Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guys over at ls1.com had this thread running recently, and it was huge. Have read of...
http://208.238.17.66/ls1forum/Forum29/HTML/001840.html
and...
http://208.238.17.66/ls1forum/Forum29/HTML/001854.html

Most of the stuff in this is off topic waffle (a lot from Ford Man and DK too :D ), but theres a few remarks in the first page of the first part that are on topic - and having read those, what are the thoughts of those here?

If Holden improved the build quality, handling, interior, or other elements, would any consider swapping the Blue Oval for the Holden Lion? I realise most are waiting now to see what Ford delivers with the AV, but for the point of this thread, base the comparison on the AU1/2.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Yes I would only because the dealers know I will not buy the other product. They take me for granted and don't work hard enough to get my business. At my last trade I got shafted and my subsequent attempts to get in to AU2 were very disappointing. We don't really have the number of Ford dealers to compete against down here. I reckon I would only need to do it once!

·
Ford Roadster Member
11 Posts
To trade brands just because the AU may have been a disappointment is just like selling your soul to the devil. You need to look behind the obvious and make a conscious and righteous decision.

You need to pay some attention to the history and the reputation that the blue oval has managed to uphold so far. It is far to say that the AU has been a disappointment for a lot of people, but that doesn't mean you trade in your brand at the first sign of weakness during tough times.

Ford Fans! Stay focused, there are greener pastures just around the corner!!!

Long Live The Blue Oval.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Errrm, "cough cough", I generally won't switch brands that easy, as the GenIII has already put me to the test ;). I believe ford will only get better over the next few years, so i don't see my self moving.

I guess what it really comes down to is how good the holden is compared to ford, if it is only marginally better then i won't convince me, but if ford decide to throw a dodgy like replace the falcon with a front driver from the US, with a V6, then i'm takin my money to the dark side.
Well thats my say...

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not in the least bit disappointed with my AUII, and added to my healthy brand loyalty is why I'll stick to Ford. :D

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Hehehe i think this thread will prove who are genuine ford fanatics of this forum. :D :D
Good to hear that someone is very happy with their AU2 VenomS. :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Mr. Embargo
3,745 Posts
I wouldn't switch to holden, even if Ford no longer existed in Australia. If I was forced to switch to something though I think I would go for a V-8 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

·
Shhh, we're hunting Lions
1,610 Posts
I too wouldn't switch to Holden. If I was to buy another make it would probably be a Nissan because my parent Skyline has been such a good car.
I am a big Ford fan so I will always have a Ford in the garage, its the second car that might be something other than a Ford ( not a Holden though).:D

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Simply put, the only quantitatively better aspect of the Commodore is the GenIII. Everything else is either the equal of, or worse than it's Falcon counterpart (apart from subjective topics like looks etc). This alone is not enough to move me. So basically, with aftermarket or FMS input, this quantitatively better aspect can be put to rest. ie. the Falcon provides ultimately the better all-round package.

It's easier to make something go faster in a straight line than to make it corner with poise and finesse. I'll stick with the Blue Oval for the time being, thanks! :D :thumbup:

And as for an answer set in the context of future models, I think my comments above will bear fruit and the new wave of engines will finish off the dribble coming from the critics, leaving the General with no quantitative advantage. Simple as that!

Mike

·
How bloody Hot is it ??!!
264 Posts
me in a holden.. oh please.. no way....

Unlike me my brother sold out... had is EL Xr6 and as soon as the AU launch was on, he took it to down to the dealer for trade-in with chequebook in hand... he was about to trade her in and then had second thoughts after testing one for a while.. he then went on to get a HSV Xu6 and swears he won't go back now.. he reckons that equipment level and power that he has now is better than ford had/ still has now..

My answer is... well, still is only a commodore...<grin> Of course he rants that nowhere on it does it say Holden or Commodore. It's almost too easy to get him going ..

·
1,610 Posts
My God someone actually bought an XU6 :D, my answer is why!, why would you waste you money on one of those, they sound like **** and in my opinion go like ****. Surely if you were going to spend that amount of money you would but an LS1.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
The only way youd get me into a Holden is if they imported the Corvette (but id remove the Holden badges anyway ;) ) I will respect their cars and I dont 'hate' the company, but ill never buy one.

But that doesnt mean ill only ever own Fords, It'll be more than likely that ill own a Mitsubishi, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, BMW etc sometime if they have a product that im interested in at the right price.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Hehe sounds like your brother doesn't know how a blown Ford IL6 will perform. Comparing a stock XR6 isn't apples to apples with an XU6. Hmmm me smells a powerdyne supercharger for the IL6 making 240kw easy is the go.

Hell for 53 something they charge for XU6 i'll go an XR8 anyday.

·
1,610 Posts
The XU6 costs $53,000 :eek:, oh my god I though they would be mid 40's. You could buy an XR8 or SS and have money left in the pocket for other things like engine mods.;)

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
I would, in fact many times in the past I have contemplated jumping ship. I would buy a Holden although I would always be a Ford person I don't see the problem with acknowledging a superior car and buying it for that reason, although @ the moment the only thing the Holden is superior in is styling and straight line speed, the Falcon is the overall better package I believe.
Anyway I'll not be buying another car for about 12 months os we'll see what I buy when I do decide to buy, so far it's looking like an EFII, as long as I can find a manual sedan.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Would I switch to Holden?
Yeah I would, after DK admits his RA is a real hottie!:nuts:

·
Ford Roadster Member
11 Posts
Comparison with Xu6

You can't compare the XR6 base performance to that of the XU6. Look at the price for one! You need to compare apples with apples!

V

·
0 Posts
Depends, if Ford became a full overseas company, importing ALL cars, i would possibly, but i would rather go after a JAP car than a tinnyodore

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I thinkyou guys are forgetting a thing called reality. I know many a Ford person that own Vt or Vx commodores. They think they are ok and freely admit that the Falcon is a better car to drive. Why do they own these cars then? Money!!! When push came to shove the Holden dealers came to the party with better deals. These guys have familys to feed and sometimes the head has to rule the heart. When you get down to a $2000 saving it means a fair bit to some people especially when the money is borrowed. Sometimes it is not possible to get what you want in life and you have to settle for less.

·
Administrator
5,119 Posts
I think the Gen 3 Holden is a good car and the HSV's are good looking.They have the power and cubes i would love to have in our Ford's but i am a Ford man through and through and won't buy a Holden for that reason. I own other brands of cars such as Subaru but i think Holden vs Ford car racing has polarised many people including myself. I certainly hope that there are people that sway between the two or Ford will struggle to get buyers back.I do think tho that the Commodore is the only Holden on sale in NZ that is worthy the rest are no good.Ford's lineup as a brand is better even tho i am biased and Ford is involved in a lot of competitive motor racing around the world compared to Holden.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts