Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

My Ford F150 XLT 2011 has a rattle noise upon accelerating from a stop light or sometimes going up hill.

I recently had the issues with the IWE but those were resolved a few weeks ago.

It is a lot more louder when i use 87 octane instead of 91, i switched to 91 and i can hear it a lot less.

It seems to be coming from the right side.

it is nearing 170k miles which i'm assuming its due for another spark plug.

It also has a rough idle like the engine is misfiring or something when it is parked

What could be the issue?

·
Super Moderator
964 Posts
I agree with the ping but if there is a rough idle I would say you have more issues. What motor does it have? When was the last time it was serviced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has a 5.0 V8.
Last service was a oil change 800 miles ago. I used to use castrol synthetic but switched to motorcraft. The oil was pitch black at 2.5k miles.

·
Super Moderator
964 Posts
Might as well pull the plugs and read them. Is it smoking at all? I would suggest a compression test and ecu reset as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Might as well pull the plugs and read them. Is it smoking at all? I would suggest a compression test and ecu reset as well.

No Smoke, though earlier this morning i started the truck up it, out of the exhaust smelled like gasoline then stopped. I might as well buy new plugs and just change them out if i'm going to pull them.

·
Super Moderator
964 Posts
No Smoke, though earlier this morning i started the truck up it, out of the exhaust smelled like gasoline then stopped. I might as well buy new plugs and just change them out if i'm going to pull them.
It’ll smell like gas on startup because its running in open loop/rich. How old are the plugs anyway? It sounds like there is a little blowby if the oil is getting dark within only a few thousand miles. Could also be the front o2 sensors getting old and lazy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
  1. In
  2. It’ll smell like gas on startup because its running in open loop/rich. How old are the plugs anyway? It sounds like there is a little blowby if the oil is getting dark within only a few thousand miles. Could also be the front o2 sensors getting old and lazy.

I don't really know how old the plugs are i bought the truck in july with 143k miles.

·
Super Moderator
964 Posts
Might as well replace the plugs for good measure. Make sure the gap is correct as they aren’y always correct straight out of the box.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Might as well replace the plugs for good measure. Make sure the gap is correct as they aren’y always correct straight out of the box.

Alright will do thanks for your help also while stopped on a hill i got a check 4x4 why could that be? Light went off after restarting the car

·
Registered
13 Posts
It has a 5.0 V8.
Last service was a oil change 800 miles ago. I used to use castrol synthetic but switched to motorcraft. The oil was pitch black at 2.5k miles.
My 11 5.0 has always had a knock noise on the right side since 60-70k miles and eventually rough idling. This knock noise went away mostly after I stopped using E85. Dealer said the variable timing couldn’t adjust that much beings I was using the E85 all the time. Seemed weird that it couldn’t adjust correctly for a fuel that it is suppose to be able to use. I didn’t argue with them though and just started using 88-89 octane. The rough idle did completely go away though.
At 90k miles I changed the plugs due to rough idle and they looked bad when I pulled them. This fixed the rough idle again.
I had the truck go into limp mode at 46k miles and ran really rough where the whole truck would shake and no power. That was due to a bad vvt intake solenoid.
Could be many things. Like always, start with cheapest and simplest if no codes are showing up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts