keep doing the math, in order for everything to line up again perfectly, the crank would have done well over 10,000 revolutions.
Timing marks on chains are there only for one reason, and that is to assist in setting timing initially during installation, after that they are just regular links that happen to be marked differently.
Thanks! That put my mind at rest.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts