Votes: 14 48.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mistress Death Metal ;)
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... didn't we have fun today! Started out at 9.30am at the security gate of the Geelong plant. A brief introduction was followed by a chance to get our hands on a Ford Forums raid t-shirt (Fantastic shirts, if you want one let VenomS know he has really done a great job with them:D Thanks again VenomS you're a legend!)

We boarded the tour trains, put on our very attractive safety glasses and earphones and set off for our tour. All eyes were wide open for any "unusual" objects lying around the plant.;)

The tour was followed by a talk by Brians Knowles on Ford and motor racing history in the Geelong auditorium. Brian's passion for his subject was very evident and a lot of very interesting information was shared. :cool:

After a quick photo opportunity out the front of the plant (I don't have a digital camera so no pics yet) we headed off to lunch at a local hotel. Guess whose table was first up to the servery?;) :D

Next we all headed down the road to the Discovery Centre where everyone got a chance to look at the displays and also got to check out the Ford Australia archives. This was the first public group ever to be allowed to do this and I think everyone enjoyed seeing the amount of information we have down there. (even if it is messy at the moment) :p

The final stop was the giftshop where we had special one off discounts for all attending the trip. The Tickford t-shirts proved to be popular. The raffle for the GMS framed photo and the video was drawn, congratulations to Wasa and Jeff White for scoring the prizes. :cool:

I look forward to hearing what the others thought of the day, I've got to say that although none of what I did today was new to me, the enthusiasm of the others on the trip made it a day to remember. And it's only just begun!!!:D

Felicity:cool:

·
Mistress Death Metal ;)
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DONUT KING said:
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! stop making me regret not being able to go damnit!!! :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
DK... there was talk last night over pizza about the possibility of this becoming an annual event. Of course I told them to forget it after all the hard work it has caused me trying to organize the trip, but I think that given time (and a few stiff drinks ;) ) I could consider doing it again.

:cool:

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
hehe as long as it isn't the same time as uni and or bathurst i'll probably be in for that, i'll even pay for the few stiff drinks ;) :wink2: :D :cool:

sounds like a great event anyways, and Bathurst practise starts tomorrow so that is some small consolation :D

·
ex-Ford owner
519 Posts
Excuse me for asking a slightly off thread question here Discovery, but you made mention to the fact that you all had a chance to see the Ford Australia archives.

Are these archives containing records about the manufacturing of all the vehicles?

Reason I ask is that with other makes and models I've owned in the past, through various groups it is possible in some cases to supply your VIN number and a fee, and in return get a new copy of your factory build sheet and other papers that the factory used in the manufacture of a vehicle.

I was curious to know if Ford offers such a service, or allows other trusted 3rd parties to search through the archives and compile this information.

·
BSR Twin System (tm)
4,751 Posts
If I had seen you go past I would have waved. I promised Discovery and Space Lord I would.

·
"Bloody Beautiful"
415 Posts
WE KNOW WE KNOW WE KNOW

·
Mistress Death Metal ;)
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
XYFalcon said:
Reason I ask is that with other makes and models I've owned in the past, through various groups it is possible in some cases to supply your VIN number and a fee, and in return get a new copy of your factory build sheet and other papers that the factory used in the manufacture of a vehicle.

I was curious to know if Ford offers such a service, or allows other trusted 3rd parties to search through the archives and compile this information.
Send me an email with your specific request including VIN number and i'll see what I can do. Unfortunately we won't be able to do much in the way of chasing up info over the next few weeks as our historian has gone on holiday but I will pass it on to him and see what he comes up with. If he does find info for you there is no charge to have a copy of that information sent to you unless it requires colour copying.

Email [email protected]

:cool:

·
Registered
10,552 Posts
you guys have to rub it in dont ya. thanks. i am stuck here on the states side and did not even get a chance to go and play over there.

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Day "1" was indeed fantastic. The Geeeeelong plants were an eye-opener, I was blown away by a lot of aspects - the size of the lines, the size of the pressing machines, the number of 6 cylinder engines in crates!!!

The engine plant was fascinating too, seeing everything from intakes to cams being made and assembled.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
el2xr8 said:
Day "1" was indeed fantastic. The Geeeeelong plants were an eye-opener, I was blown away by a lot of aspects - the size of the lines, the size of the pressing machines, the number of 6 cylinder engines in crates!!!

The engine plant was fascinating too, seeing everything from intakes to cams being made and assembled.
I want one of those Tickford Inline 6's, they had millions of them surely one of them missing wouldn't hurt. :D :D

Oh yeah at the archives in the Discovery Centre, Mike raided the EL archive box while me was looking n the EF archives. I foundout that for the EF1 built from Sep94 they only made 245 or so Manual Wagons i betting that in Polynesian Green my baby is the only one. As rare as a GT Falcon. :D :D :D :D

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
What a trip.. For those who missed out you should be kicking yourselves 'cause you missed some great stuff.
Looking forward to the next get together.. :D

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Ford Man said:
What a trip.. For those who missed out you should be kicking yourselves 'cause you missed some great stuff.
Looking forward to the next get together.. :D
Ooooooooooooooooh yeah, definitly looking forward to a next gathering. Hopefully i can bring my baby down as well. Geez it's sooo boring today goin back to work and doin uni stuff, i wish i could wind the time back.
Had the madest fun

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
kicking myself? Mate i think its better to kick those who disabled us from attending the trip. GRRR bloody TAFE.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts