Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 3.6L Escape that has had many many problems. I am on my second transmission, 3 alternators, front bearings replaced, oil leaks, exhaust leaks, and many other issues. Do not want to put any money into it. The PTU is now rumbling and is bad. Question is, can I pull it and remove gears, leave the going the engine if needed (assuming that is not the bearing that is bad)? I do not need the 4 wheel ability. Possibly remove the rear driveshaft also.

Unusual solution but I will scrap this car if it requires any money. This is the worst car I have ever seen.

·
Super Moderator
7,948 Posts
I hate giving an "I don't know" for an answer, but I hate an unanswered question even more.

Short answer is "I don't know", never had one apart. However, I have taken transfer cases apart for rear wheel drive 4X4's and on those you can, so I'm going to say that it's worth a shot. Not sure how safe it'd be, though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 03 Escape 4WD 3.0 auto has an extremely noisy PTU/transfer case. I don't want to spend money on it (it still goes, just very noisy) so I was thinking if I could take out something from the transfer case I would get rid of the noise (and the 4WD I don't use) and possibly get better mileage too!
So fuher, I would be very interested to know how you went with removing gears from the PTU.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 03 Escape 4WD 3.0 auto has an extremely noisy PTU/transfer case. I don't want to spend money on it (it still goes, just very noisy) so I was thinking if I could take out something from the transfer case I would get rid of the noise (and the 4WD I don't use) and possibly get better mileage too!
So fuher, I would be very interested to know how you went with removing gears from the PTU.
I have not done it yet, will do in two months when it gets a little warmer. When I do I will take pictures and post. If you do it before let me know if it works or not. I think it will work. The middle gear seems to be the one that goes bad. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts