Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Thursdays Age Drive section they did a 7 way test involving the soft 4x4 options here in Australia. The Tribute and the Escape took out 1 & 2 respectively. They seperated the two by saying the Mazda had a more welcoming imterior.

Fridays Drive section has Paul telling us his opinion and rates it a three out of five stars. In his article he claims it feels cheep and he doesn't like the column shift. He seems to rate the Hyundi as four stars and the leader of his selection of alternatives. In the Thursdays section the same car rates three stars and comes in at number 5 on the 7 way test.

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
One strange thing I have heard is that the New KIA Sportage is actually a fairly good 4WD in terms of build quality, and strength.
funny hey.
next thing you know Dihatsu(sp?) ferozas will be winning the Paris-Dakar rally.

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Must admit I take Govers reviews with a grain of salt these days. You could near see the stain on the seats when he reviewed the mustang. Now I like the 'stang, but I would've liked to see a fair dinkum review too.

One thing about Drive.com.au.. have you blokes noticed how at the end of each Holden story there's two web links for holdens web site and the nearest dealer (or something). Nothing on the Ford or Toyota, etc.. stories??..

·
Hawthorn Supporter
1,808 Posts
My mum just bought a Hyundai Sante Fe and it is a really good car.
Does anyone have any comments on the Sante Fe?
I have'nt thrashed it yet to see how it goes because it still has to be run in.:(

·
Shhh, we're hunting Lions
1,610 Posts
Its probably a good car but I can't see myself ever buying a Korean car, I think they are throw away cars, you drive them until they die.

Paul Gover is probably annoyed that the Age has stuff out before him so he decides he will just be the complete opposite. I think the Age article has more creditabilty than the Herald-Sun basically because there was a straight out comparison with the rivals in that market, therefore its easier to make comparisons on which is the best.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Wheels did a 5 way test of the small 4x4s in its June edition.

Sante Fe 5th
Escape 4th
Tribute 3rd
Rav4 2nd
CRV 1st

For the Ford they critized the loading height, fuel economy and ****ty resale. (which has been adjusted in the July issue from 55.4% to 61.1% after 3 years) Positives were superior ride and handling and low road noise.
The Escape/Tribute are the only ones with any half decent power aswell....

·
1,610 Posts
Wheels has the CRV as first, is that correct becasue I am sure the Age went
1 Mazda Tribute
2 Ford Escape
3 Toyota Rav4
4 ? can't remember
5 Hyundai Santa Fe
6 Honda CRV
7 Land Rover

Geez these Motoring journalists seem to only have one thing in common their love of Holden. :D

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
CRV is a piece of pretend crap. Hate the damn things. It shouldn't even be classed as 4WD! Pretend rubbish 2WD with some hydraulic RWD setup that is there for looks only.

(Aussie Pete cools down..............................................)

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
I think the Escape and Tribute are not real 4 wheel drives in my books, although they do serve there purpose for what they are.
70% drive is to the front, and a 30% to the rear when needed. There is a 50%/50% switch that supposidly puts it to full 4wd.

But the 70% front runner bugs me abit :WH: :WH: :WH:

·
1,610 Posts
What percentage of drivers who own light 4WD's would go off road, I think it would be pretty low.

Did anyone see the Fuel economy figures in yesterdays age. If not the Tribute, Escape, Santa Fe all had about the same fuel efficiency as the Mustang Cobra about 12.5L/100km. Is the Cobra good on fuel or are these little 4WD's fuel guzzlers.:p

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
Adam W said:
Did anyone see the Fuel economy figures in yesterdays age. If not the Tribute, Escape, Santa Fe all had about the same fuel efficiency as the Mustang Cobra about 12.5L/100km. Is the Cobra good on fuel or are these little 4WD's fuel guzzlers.:p
Yes, most if not all 4WD's go through a sh!tload of fuel in comparison to your run of the mill passenger cars.
My old 302 XC used to use only three quarters of the fuel of my Dad's FJ60 Landcruiser wagon,geez,now that used to drink!:eek:
In saying that though, a Cruiser is the only 4WD I'd be buying if I was into 4 wheel driving.I respect Toyota for them alone.
Russell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts