Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Probe Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the only things that surprised me about the Probe was that even in 97 you couldn't get a CD player with the car - either an in dash unit, or a separate stacker.

Did the US version EVER come with a CD player? Are you guys all having to install after market units like we have to?

·
Big Daddy
357 Posts
yeah the 1st and 2nd gen's came with cd's as an option. one of my friends had a 94 with a stock cd and i looked at a 91 lx that had one as well.

·
Probe Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tony95pgt said:
yeah the 1st and 2nd gen's came with cd's as an option. one of my friends had a 94 with a stock cd and i looked at a 91 lx that had one as well.
Are there still current part numbers for these? Can they still be obtained new from Ford?? I saw a 2nd hand unit on eBay - but there were some 'wear' marks which I'd be keen to avoid. This will probably be a more expensive option that to go 'after market' with an Oz sourced unit, but I'd like to consider it.

Considering the geographical challenge/time difference - and the fact that emails I've sent have generally been replied via 'Bot' - do you think you could do some detective work on my behalf?

Thanks for your reply, Tony.

Regards,

·
Big Daddy
357 Posts
i'm not sure if they are still available from ford. i would guess so being as it's only been 4 years since the probe was discondinued.. but i'm not sure what the numbers would be...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Still available

Ford might still get be able to obtain the CD players, but they are very scare. Be prepared to pay out of your ass for them. As far as model numbers go, I can yank my unit and check for a model number.

Personally, I think for the money you'd be better off just getting an aftermarket head unit. OR maybe if you go junkyard hunting you might get lucky

·
Probe Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RX3, thanks for the offer. Don't bother at the moment - as I'm not ready to do anything anyway. It's a shame that it costs so much to replace 'original'. You'd think there would be some degree of competitive nature.........but as you say - aftermarket is going to be more cost effective.

·
Mod/Probe GTS Member
33 Posts
If your looking for one, its the same deck used by the "Mach" system in the mustangs as well as a few other fords.

·
Probe Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, another question.

I've managed to get myself ANOTHER stock Probe stereo. "WHY?" I hear you all saying........

I've noticed on other Oz Probers that the 'paint' on the buttons wears off :mad: after not very long at all..............

My stereo is in MINT condition. Heck, my car has only done 21K kilometers (13K miles)

What I want to know is if anyone has found a 'coating' that can be put OVER the buttons to stop this wear......

I like the stock look - and had thought of an aftermarket FM modulated CD system so I can keep the dash looking the same. I'm gonna swap my mint stereo for another that has a little wear until I find the answer.

Hope to hear from you soon.

·
Probe GT Member
21 Posts
my car has 147k miles on it

mone of the buttons show signs of wear.

but i have seen it on other cars that have the same head unit such as a lincoln town car '93

1 - 9 of 9 Posts