Ford Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Beastmaster
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if FPV actually test their bodykits in a wind tunnel?
I have always wondered if the wing or air dam actually do anything other than look good.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I highly doubt they do, although aero procedures would be taken into hand through computer designs?

I have no idea really, but it'd be nice to think that FPV vehicles were tested in wind tunnels...

·
.au member
2,747 Posts
EL GT was - they sent it to Germany to be tested, so the bodykit is actually functional.

·
FF Moderator
2,202 Posts
Apparently the body kit has been extensively tested based on what was learnt with V8 Supercar technology. That could be marketing hype, but if you’re going to build a car capable of 250 km+ I would think it would/should work well in reality.

·
When 2 T3s are not enough
1,934 Posts
back2thefutura said:
EL GT was - they sent it to Germany to be tested, so the bodykit is actually functional.
The same with th EBGT kit,Tickford wind tunnel tested them, they said that they would not add anything to a car if it did'nt work,but now that its FPV I think that has been droped and they test all the kits at the proving grounds on a car to see if it has any bad effect, so it has to look ok and not upset things....

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,751 Posts
Your wings etc will not create downforce, they only create drag, at most state legal speeds (ie 100-110 kmh). Generally they only come into play for downforce at around 140-150 kmh +.

·
Previously Black XR
241 Posts
I think you will find the the body kit is supposed to behalf way between the XR and a V8 supercar. Its supposed to be the missing stage between a road car and and a race car.

·
3dr zeTEC
222 Posts
Nice perspective Silver GT, I'd like to think that when I slammed the brakes on a GT-P not long ago from about 240km/h, the only thing keeping the rear on the ground was the wing. (I did the same thing in another car that didn't have the body dynamics as the GT and up whent the rear end! My Focus on the other hand has the factory body kit, and the small rear lip extension does a good job of providing just a small amount of downforce to keep it stable at high speeds. I tried a non kitted focus and noticed a huge difference at about 180km/h + . Alot of fun trying to keep it together, and I would'nt recommend anyone try it!) The same thing happened to the Audi TT when it was first released, They had a design fault that caused them to flip over when you brake hard from high speed (3 fatalities in the UK). The recall went out and the fix was to put a rear spoiler (more like a lip) on it to give the rear end some downforce at speed so it doesn't go AWAL. When all is said, useful or not (at legal speeds), the rear wing on the GT looks awsome!

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Well, if my bodykit was tested it was back in the old days of Tickford because guess what stamps are moulded into the skirts and rear bars????? he he he LOL Looks like the utes get the AU downforce deficient stuff even today.

(Just ribbing - I mean who looks under their car for this stuff??????)

·
Proudly Average
1,305 Posts
sniper545 said:
Nice perspective Silver GT, I'd like to think that when I slammed the brakes on a GT-P not long ago from about 240km/h, the only thing keeping the rear on the ground was the wing. (I did the same thing in another car that didn't have the body dynamics as the GT and up whent the rear end! !
and i thought stoppies on a motorbike were scary! :AAHHH:

·
Wheelman
147 Posts
sniper545 said:
Nice perspective Silver GT, I'd like to think that when I slammed the brakes on a GT-P not long ago from about 240km/h, the only thing keeping the rear on the ground was the wing.
Another radar trap hey Sniper ???? :)

·
3dr zeTEC
222 Posts
No, not that time. As soon as I see other road users in either direction, I bring it back to "safe" limits. But when I start to reminese, I think about the many drives from Frankfurt to the Austrian border. Yes I know there are roads in Australia that you can open up and give it all you got, but in Germany, they don't have kangaroos!

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,751 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
(Just ribbing - I mean who looks under their car for this stuff??????)
Um - that would be YOU!!! LOL.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts