Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
Anyone knows how to unscrew the brake calipers, now i know the question sounds stupid.
But the screws on my brake calipers are stuck, i broke the screwdriver trying to removing them. And Unfortunelly i dont have an extension, or a break bar.

·
Super Moderator
20,674 Posts
Dont know why you would use a screwdriver to remove the slider bolts unless I'm misreading the post . As far as I can remember it was a 7mm but you need good quality as cheap ones will just round off . Give a good soak in a penetrating oil before hand

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dont know why you would use a screwdriver to remove the slider bolts unless I'm misreading the post . As far as I can remember it was a 7mm but you need good quality as cheap ones will just round off . Give a good soak in a penetrating oil before hand
I used the word screwdriver because i dont know the name of that tool iam using. However i tried using an anti rust spray, and a hammer, and still was very hard the rubber on the brakeCaliper conceals the bolt, and the spray cant get in.

·
Super Moderator
20,674 Posts
Spray it from the other side from the rubber , between calliper and carrier .Get rid of the rubber if needed .The Allen key you tried is too short for leverage to loosen it , Using torque socket wont help and may have damaged / chewed up bolt head insides .The correct socket on a T bar and hammering whilst loosening might shock it and uncrack it if not too damaged .If worse comes to worse , some heat might help but dont overdo it or you will damage calliper piston seals .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, i will give it another go. The problem i came to face i have admit is, i saw some kind of wrench with an extesion and the price was 60€. Ive paid 30€ for that set of Allen keys in the blackbox. Iam sure a longer tool might work better.

·
Super Moderator
20,674 Posts
It looks like your ratchet is slipping on the teeth when you try to loosen . That ratchet is no use for this as pins are always solid . If anything you should be using the sliding T bar at the bottom of the case but even that is too flimsy .That price is crazy as you can buy the likes of this in car accessory shops or motor factors .

You could try that but even with that type you sometimes have to put on a piece of tubing for extra leverage . What is best is a 1/2 sliding T bar and a good quality socket . Hammer the socket to make sure it is right home into the bolt head and the bar should then crack it .

p.s
If you have to resort to heat , make sure any penetrating oil is cleaned away in case of fire .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes that T bar was exacly what i wanted to get, and its at a good price, to bad you can only get this things online. I didnt mentioned in the posts above, but i did use a lighter to heat the middle of the screw, and a tube in the wrench, thats how i broke it...lol.

I just found out another problem, unfortunately is not related with the title of this post, but i feel like posting it.
this past summer i had to remove the inside plastic of the doors to remove the side mirros. Now with the rain the driver side door is getting filled with water, that thing sounds like a washing machine in there. Obviously the door drain pipes are stuck. I just hope it will hold past the winter, without messing with the door electronics. So in the 2020 summer i can go to my grandparents house again were i have the garage and tools and get that fixed properly.

I live in a street full of traffic the only place were i could get the door fixed is a parking lot, and i cant do that with a bunch of people looking at me.

·
Super Moderator
20,674 Posts
This is the type of T bar I meant , Heating with a lighter is a waste of time , not enough heat .

Water in door is usually easy to clear and caused by drain holes clogged . Most times simply clearing the drain holes at base of door with a thin rod / wire is all that's needed .Two min job . We used to use welding rods to clear the drains but a wire coat hanger will work fine .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, your answers are great, i will try a small wire or some kind of paper clip. I was basically just going for removing the whole inside of the door again, but that should work for now until the rain season passes.

·
Super Moderator
20,674 Posts
You usually need something thicker than a paperclip to clear the slots that are blocked. Good luck , glad to help .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts