Ford Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ford Swooner
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. :priest: Love the topics you all have going, and its helped me pretty much, but i have a tough one for you.
Can anyone advise me on the Territory and its towing ability? Looking at using a AWD to tow a 1800kg 21 ft caravan. :driver:
I am also tossing up with a patrol and landcruiser, but i dont want a monstrosity. Any advice?
Also should i hook up a tranny cooler?

Cheers, Liontamer :beerbottl

·
fordmech
315 Posts
I think the heavy duty pack is only rated 1500 kg, and the towball even less, so I'd say nay. the tranny cooler depends on what transmission you're looking at, for example, ZF 6 speeds already have a cooler fitted, as do the SY 4 speed I think, not so the SX (2002-2004).
Cheers
marc

·
Registered
15 Posts
In reply about Territory toeing capabilities I tow a single axle 1300KG 16 foot van with an AWD 6s peed SY. I use a heavy duty Ford tow bar rated at 2300KG with maximum ball weight of 230KG. I also use a Hayman Reese Load Eqaliser hitch. All up weight with gear is about 1650KG. Everything tows extremely well.

It is true the 6 speed AWD SY has a tranny cooler as standard./

John Hodges

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hello,

Even with an oil-cooler, you may need more. The best way to kill an auto is to overheat it. They arnt cheap either, so I would ask a few transmission shops what they would recomend.

Weazle

·
Registered
15 Posts
Territory and Towing

As I understand it, the "normal" towbar has a rating of 1600KG and has a bolt on gooseneck type ball.

The heavy duty bar is rated at 2300KG and has a 50mm square hitch receiver. This is what I have on my SY AWD 6 speed.

I also have a light weight ball with a square shank to fit the receiver which I only use for a box trailer.

John H.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi, I have a oct2004 rwd terri done 65000k, 47000k of which have been with a 17.5foot caravan (1900kg loaded), ford heavy duty 2300kg tow bar fitted and weight distribution bars used.
This car is in my experience is the best tow car I've ever owned, and very well suited to my size van, very stable and comfortable due to its long wheelbase and wide track.
Transmission cooler is mandatory with the heavy duty tow pack and running in 3rd perf mode the auto doesn't overheat even into hot north winds.

some other facts, Tyres lasted 60000k, fuel consumption on around oz trip last year (17,400k) averaged 18.4L/100k that's with 98% towing in that distance.
Also no mechanical problems whatsoever.

Ford got this one right.:driver:

Bilbo

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bilbo, Couldn't agree more about the towing performance of the Territory. My van is 16 feet and tows like a dream. The AWD 6 speed auto has an oil cooler as standard.

Pity about the knock in my front suspension which Ford refuses to fix!! Can't even find the damn thing!! Otherwise top vehicle.

John H.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well that is interesting. Just went out to my 6sp 2005 Auto Ghia and what looks like a oil cooler in front of the a/con and traced the pipes back and one end goes to the Power steering fluid and the other to the steering arm.
So where is this standard auto trans cooler located???
If my information is correct, the auto box does not even have the facility to attach a oil cooler.

·
Ford Swooner
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pop the car up on a ramp/hoist, and trace the lines from a 45 degree angle form the tranny. This is the only way you can see it. All AWD models now have standard a finned, alloy plate, air to oil aux. tranny cooler - as well as a power steering cooler. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, looking into buying a second hand Territory for this very purpose. I'll be towing a horse float, with usually one, but sometimes two horses. I'd guess the overall weight would end up being 2000kg or over with both horses on.

What do people think of RWD v AWD for towing? A dealer we spoke to said to go with the RWD as they are more economical, but I'd be running it on gas anyway, and when I looked at the stats there was only a very small difference between them in litres per 100km. As we were thinking, what's the point in getting a big car that can't do 4wd, and what if at a comp I park on grass that's a bit boggy...maybe the AWD would be better.

Also, on the ford website, it said to gain full towing capacity of 2300kgs, you need a heavy duty towing pack (or something like that...) which looked like it would be an extra cost, as well as an auxilliary transmission cooler and load levelling kit.

Anyone have any thoughts or knowledge on the above? Regarding pricing and necessity.

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
G'day Aimz14,

Re Territory towing: I tow a 16 foot (internal length), single axle caravan weighing all up with gear, etc. approx 1400-1500kg with my AWD 6 speed auto Territory Ghia. It has a transmission oil cooler as standard. I use a Ford heavy duty (2300kg) tow bar and Hayman Reese load eqalizer hitch. I have no problems. I do not believe you could tow a horse float with animal/s with a 1600kg tow bar.

The H.R. hitch is adjusable whereas I think the Ford H.D. hitch is not, but not sure. Cost of towbar and hitch is approx $1200.00 I think.

I generally average between 16 & 17 l/100lkms when towing the van and driving between 85 and 90 kph.

Hope this helps.

John Hodges

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks John.

Because our budget is limited, we were looking at maybe just going for the 2004 TX model, which I've seen advertised in the mid 20k range. I would assume the cooler would have to be installed in one of these. Curious to know how much it would cost. They look like great cars, but it seems that it's gonna cost me in extras to get it to do what i want it to! Hopefully I just fall across an amazing deal...:muha:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.