Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the impending exhaust job on the XR6, I rang my insurer (Swann) to check if they'd cover the modification. Unlike some, they said they wouldn't modify their policy to cover anything like that, so I was advised to shop around for another insurer. Makes sense, as Swann policies often get sold with new/near new cars from dealers, like mine.

So I did the phone quote merry-go-round.

Shannons computer spat out over 3 grand, but with being in the Tickford club etc, the figured was lowered to $1885. However, I could only get insurance if I installed a Brant immobiliser (www.brant.com.au). Just Car insurance wanted $2132, and naturally provided mods are legal they didn't mind. Torque Underwritings wanted $2900, and other I was recommended to (including some by other insurers) wouldn't touch the car, including Unique Car Insuracen who said no purely because they car might be driven into Sydney!

I did try Ford Insure, though I wasn't sure they'd go with the modification. But they did, and the premium was a mere $1400 for an AGREED value of $38000. I'm currently paying $1500 for market value. Naturally, mods like a supercharger will mean hunting elsewhere later, but it seem Ford Insure will cop other reaonsable mods, provided of course they know about them including lowering no more than an inch below standard.

For guys like minge, Pete, Blown AU, these guys aren't much good, but if your Ford is stock, or not majorly modified, give them a go - the premium might surprise you. I couldn't get cheaper quotes from NRMA, or other insurers when the car was bog stock with a market value policy!

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Are dealers offering Ford insure as an insurance alternative for new car buyers or are you left to find out for yourself.

I ask because I haven't seen any advertising at dealers down my way!

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that Ford Insure is in fact NRMA. Anyhow, that's good news at getting reasonably priced insurance on your beast, here's hoping you never need it.:eek:

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, not NRMA. Ford Insure are underwritten by SGIO.

·
Ford Member
259 Posts
Seems like the choice of a Dealer offering is upto the Dealer.

My local Dealer - City Ford are switched on for this and knew all about it - or you can call 1800112260.

Beats my why a Dealer wouldn't offer it.

·
Australian BA XR6 Falcon
1,249 Posts
Venom S said:
Shannons computer spat out over 3 grand, but with being in the Tickford club etc, the figured was lowered to $1885. However, I could only get insurance if I installed a Brant immobiliser (www.brant.com.au). Just Car insurance wanted $2132, and naturally provided mods are legal they didn't mind. Torque Underwritings wanted $2900, and other I was recommended to (including some by other insurers) wouldn't touch the car, including Unique Car Insuracen who said no purely because they car might be driven into Sydney!

I did try Ford Insure, though I wasn't sure they'd go with the modification. But they did, and the premium was a mere $1400 for an AGREED value of $38000. I'm currently paying $1500 for market value. Naturally, mods like a supercharger will mean hunting elsewhere later, but it seem Ford Insure will cop other reaonsable mods, provided of course they know about them including lowering no more than an inch below standard.
Jeeezus, those insurance premiums are staggering!! I pay $390 for my EF XR6, just got a quote for an AUII XR6 and XR8 - $428 and $511 respectively, not sure what they would say if it was modded but I can't see a new exhaust adding much to the premium?

Kieron

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: Ford Insure

Kieron said:
Jeeezus, those insurance premiums are staggering!! I pay $390 for my EF XR6, just got a quote for an AUII XR6 and XR8 - $428 and $511 respectively, not sure what they would say if it was modded but I can't see a new exhaust adding much to the premium?Kieron
Depends on the insurer, policy, etc. As an agreed value policy, I didn't alter that value when adding the exhaust in so the premium stayed the same. I guess if they feel a modifications makes it more likely to be stolen, then a premium increase might be warranted.

One thing I didn't mention, was that both Shannons and Just Cars have a 'theft' excess on top of normal excesses, Ford Insure have no such excess.

The premiums are staggering, but that's what we pay for living in crime-ridden Sydney. :(

·
Ford Member
259 Posts
Premiums are one thing but not all insurance policies are created equal.

Cheap insurance - expensive excess?

Or worse still what parts or repair process is used?

I'm sure their are lots of horror stories out there?

Its always good to go with someone you can trust.

·
Shh i'm huntin more power
1,764 Posts
Re: Re: Ford Insure

Kieron said:

Jeeezus, those insurance premiums are staggering!! I pay $390 for my EF XR6, just got a quote for an AUII XR6 and XR8 - $428 and $511 respectively, not sure what they would say if it was modded but I can't see a new exhaust adding much to the premium?

Kieron
Kieron, where are those prices from....

·
Australian BA XR6 Falcon
1,249 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Ford Insure

Jase_ELXR8 said:

Kieron, where are those prices from....
FAI, I have been with them for years but i'm in Perth, so that may make a difference.

Kieron

·
Ford Member
259 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Location, location, location

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Kieron. I don't have any stats to back it up (ring the insurance company) but I dare say an XR8 would be more likely to be stolen from Sydney or Melbourne than Perth.:eek:

·
Australian BA XR6 Falcon
1,249 Posts
Bluey said:

OK, heres insurance on the current car (EF XR6)

Company - FAI
Market value = $22,000 = $390/year
60% protected NCB (had it for a good few years)
$150 excess for anyone age 30 or over
im 37 (was 34 when I first got it)
Free car hire in case of car being stolen
Live in Perth (safe suburb etc)

I've had to make 2 claims over the years with FAI, both times the service has been excellent
one car was stolen (EA Falcon) -

called FAI straight away, hire car was organised for the next morning, car was found and automatically all 4 tyres where replaced, new brake pads all round, disks machined, all new lock barrels - converted to the tibbe's, replacement parts where all new Ford components.

XR6 broken into - called FAI, told to take it the nearest FAI approved smash repairer, new lock, new dash trim, smashed aftermarket CD player replaced with model of my choice up to $600 value, the CD player wasn't even listed on the premium as an option.

In both cases, I was given an automatic $100 cash for loss of personal belongings too

All in all, can't get much better than that :)

Kieron

·
Registered
540 Posts
this will shock you i brought my 2nd car a year ago i was 19 and had a licence suspention. i was looking for an ef/el xr6 i rang just car insurance who i had a policy with and the quote was
-$3800 if there was no finance or
-$4200 with finance.
so i looked at some options rang companies that said we insure sports and modified vehcles and they laughed at me.
i got my mother to ring RACV and put me as a nominated driver the quote was about $1200 then that got me thinking maybe i could get an xr8 i got another quote for an xr8 and it was $1800
which was less than i was paying for a modified eb 6.
I ended up buying an EL 11 xr8 185 kw it also has some miner mods brakes, suspension, exhaust, s wheel etc i get a rating even tough i am a nominated driver and they did'nt care that i was still on P plates i could have brought an au.

·
Ford Member
259 Posts
WINGED, it may be worth reading the details of your policy. If the car is yours and in your name not your mother's then you may not have any real cover at all!

Depends on insurance company to insurance company but I would hate to see you need to claim and find out afterwards.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Venom:

Did you end up getting in touch with Greg at Prestige?

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I didn't get the chance yesterday, busy day. I'll try and get in touch before lunch today.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts