Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to see Ford back in class 8 heavy duty trucks! Whaddayasay Ford?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Hudson and I could write a 20 page letter here like I did to Bill Ford and got a one page response from a dummy who intercepts his mail. First of all they needed a plant to build the new Super Duties so instead of building a new plant they sold the Heavy line so they could free up Louisville, Kentucky. They justified this by saying they weren't happy with class 8 sales to the independents, and their 10 percent marketshare was too little! The reason for their slip in sales was because someone at Ford was asleep at the wheel! C-series virtually unchanged from 1957! L-series the same story from 1971 to 1996! Then they redesign it, which must have cost a few hundred million and sell it for $ 300 million probably to recover redesign costs! Actually they GAVE it away! Do I have to say more? Ford was emasculated by that deal and now Nasser is emaciating the whole company! I have a book, "The History of Ford Trucks", which proudly tells of Ford's contributions to the fire service, construction industry, bus and school bus sector and more. Now I await the book, "The DEMISE of Ford Trucks! Their class 7 sales are nil! You can't be in medium truck sales without being in class 8 sales!

·
Ford Member
103 Posts
While much of what you wrote was correct, Class 7 sales are ALWAYS small, no matter if you sell Class 8s or not.

In the US, 2000 calendar year sales for all trucks were:

Class 8: 211,553
Class 7: 122.614

Ford is, however, tops in sales of Class 6, Class 5, Class 4, Class 3, and Class 2.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
I can't say how pleased I was to see the demise of L series. Reliable but what an awful truck to drive. No legroom, rough as guts, real bad steering, and a clutch/gearshift that required double joints.

Maybe it's just Australian roads...... :eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts