Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Ford Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
MOTOR March 04

Not sure if this has been posted yet

Source: MOTOR Magazine - March 2004. Author: Dean Evans

FPV UPS THE TURBO POWER TO RIP INTO HSV WITH EXTRA BOOST AND SIX SPEEDS.

Prepare for a new era of performance,when FPV's F6 Typhoon hits. The higher performance version of the XR6 Turbo will be unveiled at this months Melb Motor Show, and will go on sale later in the year in BA11 form.
FPV's F6 Typhoon will complte FPV's trio of high performance alongside GT and pursuit ute.
F6 Typhoon {clumsily named because its 'forced' six cylinder} proves the effecitivness and effeciency of the 4.0 litre twin cam six. It takes very little to unleash more power,and though final specs were to be announced at the show,its easy to hazard a few educated guesses:like a free flowing exhaust,mild boost increase and a much more prominent silver alloy intercooler that'll immediatley identify it as a turbo- somewhat lacking on XR6T with its black intercooler and tiny rear turbo badge.
Figure on power of around 280kw,more torque and with the availiblity of boxes from tremec {manual} and Jaguar {auto}, dont be suprised to see six speed versions of each.
FPV Boss David Flint offered; "We beleive the F6 Typhoon will further strengthen our position as technical leaders in the tribal high performance market. It will demonstrate our commitment to providing a family of cars that offers a total performance package."
That also gives cles its not just engine tuning,but also tuned suspension,drooping lower over exclusive 18-inch alloys.
Braking too is improved as part of the package,along with new front bar design,side and rear skirts and a stylised rear wing.
This is the beggining of a new era for FPV,Says Flint.Hinting at more to come,"We beleive the F6 Typhoon is the next step in delevering that promise-but its certainly not the last."
That could be a subtle clue about the upcoming FPV Territory Turbo.Neither Ford nor FPV is saying anything,but on October 1 2003, Ford officially registered the name Hurricane 4x4,so there is pretty much only one conclusion to draw.
Just one rquest ,Mr Flint: lose the redundent and silly 'F6'- Typhoon is tuff enough.

·
Ford Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: MOTOR March 04

Also for the all ute Auto test times are....

XR8 SS XR6T

0-100 7.05 6.76 6.53

0-400m 14.93 14.70 14.62
@160.5kmh @160.5kmh @161.6kmh

·
Registered
3,023 Posts

I wonder if GM will have anything to say about Ford using the name Typhoon....

GMC Typhoon
4.3L V6 Turbo AWD

·
100MPH Hunter
1,045 Posts

At least they will have something more impressive in the Territory range, hopefully the six speed manual will reach this as well.

Good to hear.

·
I am The Brain
3,073 Posts

I like the name...and the sound of it all. 280 is pretty much what we have come to expect it would come out with so there wouldn't be any surprises there, new gearboxes would be a must. Unlike that journo...I like the F6 part of the name. And Hurricane is good for the Territory, however I still would have preferred Raptor.

Those times for the XR8 aren't too healthy looking.

·
LOOKING FORWARD TO NYE!!!
2,512 Posts

well this has been expected for a while, but very interesting none the less. Good to see the tremac *almost* confirmed, ive been hanging for that one

wonder what the pricing will be like

/me sits back and waits patiently...

·
100MPH Hunter
1,045 Posts

^^^^ Me too^^^^

·
Dual Exhaust Warrior™
1,172 Posts

That's great news... Good to see FPV expanding and catering for a different market, although my favourite line is this:

DR XR said:
"We believe the F6 Typhoon is the next step in delevering that promise-but its certainly not the last."
mmm HO™ : )

·
When 2 T3s are not enough
1,934 Posts

If FPV are gonna have a 280 kw six they had better do somthing with the XR8 & GTs or there gonna look pretty silly ! The XR6T is already nipping at the heels of them while costing a lot less, so the XR8s & GTs better get a power hike to keep them in line or Ford are gonna find them self in a bit of bother trying to sell slower, heaver, and dearer, V8s I can feel a big marketing stuffup coming on, and we all know how good Ford are at that dont we?

·
Registered
582 Posts

dont be surprised if the gt and gtp dont get the same gearbox, body styling, wheels and dare i say it a power hike.

·
Mr Photoshop
1,155 Posts

tickford2001 said:
well this has been expected for a while, but very interesting none the less. Good to see the tremac *almost* confirmed, ive been hanging for that one

wonder what the pricing will be like

/me sits back and waits patiently...
Your not the only one! :wnc:

·
Mr Photoshop
1,155 Posts

Also would be interesting to see what the FPV Turbo looks like as it will have a different front bumper and wheels.

Maybe it will have Garret,FPV and NOS stickers under the side mirrors too hehe

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts

I don't like the name of the turbo 6, however, I do like the Hurricane name for an FPV Territory. Very cool.

New gear boxes, more power, more options and a better range! Finally Ford is listening and going in the right direction. Excellent news!

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts

Hmmm hurricane territory, F6 Typhoon and a hint of more to come ... excellent *in monty burns tone* :s6:

·
mmm...kilomawatts...aargh
1,061 Posts

CSV_LS1 said:
Maybe it will have Garret,FPV and NOS stickers under the side mirrors too hehe
You can be pretty much guaranteed of seeing some of those driving around.

·
Registered
323 Posts

The times for the XR8 are shite! i honestly don't think that these cars were tested in the right conditions! or sumthing. I dunt no but they dunt look Right

A

·
0 Posts

Aren't those 6 spd autos used in the bimmers, jags and audis a GM box?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

greetings all
i think the 280Kw BA11 will kill the resale of the BA GT, GT-Ps & Pursuits

but i think thats what FORD are known to be good at instead of building Tough Cars

regards
rod

·
Ford Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I think this Typhoon is a great move by FPV. Should attract quite a few more buyers to the brand.

When i see the car at MMS the more power it has the better the forecast for FPV 8's IMO. If they were going out of their way to keep power down it would be a worry for this vehicle, and would probly mean GT's are not getting much extra. Anyway at the minimum GT and GTP will have to get the better boxes along with the better gearing.

1 - 20 of 153 Posts