Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ford Member
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flicking through fords engine info web pages.. Not much choice?

3.9 L V8 - Tiny capacity
4.0 L V8 - exclusive
4.6 L V8 - Small in capacity
5.4 L V8 - Long stroke

For the six cylinders Ford doesn't have any that popout, the 3.8 isn't well liked (even for a six), 4.0 V6 sounds like it would be a slightly bigger version of the 3.8. Hardy the stuff dreams are made of for replacing the taxi proven inline 4.0.

What happens if there is big overseas demand for the expected 5.4? What happens if its found not to be suitable? Or the currency goes through the floor again.

But how about this for a idea, make a 16 or 24 valve VCT V8 engine to eventually replace the "hot six". If we are getting just the 5.4's then, it shouldn't interfear too much with the 5.4's.

Does ford need new V8's? Do they need new 6's?

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
Thats a good point there IPhido. I have been speaking with a guy who works at the Geelong engine plant. He basically says that our IL6 could be better engine than its replacement if they were given the same budget to spend on it. He support strongly FOR keeping the IL6, he believes there are more advantages (design) in keeping it, rather than changing to a V6, its proven and can be developed to be a great engine.

The V8 could be another matter.

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
IPhido said:
Does ford need new V8's? Do they need new 6's?
You will see all new engines in the next few years. Both 6 and 8.. In both forms for the 6.. ;)

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Personally, i say the 8's need to be all new, and we all know it's on it's way firstly stroker windsor then 5.4 DOHC, i reckon this engine should be increased in capacity to be on par with 5.7 5.8 or the 351 in old measure.

With the six's i say if it ain't broke, don't fix it, there as tough as nails, and given the right cyclinder head DOHC and turbo this engine has got serious power.

I mean even in stock form i can tell you it's got decent power from a basic 2v head.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
The 3.8L we are getting in 2005 or whenever is in no way related to the old OHV 3.8L V6 which is basically a 5.0L with 2 cyls missing (if im not mistaken the Commo/Buick V6 is the same)

Theres the possibility of the 4.6L being increased to 5.0L in the next Mustang.

As far as I know the AV XR8 is getting the DOHC 4.6L and the T-Series is getting the 5.4L

·
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL
1,031 Posts
The current I6 needs something done to it, it is practically the same engine as the EA. thats nearly 10 years old.

Some parts even date back to the 60's...

But i agree it is a GOOD engine, and would prefer to see it developed rather than dropped i favour of the V6.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
The Au was my first Ford V8. My other Fords were six's. I agree with all the comments about the V6 situation and it does look as the only people wanting the V6 are the been counters. As a purist, things are going to get worse. Manufactures are going to rationalise models and as companies like Ford continue to buy others we will see a significate reduction in the numbers of engine variants available.

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
The 3.8L we are getting in 2005 or whenever is in no way related to the old OHV 3.8L

3.8L you reffer to as a V6 from the states? Coz I can tell you now we aint getting no gay V6. Some journo made it up and I know that becasue my mate works at the Ford product Engineering plant in Geelong and he told me. To save anymore controversy, its a Ford employees Obligation not to leak any information to anyone concerning the product whichwill be obtained in the future but I don't know if the same rule applies to things we don't get...

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
Re: The 3.8L we are getting in 2005 or whenever is in no way related to the old OHV 3.8L

Cobra said:
3.8L you reffer to as a V6 from the states? Coz I can tell you now we aint getting no gay V6. Some journo made it up and I know that becasue my mate works at the Ford product Engineering plant in Geelong and he told me. To save anymore controversy, its a Ford employees Obligation not to leak any information to anyone concerning the product whichwill be obtained in the future but I don't know if the same rule applies to things we don't get...
Heh, but telling people what we won't get can indirectly lead to people knowing what we <i>will</i> get :rolleyes:

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Re: The 3.8L we are getting in 2005 or whenever is in no way related to the old OHV 3.8L

Cobra said:
I know that becasue my mate works at the Ford product Engineering plant in Geelong and he told me.
Like I've said before folks, lets keep this sort of thing to email please. Too many prying eyes for these pages... :thumbup:

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
sure thing mate, BUT if I know any better my mate is probably telling me the opposite to the truth so you never do know....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts