Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Guys, taking Ford and Holden out of the picks, what would everyone pick out of Toyota and Mitsubishi, since there the other Aussie made brands. Be interesting to see what everyones choices are and why.

Me,
Well definitly will have to Mitsubishi Magna/Verada hands down over the Camry/Avalon more style, muuuch better interior and better engine sound IMO. Even though the reliabilty might not be so good compared to Toyota.
Only bad thing of Mitsu is they had connections in making the 00 fighter planes of WWII. :p :p

·
gone
10,402 Posts
I have driven Magnas for work for 4 years and ended up with a new model every 40,000 ks

I gave those Magnas a pounding, took em rally driving up over Mount Hotham, speed runs down to portland and High speed Road hump mounting..

Magna should stay cause those things really enjoy being driven hard.

But, at 30,000 everything started to fall off!!

·
Interloper from LS1.com
768 Posts
I had 2 Mitsi's back in NZ before i came over to Oz.

Had a '85 Stigma which I caned and put over a bank but still did me wll til I sold it at 180k's, had nothing done to it except lost 5th gear cos the nylock nut on the shaft backed off (got a mate to retighten it and give it a touch with the MIG then sold it).

Then had a '90 Galant. Both good reliable cars.

I think I would still go for a Mitsi if you removed Holden/Ford

·
Ford Member
1,156 Posts
Merc made things in ww2 as well..

I would personally drive a skyline, a 4 door r34 25GT would be pretty sweet. But Nissan doesn't sell them.

Mitsubishi V6 Sports, you can get a 5 speed, they are pokey, handle well, reasonably exciting.. Camry is bland, avalong is crap old and bland.

Magnas have more poke, look a hell of alot better.

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
I'd go for a Chrysler.

·
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL
1,031 Posts
Mitsu for sure... Magna Sports V6 niceeeeeeee.....

Like ford man said,... i dont want to be driving around in a fridge!!

·
Australian Probe Member
841 Posts
V6 Magna for sure (behind a Ford!); never be caught dead in a Holden or a Toyota (except for hire cars!!)

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jaytyn said:
Mitsu for sure... Magna Sports V6 niceeeeeeee.....

Like ford man said,... i dont want to be driving around in a fridge!!
Can't believe Toyota can make a car so boooooooring. Must admit it's good the first 5 minutes then i feel like jumping outta the car. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: The dash is gotta be the worst in the business. I have to say 4 cylinder camry in auto has gotta be the cardigan car of the year. :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Saving for a BA XR6t
171 Posts
Five Magna's\Verada's in the last 15 years and proud of it !!!

All my parents cars though, I'm not 17 yet.

The latest one, 3.5 Verada Wagon is pretty nice to drive, great engine and looks pretty damn trick in my opinion.

I might do this one day: :D :D

2000 KH Verada Xi
163kw Sports motor dropped in
5-speed manual gearbox
Lowered
New wheels
Sunroof
Black
NO rear spoiler

...but I dont think you fellas care for all this hehe sorreeee

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Yeah would have to agree with the majority on this one, I'd take the Mr Sh!tti over the Cardigan (Camry). Having driven a Cardigan recently, I found what most journos have already.. in that the engine is not such a bad thing, but apart from that there's nothing much to compliment. Can't steer, can't stop. Looks like a yawn with wheels (but not quite as drowsy as the Avalon). Doesn't like being worked hard either! :D

At least the Mr Sh!tti tries to address some of the problems, apart from the fundamental design flaw of FWD...

M

·
0 Posts
Id go the mits, have a green on green 83 se stigma wagon I drove while I upgraded the XF to 5.0 , 2.0 auto, got it for zip, went forever, very slowly, never had to change the oil, it does that by itself, but just keeps going.......bathurst races, south coast, surfers - and it does not need an alarm either - fantastic theif repellant design......park it and forget it ......no stress, sometimes I cant find it (after walking past it twice in a car park - talk about inconspicuous).......great spare car, tip duty, towing etc...cheap parts.........not many comparable coronas or early camries on the road.

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
EF_Falcon_GuY said:
I have to say 4 cylinder camry in auto has gotta be the cardigan car of the year. :eek: :eek: :eek:
We've got one of these at work too.. Guess what colour... Grey!!

If you're looking for a quick take off from a set of lights or perhaps a quick lane change, this ain't your car! Absolute POS!!! :rolleyes:

·
Shhh, we're hunting Lions
1,610 Posts
I'd go Nissan but it wasn't one of the choices, I'd have no hesitations in going for a Mitsubishi over a Toyota. Toyota has never had a car that has interested me.

My god who would want an Avalon!.:nuts: :nuts:

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
HSE2 said:
Mishu for me thanks
Yeah, same here. At least they have a bit of style, and the VRX and sports go pretty hard.
Toyota? Huh, no way.I'd have to start wearing wooly cardies and have a blankie on the back parcel shelf.;)
Landcruiser is the only new Toyota I'd like.
Russell.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah my first decent ride in a Mitsu is in a 1993 Verada, must say it was a very refined car. Very impressed this was before my ford fanatic days guys, IMO it was smoother and more refined than a Honda Accord. I've always liked the Verada, good equipment levels and has a touch of class compared to Magna.

But i'll take a ford falcon anyday thanks, power space punch and rear drive fun.

Oh yeah i must admit dad bought a 1993 2.2L camry first of the wide bodys manual, we got rid of it for the EF after like 16 months, nooooo power.

Geez the EF Wagon was a rocket compared to it.

·
Ford Focus WRC Driver.
761 Posts
Yeah......another vote for Mitsubishi. Mainly because I'm a huge Tommi Makinen supporter and with the Evo VI, you can't go wrong......even though the damn Evo VII is out in Japan!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts