Ford Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Explorer ST and 2020 Escape Titanium Hybrid
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for instructions to install the Ford Vehicle Security System - Perimeter Plus, KN1Z-19A361-A in my new 2020 Explorer ST. Anybody have an idea where to download them? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
22,592 Posts
From what I've seen , simple job and comes with instructions .

Someone who has already fitted one
"
Installed on a 2019 Raptor.
Part # KN1Z-19A361-A
Came with the module, 6 zip ties, a jumper, some stickers, and manual."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, R.S.; I already have the kit, purchased with FordPass Points! The "Owner's Manual" that came with it says nothing about INSTALLATION. Closest thing I've seen is for a 2015 F-150 but I don't know how similar that would be to the NEW model 2020 Escape Hybrid [or my other car: 2020 Explorer ST that takes the same kit].

·
Super Moderator
22,592 Posts
Ridiculous they dont supply installation instructions .The ones I've seen were simple plug and play and then set up with Forscan but your vehicles and year models MAY be different .Sorry I can find no more info at present to be of help to you with this .Sometimes a call to your dealership and asking nicely to speak to a Technician for help / clarification pays off .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, R.S., you've been most helpful. As I mentioned in one of my posts, my Ford dealer farms out the installation to a third-party shop. I already have a request in with the Parts Dept where I bought the kit but they were too busy to help right away. They may come thru in a few days. Did I mention I 'bought' the kit with FordPass points out of the 42,000 I got for each new car? I could install it myself but I may need the FORScan tool unless the Intelligent Access/Push Button Start key fob can be programmed in-situ. With all the smart display screens in the Titanium Escape and Explorer ST, you'd think it is possible. After all, the car/SUV has built-in BlueTooth and the FordPass 4G/LTE cellular modem that's used for updates. A lot of the posts relate to adding the Remote Start feature that's part of the kit, but I've already got that with the IA/PB key fob and FordPass. I bought the kit for the two-stage shock sensor and don't want to mess up the installation to the point of it not working. With my EE background I'm just curious enough to want to know how to install the kit even if I end up helping the economy out by paying $60 for someone else to do it [unless my dealer will take more FordPass Points instead of ca$h]. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
22,592 Posts
I myself would be wary of hooking it up on your vehicles , especially being so new and you already have some of the functions already as standard with your spec Another reason is I always had Auto Electricians to do this type of work and usually kept out of their way and let them get on with it apart from sticking my nose in occasionally . So I'm not the best on electrics .

A quick one ,
A few years back , while up at St Andrews where the Open Golf Championship was in session , there was a brand spanking new Rolls Royce parked . It drew petrol / gas heads ( myself included ) who wanted to examine and see this beautiful creation .Unfortunately for the owner , it had a proximity alarm which was armed and went off whenever anyone got within a foot or so of the vehicle . In this case it was very often ! .He was either demented with it going off , at the golf or couldn't care less as no one appeared to see what triggered it . Probably the latter knowing the price of the car !!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah! Bonnie Scotland😃 We had the pleasure or overnighting in St. Andrews and brought back to Michigan a ball and tees that had been played on the auld course. I'm not a golfer but a Ford vendor friend had requested a souvenir that a friendly Scot so willingly provided. .
Back on point: Ford's perimeter alarm is quite rudimentary compared to the RR, requiring a breach of the locked doors or hood to sound off -- not just being in the proximity of the vehicle. The optional Vehicle Security System [VSS] that I intend to install adds the two-stage shock sensor and will detect widow glass breakage. I had an unfortunate experience a number of years ago that I don't want repeated. I had installed an alarm system on a Ford vehicle that I was leasing and removed it before returning the car back to the dealer. Within a couple of days, my wife drove over to Windsor, Ontario, for an evening of line dancing. While at the venue, someone smashed the front passenger side window and got away without a peep from the car😫 We will be travelling with the new Explorer ST and want an added measure of security with the VSS while parked in motel lots overnight.
Thanks for all the inputs. I have located the installation instruction for the 2020 models and it appears to be easy with the plug-n-play cables and self-learning key programming using a specific sequence of Push Button Start actions. Shouldn't need the dealer to do that or FORScan either.

·
Super Moderator
22,592 Posts
We get a lot of visitors from worldwide at St Andrews and Edinburgh , a large proportion from the States . On one visit while we were standing at the clubhouse , a group from US were heading to the first tee when one spotted my Lab dog . He came over and said he was badly missing his dog back home .We spent a good few minutes talking while he played with our dog before getting dragged away by his buddies .
Good you got the instructions and can now install and enable the alarm . Hope your cars are trouble free , enjoy your travels and be safe , best wishes .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,
I have purchased this same item for my ST and cant find the installation directions yet as well? Any luck?

I have used this on my 17 raptor and 20 super duty. Simply plug and play into the back side of the OBD2. 15 mins tops install..
Now with the Explorer, the parts websites shows it works for it but I can't find the spot yet? Only thing I found out but have not tried yet is there might be a module just above the OBD2 behind the dash that it might plug into but having found yet..

Any luck?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Attached is the VSS installation instructions for the 2020 Explorer. Good luck!
I thought it would be no problem for this EE with 40 years of experience, but I was wrong! Instead of being a simple plug-n-play, I could not find the plug I was supposed to remove and re-plug into the harness provided with the VSS kit. As much as it hurt my ego, I decided to help the economy recover and went back to my Ford dealer. He called in his third-party alarm installer and collected my $80.00. The installation looks nothing like it is supposed to, with a rat's nest of loose wires and the VSS module loosely dumped into the space below the fuse panel. At least it works, sort of! I had to turn the sensitivity knob down half-way because it started honking the horn randomly and just about every time I locked the door and turned my back. Oh, well; that's my story. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
So looks like page 5 right?

Attached is the VSS installation instructions for the 2020 Explorer. Good luck!
I thought it would be no problem for this EE with 40 years of experience, but I was wrong! Instead of being a simple plug-n-play, I could not find the plug I was supposed to remove and re-plug into the harness provided with the VSS kit. As much as it hurt my ego, I decided to help the economy recover and went back to my Ford dealer. He called in his third-party alarm installer and collected my $80.00. The installation looks nothing like it is supposed to, with a rat's nest of loose wires and the VSS module loosely dumped into the space below the fuse panel. At least it works, sort of! I had to turn the sensitivity knob down half-way because it started honking the horn randomly and just about every time I locked the door and turned my back. Oh, well; that's my story. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So looks like page 5 right?
I Wish!!!
If it had looked like that, I could have saved my eighty bucks. I felt all around behind the fuse box and couldn't find anything that resembled that. Dunna know if the ST could be different, but I gave up.
Let us know if you have better luck than I.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well after some time.... ok a lot of time... since my last post... I found the gateway plug and installed the perimeter plus module. 30 minutes to find the plug. 15 minutes to complete and install. Start by disconnecting the car battery. Then I recommend removing the kick cover. 2 screws on bottom front, 1 in the rear and one to the lower right. I just left the led plugged in and placed the cover to the side. Then there is a blue/white sensor that can be removed but I didn't and worked around it. Right above the blue/white plug is the gateway plug. Tight spot! Press the latch and push up to release the plug. The take the ford provided harness and connect the removed male gateway plug. Plug in the female harness and then plug the male harness into the female gateway plug. Then plug in the small male harness plug into the shock module. I believe the module comes set on high sensitive. I recommend that. Now security is higher and if you use the fordpass app and if the alarm is triggered, it will now send your phone a message. If you don't have remote start this module will allow remote start. You just need to insert the provided jumper. Your car came with remote start? leave the jumper out. Add led indicator if you purchased. Closed all up and tuck in the module in the back the way you would like, connect battery and there you go. Lock car from key and its armed.

My first video.. nothing special. Won't win an award with this video. But should help with install.
I've completed this on my old 17 raptor and my 20 superduty. Completely different install on the 20 explorer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just received my 21 Bronco full size...not Sport. Had dealer install module and behind glove box and behind dash is where they tie strapped it. I park vehicle on busy street and mainly why I got this. Now Everytime a loud car or motorcycle goes by alarm goes off. I installed led light myself. I didn't pay much attention to box and shock sensor setting. Just plugged in led light wiring. Assumed dealership adjusted shock sensir. Question...is there a shock sensor sensitivity knob on this Ford FSS module/box?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well after some time.... ok a lot of time... since my last post... I found the gateway plug and installed the perimeter plus module. 30 minutes to find the plug. 15 minutes to complete and install. Start by disconnecting the car battery. Then I recommend removing the kick cover. 2 screws on bottom front, 1 in the rear and one to the lower right. I just left the led plugged in and placed the cover to the side. Then there is a blue/white sensor that can be removed but I didn't and worked around it. Right above the blue/white plug is the gateway plug. Tight spot! Press the latch and push up to release the plug. The take the ford provided harness and connect the removed male gateway plug. Plug in the female harness and then plug the male harness into the female gateway plug. Then plug in the small male harness plug into the shock module. I believe the module comes set on high sensitive. I recommend that. Now security is higher and if you use the fordpass app and if the alarm is triggered, it will now send your phone a message. If you don't have remote start this module will allow remote start. You just need to insert the provided jumper. Your car came with remote start? leave the jumper out. Add led indicator if you purchased. Closed all up and tuck in the module in the back the way you would like, connect battery and there you go. Lock car from key and its armed.

My first video.. nothing special. Won't win an award with this video. But should help with install.
I've completed this on my old 17 raptor and my 20 superduty. Completely different install on the 20 explorer.

I missed the bit about the jumper. That's all I needed. Thanks for the tip!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts