Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford Crown Victoria
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Find out how you can help support Wikipedia's phenomenal growth.

The Ford Crown Victoria is a variety of automobile made by the Ford Motor Company and sold mainly in the North American market.

The first "Crown Victoria" appeared in 1955; it was a 2-door 6-seater hardtop coupe, part of the Ford Fairlane range, that differed from the regular Victoria model by having a lower, sleeker roofline and much more stainless steel trim, incuding a stainless steel band that 'crowned' the roofline, passing right over the car, as an extension of the B-pillar line. That model did not outlast the 1950s.

In 1979, Ford brought back the name on a deluxe version of the LTD full-size car line. It was recognizeable by its four headlights with amber turn signals beneath them (base LTDs had two headlights, and clear turn signals in the grille). There was a 2-door coupe (all steel top this time), 4 door sedan and a wagon- the wagon became a "Country Squire" if fake-wood trim was ordered. Most had 5.0L V8s, all had automatics.

By 1982 the LTD designation was dropped along with the base model. The coupe did not last past 1985. In 1992 the sedan body (production of the [station wagon] having ceased in 1991) was completely redesigned to the round, six-window shape, and there was a new 4.6L "Triton" engine. There was a further facelift in 1998 and chassis modifications for 2002.

This car, its slightly more luxurious twin the Mercury Grand Marquis, and the more expensive Lincoln Town Car are just about the only mass-produced passenger cars left in the world with a fully separate chassis as opposed to the more modern "unibody" contruction style where the body panels are load bearing members.

Some 90% of police cars in the US and Canada are Crown Victorias. Current and former police versions (the latter are often used as taxis) handily outnumber civilian models.

There has been some controversy and lawsuits in recent years over the car's tendency to explode when rear-ended due to its retention of the gas tank in the once-industry-standard position of behind the rear axle, rather than the now more common location of in front of the rear axle. The condition was exacerbated by the positioning of a sharp bolt on the rear axle, which would puncture the tank in certain types of accidents. Measures have been taken to correct the worst of the problem.

See also:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I owned a 53 Crown Vic.... flathead v-8, automatic, 2 tone paint....

The first "Crown Victoria" appeared in 1955; it was a 2-door 6-seater hardtop coupe, part of the Ford Fairlane range, that differed from the regular Victoria model by having a lower, sleeker roofline and much more stainless steel trim, incuding a stainless steel band that 'crowned' the roofline, passing right over the car, as an extension of the B-pillar line. That model did not outlast the 1950s.

In 1979, Ford brought back the name on a deluxe version of the LTD full-size car line. It was recognizeable by its four headlights with amber turn signals beneath them (base LTDs had two headlights, and clear turn signals in the grille). There was a 2-door coupe (all steel top this time), 4 door sedan and a wagon- the wagon became a "Country Squire" if fake-wood trim was ordered. Most had 5.0L V8s, all had automatics.

By 1982 the LTD designation was dropped along with the base model. The coupe did not last past 1985. In 1992 the sedan body (production of the [station wagon] having ceased in 1991) was completely redesigned to the round, six-window shape, and there was a new 4.6L "Triton" engine. There was a further facelift in 1998 and chassis modifications for 2002.

This car, its slightly more luxurious twin the Mercury Grand Marquis, and the more expensive Lincoln Town Car are just about the only mass-produced passenger cars left in the world with a fully separate chassis as opposed to the more modern "unibody" contruction style where the body panels are load bearing members.

Some 90% of police cars in the US and Canada are Crown Victorias. Current and former police versions (the latter are often used as taxis) handily outnumber civilian models.

There has been some controversy and lawsuits in recent years over the car's tendency to explode when rear-ended due to its retention of the gas tank in the once-industry-standard position of behind the rear axle, rather than the now more common location of in front of the rear axle. The condition was exacerbated by the positioning of a sharp bolt on the rear axle, which would puncture the tank in certain types of accidents. Measures have been taken to correct the worst of the problem.

See also:[/QUOTE]

·
The SVT Vic driver
24 Posts
I'm a long time fan of the Panther chassis. Panther is the name of the chassis for all Crown Victorias, Grand Marquis, and Town Cars from 79 to present.

I noticed some incorrect information in the original post so I figured I'd spread the knowledge.

79-91 had either 302 or 351 Windsor engines. 351 was reserved for police or special order due to emissions regulations. Though police package could still have the 302. 351 was available in Town Cars only in Canada till 1981. 302s were CFI from 82-85. 86 was the introduction of the Sequential Electronic Fuel Injection 5.0L engine, which ran until 91. The 351 was carburated from 79-91.

1979 and some 1980 had a C4 transmission. In 82-91 all Panther chassis were equipped with AODs. 90 was the last year for the 5.0L in the Town Car which was redesigned. In 91 there was a bastard child creation 4.6L with the AOD transmission in the newer designed body Town Car. After 91 all Panther's were 4.6L Modular engines with AODEs (later updated and renamed 4R70W).

LTD was carried all the way to 1991. 2 Door coupe was continued all the way to 1987. In 88 the exterior was design optimized for a little aerodynamic improvement. In 89 the interior was redone as well. soft top was available on either coupe or sedan from 79-91. 91 marked the last year for the "box" body line of Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis, and the end of the station wagon.

91-97 body is commonly referred to as the Aero design due to it's extremely aerodynamic design. The Aero had a Drag Coefficient of .33, far better than most compact Hondas. These Crown Victorias were essentialy unchanged underneath though. Only bolt on changes were made to the chassis.

The 98 to present body is commonly referred to as the "Whale" body. 98-02 was again mostly an aesthetic upgrade, with minor changes in the bolt on parts to the chassis. However in 03 the chassis was throughly updated. Still using the original frame as the base the front was completely redesigned, as well as the rear, though there were no significant exterior or interior changes from 02-03.

The 03-04 Marauder is also a Panther. Using the same exact chassis as all other Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis vehicle in 03-04. Only minor aesthetic difference are found between the Marauder and the others. However the powerplant was upgraded to a 4 valve DOHC 4.6L with 315hp, stiffer springs, and 3.55 gears. The Marauder was only produced in 03-04.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello there!

Recently I have fallen in love in LTD Crown Victoria and I'm thinking about delivering one of them from USA to Poland (where I live). I wonder If someone can give me a link to some web site where I can find complete Crown Victoria/LTD/LTD Crown Victoria/Crown Victoria timeline with pictures? I'm considering owning 1979-88 (maybe to 1991) model. Are there any sites about those cars with lot of info and pictures?

Greetings!

·
Grumpy old man
126 Posts
Try visiting ********* for all of your Crown Victoria questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks guys. I've also gained some knowledge looking thru supermotors.net. Watching photos and signatures made by owners I finally realized how looks specific model.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i figured the crown vic and ltd was the same but im fixin a 78 ltd for a friend and he wants to load it with power without engine swap..it has a 6.6 400 in it
i found intakes cam and lifter kits and all that but i cant find performer heads for it i tried ford racing and everything still nothing..any help thanks

·
Pantherholic
375 Posts
Panther platform line should include Lincoln Town Cars... i noticed we have Crown Vic, Grand Marq, police version, and Marauder and another thing is the early model 1992s had AOD and after had the AODE... the interior change happened in 1990 and not 1989 and can be seen by the addition of airbag in 1990 and no more dash speakers and narrower dash between driver and windshield ...

·
Super Moderator
1,055 Posts
Some early '92's did not have the AODE, they had an AOD.
These are early year production cars and can be easily distinguished by a different bellhousing pattern and a single airbag. I own two '92's, one early, one later, they are almost like different model cars. The late one has over 400,000 miles on the odo, runs like new!
I also own an '04 GM and an '05 CV LX sport. Does anybody know more about the sport's history? I have seen only a few sports, one with chrome grill and trim, which I didn't know existed (perhaps a mod by the owner). Mine has moonroof and side airbag options. I have never seen another sport with these options, but there must have been a bunch made. Was the moonroof only available on the sport?
Thanks,
GQ

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does anybody know more about the sport's history? I have seen only a few sports, one with chrome grill and trim, which I didn't know existed (perhaps a mod by the owner).
GQ

The LX Sports were monochrome on just a few colors. Black,Silver,Dark Blue, and Burgundy. for sure its possible I am forgetting one or two. The remaining colors got the chrome trim of the standard LX

·
Bryan
5 Posts
Does anyone know how to find the date your car was built? I just bought a 2011 Crown Victoria LX and I'm wondering how close to the last one built that my car is. This is the fourth Panther that I have owned over the years (89 Crown Vic LX, 97 Crown Vic, 97 Grand Marquis). I loved them all...great cars.

·
Super Moderator
7,646 Posts
The bottom right hand corner explains that the serial number portion of the VIN, 100001 to 599999, are reserved for passenger cars badged under FoMoCo, and 600001-999999 are Lincoln-Mercury. so O guess your sequence number found in the VIN-100001 would be how far along in that year. If you know how many they made that year, should give you an idea.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/ngtemplates/downloads/maintenance/VIN2011.pdf

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
19 Participants
Bajarider
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing