Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ford leads the FIA World Rally Championship after claiming a double podium finish on the prestigious Monte Carlo Rally today. Markko Märtin and Michael Park were second on the opening round in a Focus RS World Rally Car with Ford BP Rallye Sport team-mates François Duval and Stéphane Prévot third in a similar car after three days of tough competition in the snowy and icy French Alps. Ford holds a four point lead at the top of the championship.

"It's been an incredibly tough rally," said Märtin. "We've had snow, ice and fog and these Monte-type conditions are quite new to me so to finish second is much more than I expected. This weekend has been playing on my nerves for a long time. I was close to leading on Friday but on Saturday morning I lost so much time in the fog. Perhaps I need to eat more carrots! I set out to get second place back and managed to do so but I've been counting down the stages and I'm glad it's over. It's a great start to the season for Ford and now we've got to keep this up for the rest of the year."

Third for Duval matched his career best results, set in Turkey and Corsica last season. "I'm really happy to start the year on the podium," he said. "Markko was very fast over the Turini stage on both occasions and I prefer to be third than risk everything and crash. I've enjoyed this weekend a lot, taken no risks and made no mistakes. The conditions have been tough, especially on the Turini today, but I like that. My Focus has been perfect all rally and two cars in the top three, on one of the hardest rallies of the season, is a great way to start the year."

From http://rally.racing-live.com/en/

Go the mighty Focus :wnc:

Cheers... Tim

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
DAMN I'd sell my parents for a bodykit like that and a damn fine looking set of Oz Racing Rally wheels... GO YOU GOOD THING MARKKO!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Great start to the year for THE MIGHTY BLUE OVAL . Plenty more to come throughout the year. Bring on the V8's can't wait.

·
Just give me an excuse...
3,949 Posts
fantastic result by ford. Hope the momentum continues throughout the year :)

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Dude it's been all over the TV!

The Foci are looking bloody sexy out there and right on the pace too! - Looking good for Ford this year in the WRC, I'm not a hardcore rally fan and I'm looking forward to the upcoming rounds!

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Donut King said:
they withdrew from the WRC to focus on their F1 campaign

They run in the F1?! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :hl:

·
Registered
407 Posts
When was Toyota last in WRC? I can't remember them (only been watching WRC last 3-4 years).

This year Ford, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Peugot and Citreon are competiting. Hyundai are returning in 2006 or something, and Skoda are returning this year for round 6.

·
Phantom XR6T
111 Posts
That was years ago when they were racing the Celica GT4. They returned with the Corolla but were not that good and then they pulled out.

·
I am The Brain
3,073 Posts
Yeeehah! Go the Foci!

Good to see they are starting the year off quickly, lets hope they can continue the pace throughout the year. The only results I was hearing about the rally were with Citroen leading, ahead of Peugeot....and hadn't heard the Fords were going fast. Good work boys!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Nice to see Duval up there for once. Normally he destroys his car within the first 5 stages! The Focus is usually good on tarmac as is Loeb. That bloke is usually unstoppable on tarmac as is Gilles Panizi. Bring on the fast rallies like Finland then you will see a Focus win!

·
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
JamesM said:
This year Ford, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Peugot and Citreon are competiting. Hyundai are returning in 2006 or something, and Skoda are returning this year for round 6.
Hyundai are competing in 2004, with the Accent WRC. They finished 9th and 11th in this rally of Monte Carlo, although from what I can tell they are privately run cars. The previous factory team is on a break, though, as James said.

This year is probably Ford's best crack at the championship, as Peugeot have the new 307 WRC to develop, and Mitsubishi have their new Lancer. While being quick last year and winning rallies, it needs to string a few together and take this thing out.

Here is the new 2004 Peugeot 307 WRC

And the 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer WRC

Cheers.... Tim

1 - 20 of 30 Posts