Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago my wife and I separated. She took one car and I the other. The Laser (KQ, 1 year old) that she took was registered in my name and so was the loan. The Falcon that I kept was both registered and had the loan in both our names.

I wanted to update the car so both my wife and I arranged to meet a Ford Finance manager at the dealer that we bought both the cars from. The idea being that She would ‘sell’ her half of the Falcon to me and I would trade it in, registering and financing it in my name only. She would then re-finance the Laser in her name and I would ‘sell’ the car to her. That way, I’m not responsible for her loan or the registration of the car. The date was set for an early Saturday morning.

I got there early as I had to sleep at work over night and the wife met me there. Things started to go down hill when we walked into the dealer and no one knew anything about it. The finance manager had broken his arm a couple of days before and was off sick. All they could say was sorry there is nothing we can do. I asked why didn’t anyone go through the guy’s appointment book and let people know. No one had an answer, they just asked whether we could come back another day through the week. As we both work and now live at opposite ends of Sydney this was not an option. Luckily one of the salesmen used to do finance so we sat down with him.

After the paperwork was done, we stayed to talk to a new car salesman about me buying a new car. My wife signed the rego over to me and vice versa and was assured everything was sweet. She went home and I stayed to pick out what I wanted. Then the ‘Finance manager forgot to get my wife to sign some paperwork and the salesman forgot that she also needed to write a letter letting me sell her half of the car. My trade in price was very disappointing with promises of ‘I’ll see what I can do’ and that he will get me a Ford polo shirt. In the end, I said I don’t care what they give me as long as the new repayments aren’t over a certain amount. They then came back with repayments that were several hundred dollars under what was originally stated. The handshake sealed the deal. It wasn’t until I started thinking about it that I realised how cheap it sounded. When I asked about it they quoted me a 5 year loan with 30% balloon. Thankfully the repayments on 5 years without balloon were about the max I was prepared to pay.

I was assured that the new car would arrive before I flew to Tassie for Xmas. I asked that they keep the car until I came back but was told that wasn’t an option as they didn’t want it sitting in the showroom. Two days later still no word on whether the finance had been approved so I rang them and was told that they would ring back, no one did. The next day I rang and was told the same and finally late that afternoon I was told that the loans had both been approved. Which was a good thing as one couldn’t be approved without the other and vise versa. No one rang to tell the wife for another two days, she found out from me. The following day I rang them and inquired about an alarm system and was assured that someone would ring back, no one did. The next day I rang and once again was assured that I would receive a call, once again no one did. The third day they rang and the alarm was ordered. We were also told that my wife will have to ‘sell’ the car to Ford then they will ‘sell’ it back just to keep the paperwork in order, but it’s routine and nothing to worry about. All she will have to pay is $25 transfer fee.

A week goes by with no word on how the car is going or what is happening. I get a phone call Saturday morning asking me to come in straight away to choose the custom leather. As soon as I got there, I was told that he had other customers, pointed to my car in the corner and said have a look. On his way out he asked me did I want a coffee and got someone else to make it for me. So here I am in the middle of an empty showroom looking like an idiot. He comes back, throws some leather samples on the table and said have a look I have another customer to deal with. So I take the sample and sit in my car deciding what to do. I then go back to the desk where they put me, only to find that he has put his other customers in my seat had pushed all the samples and my coffee to one side, losing the colour combinations that I was looking at. He then dumps me with a Woman who tries to sell me their paint protection that if I order now, gets me a car alarm and window tint. Too late, I’ve already ordered tint and an alarm. After that we both sat there and told each other our life stories (quite pretty too, should have tried for a date!) until he comes back. I asked for a delivery date and was told next Tuesday.

Wednesday, after having heard nothing I dropped in to the dealership to find out what was happening and was told it will now be Thursday afternoon. When I got home, my wife rang me saying the dealer had just rang her. They just remembered that the car needs to have a safety check before they sell it back to her (after all, it’s a used car). Could she drop everything and bring it in the next morning and could she kindly pay $600 in stamp duty and transfer fees (on a car that we already own). She rings Ford and complains to them as she was told that she would pay $25. When asked who told her that, she was informed that that person no longer worked there (no wonder!) and that its because of this that they discourage people from re-financing and why didn’t she get a personal loan?

I get a phone call this morning from the dealer saying that they hit a snag with the delivery of my car. I told him that I had spoken to my wife about it yesterday and I already know what he is going to tell me. I can’t pick up my car until my wife has hers sorted out. I was told that they are going to take the paperwork to her this morning and that now I can’t pick up my car until tomorrow afternoon. I have spent this week sitting at home in case they wanted me to go and pick up the car. I also planned to drive to Newcastle to see the Folks before I fly out, which now isn’t happening. I rang my wife again and told her what was happening as once again, no one from the dealer has told her any thing. She rings them and, yes, was promised that some one would get back to her, no one did. After another two calls they rang her to say that they will drive out to pick up the Laser, take it for a safety inspection and drop the car back to her today.

So that’s where we stand. A brand new Laser with less than 15000 kms that has just been serviced needs a safety inspection at the last minute that they have had nearly three weeks to do. My car might be delivered tomorrow afternoon after being told it would be Tuesday. I get to drive it home and that’s as far as it will go for a while as I’m busy Friday and fly out on Saturday. Thankfully I have someone looking after it, it won’t be driven but at least it’s safe. I don’t know why they just can’t hang on to it and I’ll pick it up when I get back. I hope it isn’t too late tomorrow as I asked on Monday for the rego number so I could arrange insurance. Don’t worry I was told, you can use our phone when you pick up the car.

So a big thank you to the guys at Ford for making this an absolute nightmare to both my wife and I after already going through the stress of a marriage break up. The only reason I bought from this dealer was because the best car salesman I’d ever met used to work there and that I have bought four cars from (two from this dealership, as well as securing them sales from people whom I’ve told them about and two from his previous one). They sacked him as he passed on an impropriate email that everybody else that worked there was passing on. They got cautioned and he was sacked as they had a problem with him not wanting to work weekends anymore.

Be assured that the BA is the last car I buy from them. Maybe if Ford worked on it’s customer service, it would be ahead in the new car sales stats.

·
FPV Tasmania Member
961 Posts
man that whole experience sucks mate, I feel sorry for you, but can you really blame Ford?
Its the dealer and their staff, mate i would have told them where to stick their car if they had treated me like that, and as for not holding it till you got back, I would have insisited, or taken my buisness elsewhere.

Well at least you are coming down here for a couple of weeks , hope you enjoy, if you see a Narooma Blue TS50, give me a wave, I have the only one in Tassie.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Wow thats quite a story.
I know once your knee deep in a situation its hard to back out, but to be honest I would be voting with my feet. This isnt a corner store transaction here, its a big $ transaction, and I'll be damned if I would put up with that level of non service for my $.
And how they could not know you were going to be hit with stamp duty for changing ownership is beyong me. In fact, I'd say it was bordering on "deliberate omission" to keep the deal rolling. That is a very bad mistake to make.

Sorry to hear its all a nightmare, hope it smoothes out soon!

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Well given that whole story, I would rather take the car and put in storage for 2 weeks then leave it with them, you would find they have used as a demo car, or sold it to someone else, then claim delivery problems and make you wait another month.

Hope you get the car complete with everything you asked for and 100% ok, check it 10 times before you leave, and make them sign in writing for anything thats wrong.

Jason

·
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TS50 said:
man that whole experience sucks mate, I feel sorry for you, but can you really blame Ford?

Well at least you are coming down here for a couple of weeks , hope you enjoy, if you see a Narooma Blue TS50, give me a wave, I have the only one in Tassie.
It's not Ford as a whole that I'm blaming as you are right. As a company they are not responsible.

However the dealerships are Ford's representitives.

I buy a new car every two years and have had some bad experiences with Ford dealerships. The only thing that has kept me in this deal and not telling them to stick it is that I really want this car. As soon as I take delivery, then it's over.

I'm more sorry for my wife. Though we have seperated, we are still good friends. She can't afford $600 out of the blue like I can. That's why I just gave her half the money to help her out.

TS50 - if you see an idiot by the side of the road waving at you. Don't be alarmed, it's just me!

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
Dude, that truly sux.
I hope you have written a letter similar to this to the dealer and copy in Ford (be sure to put in the letter that you are copying HO).
I'm fuming on your behalf ! :p

·
Senior Events Moderator
1,710 Posts
Whoa after reading this I have a headache. I can uderstand how stressfull this is making you feel, this is really beyond a joke. Who is this dealer so we can all make sure we dont go there my friend. Nothing worse parting with all this cash and getting not one ounce of servie for it. Since the BA has been released and selling very well the dealers have gone from trying to get you a good deal to down right arseholes and just worried about how many falcons they are going to sell. You had already agreed to buy the thing so its like bugger this clown lets make some more money with these other people sitting over here. Thats definatly not the right way to be a salesperson. This is down right appauling

·
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AU1SIXA said:
You had already agreed to buy the thing so its like bugger this clown lets make some more money with these other people sitting over here.
That line has summed up my thoughts exactly.

I've paid a lot of money for this car with the options, he has his sale now I get treated like crap.

Since writing this thread.

I get a phone call from him asking an I near a fax machine. Seems there was more paperwork that they forgot. Now I have to sign some papers agreeing to selling the Laser and write a letter giving my wife permission to sell her half of the car. Isn't it luckly that I bought myself a fax machine three weeks ago? That saved me from having to run to the post office.

They picked up the Laser did it's safety check and dropped it back to her this afternoon. The guy asked my wife if the salesman has called her again. It seems that she needs to sign some other papers and that they will bring them out tomorrow (Friday).

Now why didn't they bring it out today? That now assures me that I won't get the car delivered until the afternoon as they have to drive across Sydney and back for my wife to sign these papers.

Now I understand that there is a vast amount of paperwork that needs to be completed to buy and sell a car.

What has annoyed me from the very beginning is that:

1. They won't keep in touch to let either my wife or I whats going on.

2. This hasn't happened overnight. They have had nearly three weeks to sort this out. They knew from the first day that I'm going away over Xmas and need the car before I go.

3. They leave it all to the last minute, then ring me up to tell me that they have hit a snag when its been their fault all along!

Don't worry XR8 Lamah, once this is over. I'm writing a letter of complaint to the dealership and probably to Ford in Melbourne.

I wont name the dealer here as it is a problem that I'm trying to sort out. I'll wait and see if I can get any satisfaction from writing the letter of complaint.

·
a little bit sideways
1,258 Posts
bloody hell Jamie...I hope it gets sorted for you.

Ford need to keep the dealers on a shorter leash as it makes Ford look bad.

·
Stupid lamas!!!
29 Posts
i cant belive that they wouldnt hold the car for you

i had my ss held in the dealership for 6 weeks until i turned 21

·
Registered
774 Posts
That would piss me off... If they can't even pick up a phone to make a cheap phone call to keep you, the paying customer informed of your purchase, where's the customer service? They've given you a major run around. Take that free polo shirt you mentioned and anything else you can get. Obviously don't get your car serviced there :)

·
17" is for 4cyc
1,859 Posts
Jamie I feel for you,especially after what you have just gone through with your wife.

It confirms to me being in the aftermarket myself for many years the lack of professionalism in the motor industry.
Obviously theres good and bad operators from Car Dealers down to the Independent Spare Parts Shops. I see and hear more "average" or worse customer care than good.
The lack of pride and doing the job correctly with care has been taken over by "making the monthly budget at all costs".
In most cases the let down to a customer can be extinguished by "just a phone call" as soon as you can, why is it so hard to make ?
Jamies case is a classic for the Salesmans manual "How to loose future business from a customer you already had"

Not out to offend anyone as I'm sure the ones involved in the game here (FF) are passionate.

·
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I rang them this morning and got the rego and VIN from them to do the insurance.

I did ask for it on Monday but was told 'Don't worry, do it when you pick it up'

I've organised the insurance, which was a good thing as now I can't pick the car up until 4pm today. So here I am writing this to waste a little time before I leave.

So if I had done what they said and waited to do it when I actually got there, I might not have got it done before they closed. A cover note is no good as I'm going away and it will be finished by the time I get home.

So I get to drive it home before locking it up and going away. Unless 3FB members talk me into a late night cruise tonight :clap:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Just think how great it will be knowing that when you get back its there waiting for you oh the anticipation

Thats Big Kev material right there mate!

·
17" is for 4cyc
1,859 Posts
So I get to drive it home before locking it up and going away. Unless 3FB members talk me into a late night cruise tonight :clap:[/QUOTE]

:bsr: a late night cruise tonight :AAHHH: you bloody bet mate, all those nice Fords arn't meant to be locked up all night !!!!

·
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think that the salesman was aware that I wasn't happy.

I picked up the car late yesterday afternoon and all he kept reminding my of was the customer survey that they will send out.

It wasn't just a casual mention either, he kept on going on about it.

Anyway, the car is now home and hopefully it's all over and done with. The first service will be completed at this dealer but none of the others. They have lost my business.

At this rate I'll be running out of dealers in Sydney to buy from!

·
Lord of the RC
2,515 Posts
Thats one fine looking car there

Congrats at least you got it in the end there

What a saga from those dealers, thats really a pretty poor attempt on their behalf

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
Congrats on finally getting the car Jamie, she's a looker! Hope it's all smooth sailing now ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts