Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Ive got an old Ford E-250 7.3L V8 Club Wagon. The problem is that since some time Ive had the problem of air entering the diesel filter. That again has the effect that if I dont do anything the engine will crank according to how long the car has not been running, to pump out the air in the filter I guess. Ive replaced the part of the fuel return line (which goes to the fuel tank) that connects to the filter and to the fuel return system above the cylinders with a hose I can look through, so I see how the diesel slowly recedes from the filter and air goes down the hose. When I put a clamp on that hose the engine will start normal.

My problem is I havnt been able to pinpoint where the air gets into the system. Ive noticed that some diesel seems to leak now and then, and found that it drops down from the starter, which is on the front right side of the car. Ive followed it up, but there the engine block starts and theres already lots of "wet stuff" there, which Im not even sure is supposed to be there...

So, has anyone here experienced something similar or heard about? Also, is there the engine (as shown on the pictures below) supposed to be that "leaky"?

Leaky engine?

Engine 2

Where it drops

Another angle

Thx in advance,
Dio

·
wasnt me
281 Posts
when the injectors/return lines/filter/or injection pump leaks it will drain down the intake to the back of the engine coming out where it is on yours. i constantly work on these engines and the most common thing to leak is the o-rings on the injectors but could be as simple as the fuel drain on the bottom of the filter. may also need the check valve on the filter mount, its on th front of the mount(viewed from hood side) and the return hose goes to it, its purpose is too keep the fuel from draining back like you see.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off thx for the quick answer.

Ive found one leak in the fuel return lines of the injectors, but the problem seems to persist. Ive seen now that when the fuel drains down that spot, it seems to squirt out of a "crack" in the engine, as if it runs down through the engine from somewhere. I can see the air coming from the filter and down the translucent return hose. The fuel supply pump seems to be ok and dry, and pretty much everything else too. Also, there doesnt seem to be a "check valve" where the return hose connect to the filter, Ive taken the filter apart already...
Weird.

Greetz,
Dio

·
Mayan Indian
3 Posts
I had the same issue and after a few weeks found it and you will think it is funny but it was a bad O ring on the fuel filter. I was using the same old lid to the filter and the O ring had a bad spot and would draw in air.

It is worth looking at anyway let me know what you find.

Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts