Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Sex on wheels
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I've driven my AUII XR8 (premium brake package (not brembo) for 45,000km only to discover after replacing the pads once at 20,000kms, i now need new pads and Rotors which will cost me over a grand to replace.

After ringing around, i discovered that a few brake shops around town get 80% of their business replacing Ford rotors. To save myself having to replace these again, i'm going to get some after market DBA rotors installed next week.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

·
Sex on wheels
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey guys, i just spoke to Ford Customer not Care who apparently haven't heard of any problems with their Rotors. I decided to contact the man at Herrods who confirmed how shit they really are developing huge lips around the outside.
I'm amazed these actually met Australian design standards.

I like to upgrade every 3 years, but this incident has signifficantly tainted my desire to get a Ford GT this year.

·
100MPH Hunter
1,045 Posts
yep, see the thread in the suspension/brake section of the forums.

How do you get over a grand to replace rotors. I got mine from autospeed.com.au for $532 for fronts. Then $120 for pads, I was thinking of doing the rears at the same time but am unsure.

·
goooone
2,708 Posts
I've seen several cars with the DBA cross drilled rotors develope cracks very quickly so if you go DBA stick with the plain or just slotted ones.

·
Sex on wheels
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mr Jucy said:
I've seen several cars with the DBA cross drilled rotors develope cracks very quickly so if you go DBA stick with the plain or just slotted ones.
Thanks very much for the tip :)

·
I am a Turbo Wanker
2,379 Posts
Mr Jucy said:
Thats not strictly true, it all depends on what type of pads you use on them and how you run them in.

For simplicities sake, stick with slotted unless you plan on doing some track work. In which case you should go for the two piece rotor with alluminium hat.

Rollin has a set of X-Drilled DBA rotors on his EB for years and has no problems with them, he gives them repeated hammerings as well!

The trick is not to run the new rotors in on abrasive bads (Ultimates etc), use somehting soft like premium for a few thousand kays (the are cheap too) and then used Bendix Metal Kings, Ultimates are good but are very abrasive and can actually outperform the rotor and cause the rotor to overheat and crack as mentioned. Usually on the trailing side of the holes.

PM Rollin for more advice, he has lots of experience on this matter.

·
I am a Turbo Wanker
2,379 Posts
XR8Chris said:
They are not the standard Falcon Rotors Twin piston, they are the oliptical grooved ones.
I think Twin Piston has the premium Brakes...

·
Registered
582 Posts
i run DBA cross drilled and slotted on my TX3 with bendix ultimates. i have never had problem, though i have heard stories.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have the premium brakes on my TS50 and replaced my front rotors 7000km ago at 23000km. I put dba goldlife x drilled & slotted rotors on with bendix ultimate pads. The ultimates started to the rotors. So i changed the pads to bendix advance pads as i'm told they won't wear the rotors. Can't notice any difference in performance in normal driving but probably would under extreme conditions. The advance pads are rated to 380 degrees c and ultimates to 580 degrees c continous use. I don't race around any tracks so they do the job for me. I've had them in for 2 weeks and no problems. Front wheels are still clean after 7 days. And the rotors have no cracks in them either.

·
Sex on wheels
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's just disappointing knowing that if Ford produce such poor quality crucial safety components, where else are they skimping that I don't know about!?!

This incident has left such a bad taste in my mouth, i'm thinking of just trading in and upgrading to anything but a Ford.

XR8Chris

·
100MPH Hunter
1,045 Posts
Ford quoted me over $700 per side for their rotors so I have been looking around since then and found them to be the cheapest, as well as having free delivery. And yes I have the premium as per my sig.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
XR8Chris said:
It's just disappointing knowing that if Ford produce such poor quality crucial safety components, where else are they skimping that I don't know about!?!

This incident has left such a bad taste in my mouth, i'm thinking of just trading in and upgrading to anything but a Ford.

XR8Chris
From what i have seen a lot of European cars nowdays wear their discs very quickly like the premiums and Brembos on the XR8 does. I think it was Rollin also stated that HSV's and even European built Holdens ie Vectra, Astra etc. are getting no better mileage out of their brakes.

·
Sex on wheels
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bsymth,

I think the industry term "Setting the standards" wasn't intended to be used in the context of setting poor standards for everyone to follow.

It would surprise me if the extra cost in producing a premium rotor (note: they do sell them as premuim brakes), would be more than a few dollars extra per rotor. Anyone that understands the process of hardening/tempering a metal, would agree with me.

Tisk tisk Ford, clean up your act will you!!!

XR8Chris

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
XR8Chris said:
Bsymth,

I think the industry term "Setting the standards" wasn't intended to be used in the context of setting poor standards for everyone to follow.

It would surprise me if the extra cost in producing a premium rotor (note: they do sell them as premuim brakes), would be more than a few dollars extra per rotor. Anyone that understands the process of hardening/tempering a metal, would agree with me.

Tisk tisk Ford, clean up your act will you!!!

XR8Chris
Agreed the brakes should be lasting longer than this im just stating that it is not only ford having trouble with high wearing discs. Discs should be lasting at least twice as long in a road car as they are at the moment.

·
When 2 T3s are not enough
1,934 Posts
Just got a price for DBA X drilled & slotted for my T3 $640 a pair + pads. So I should get out of it for under a grand Im happy....

·
BAD BSR BOY WITH THE LENS
421 Posts
sbutler said:
Just got a price for DBA X drilled & slotted for my T3 $640 a pair + pads. So I should get out of it for under a grand Im happy....
Today I've just ordered a full set of rotars for my TS50 prem brake set up
(2 offset scrols)

135 tho on the first set (showing signs of deep wear but still ok) so I can't complain re the wear)

cost for front and rear sets is $1022 del all up (Power Ford)

I did ask for prices on a two bit set up from DBA but they dont make it for the model inquestion here .

I"ve in the past run the gold slotted and drilled rotars from DBA on my ute with out a problem

cheers WASA

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
To get good braking on today's heavy cars the friction components (discs and pads) need to wear. That's a fact of life.

XR8Chris and others should start looking at the brakes on cars next to you at the lights. I notice the same heavy wear on Mercs, beemers, Holdens, Fords and others. I have the Brembo rotors and they are wearing noticeably at 16000km.

·
Banned
363 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
To get good braking on today's heavy cars the friction components (discs and pads) need to wear. That's a fact of life.

XR8Chris and others should start looking at the brakes on cars next to you at the lights. I notice the same heavy wear on Mercs, beemers, Holdens, Fords and others. I have the Brembo rotors and they are wearing noticeably at 16000km.
Problem is though AP, the Rotors shouldn't be wearing at a greater rate than the pads. My pads had basically no wear on them at 16000km, yet the rotors had about 3mm of leading edge on them, this isn't good enough, either the pad material is way to hard for the rotors, or the rotors are too soft. Having rotors wearing out before pads is something that is going to happen on my GT with the same performance setup as on the T3/AU XR and that shouldn't happen

1 - 20 of 28 Posts