Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people. i have a Ford Flex ...and live in Ocala. I need advice please. I'm close to Gainesville too. 30 minutes from each city on I75.
My AC is broken. Best advice please. Do I take it into the Dealer and pay the $90 for estimate? Also Sun Roof leaks.
Love my Flex. Can't afford new car now. It's May 2020....Recession bound to hit with Corona Virus shutting down all the businesses. So I'll have to
limp by fixing my Flex. A car I have loved. Big Ford Fan here!

·
Super Moderator
1,000 Posts
I would take it to a shop or two who does free estimates and has a good reputation. Perhaps someone will give you a good deal or maybe its something simple and cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ford Dealer here in Ocala charges $90 for estimate. Seems to be my only choice. Thanks for reply

·
Super Moderator
1,000 Posts
Sorry about that, not everyone does ac work or should really lol. I have a buddy that does ac he helps me with anything ac related and has taught me a lot. Otherwise I don’t know what I would do to be honest. Hopefully Ford will be fair with you then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I'll stick with the Ford Dealership. At least I'll have more backup if anything's not repaired right. I wouldn't even know of a reputable garage for A/C repair. I will certainly give my reviews on this dealership. Thanks for reply

·
Super Moderator
1,000 Posts
Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey people. i have a Ford Flex ...and live in Ocala. I need advice please. I'm close to Gainesville too. 30 minutes from each city on I75.
My AC is broken. Best advice please. Do I take it into the Dealer and pay the $90 for estimate? Also Sun Roof leaks.
Love my Flex. Can't afford new car now. It's May 2020....Recession bound to hit with Corona Virus shutting down all the businesses. So I'll have to
limp by fixing my Flex. A car I have loved. Big Ford Fan here!
I'd check FordTechMakuloco

·
Super Moderator
8,378 Posts
Well, I am an AC tech and I can tell you that if you have to open the system, you are better off paying someone because you probably don't have the tools to preform the work properly and can damage the system or end up paying someone to correct your errors (which is never cheap). There are a few things that can be done without opening the system. First, find out if the clutch is getting power. If it is you may have a failed compressor or a bad clutch. to test the clutch:

If the clutch is functional as well as the compressor find out if your low pressure switch is opening. That would be the switch on the low pressure pipe, which id the fat one the comes out of the firewall and goes to the suction of the compressor. If that is staying open most or all of the time, you are likely to be low on charge. The switch could also be faulty, but that's a little down the list of likelihood. If it seems to be low on charge, check the data plate for the AC to determine the refrigerant (I gave up trying to keep track) and purchase the kit at any automotive store. Charge per instruction and if yo are continually needing to add charge, you need to get a leak repaired.

If the high pressure switch is on the high pressure pipe, that's the pipe that's not as fat as the low pressure, it comes out of the compressor and goes to the receiver/drier and then a coil at the radiator. Your radiator fan may not be working right. When in AC, at least one fan must be running (it may be that two are needed) to verify functionality, check continuity on the HP switch. If it is open most of the time, you aren't cooling the refrigerant and need to check the fan(s) or clean the coil. If everyhting seems to be in order, you're going to need an AC tech that understands the refrigerant cycle and the saturation charts for your refrigerant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts