Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
100% Speeding (when safe)
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to an auction today where there were hail and flood damaged cars. A beaut FPV citric acid ute with stripes and 10,000km sold for $29,000. This was flood damaged. Still didnt look like there would be too much to do. Water had been inside, even in the instrument cluster. The engine was full of water! I guess its a pot luck thing, as long as no one tried to start it full of water, maybe it'l be an easyish repair.

Does water hurt airbags? computers, wiring, etc? Wiring and computers should all be pretty sealed i would think?

A GTO Hsv coupe sold for 47,000 and was not in running order! Thats a bit steep!
A Porsche boxter sold for 40,000
A BA XR6 nearly brand new sold for 26,000 but had been flooded! It did run though. I dont know why anyone would pay that!

There were heaps of Brand new Mazda 6's with maybe 5 or 6 or 7 km on the clock. They sold for 24,000+ They did run i believe.

Commodores even though they were stinking and their engines full of water went for near their normal trade in or private sale price! I dont understand how stupid some holden people are! Its not worth the risk unless its for half price or less i would say! No other car were getting such prices! For eg a comparable 98 EL would cost maybe 4000, and a 98 VT would go for 10.000!!

All the trade and people who knew the costs of fixing these things were laughing at the public buyers, couldnt belive the prices, saying most are around 30% over what they should be worth!

·
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The insurance companies would be laughing! They say a flood writes off $10million of cars, when they sell them and the get $9.8million back!lol so doesnt cost much at all to them in fact!

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
that Pursuit belonged to one of our members here ( & no it wasnt mine ) the water went over the roof on the eastern freeway

it now has a home in Ballarat from what i was told

regards
rod

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
There was a few citric Pursuits at Heathcote. Was this vehicle one fo thosr that were at Heathcote?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
greetings all
from memory all of the water damaged cars that went for auction today were from the rain on december 6th

heathcote was january 10th

but its replacement was there

regards
rod

·
Interloper from LS1.com
768 Posts
If it's been submerged - expect to change everything electronic in the vehicle - or you are guaranteed trouble.

Why do you think the insurance companies write them off? If a $50k FPV Pursuit is cheaper to write off than fix - that is sending a clear message - buy one at your own peril.

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
953 Posts
Yeh i seen this particular car on the web, it looked alright body wise, except the headlights were full of moisture. As you guys have all said, the wiring is the biggest problem, especially with airbags!

Pretty expensive write off, but who knows maybe it would only cost 10 k to fix up the wiring loom / interior.

·
freelance
1,086 Posts
most car that are dunked are a write off. If your skilled they may be a bargain but expect all the space junk to be fried. Whats not fried will have a litany of corrosion and contact problems its a big job to repair.

·
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the Au Xr went for 12.000, which was a bit dear if you asked me! The interior wasnt flooded though, so no water behind dash(good), however the engine was full of oil and water that looked like cream. It wasnt running. It was a VCT one with IRS.

One car which i thought was worth buying, and i'm annoyed i didnt!!! :-(!!! Was a Volvo red 1998 850R (180kw,150mph,7.0 to 100!), which had no interior flooding, looked perfect outside, engine wasnt running. Went for $11,000!! They were about $80,000 when new in 1998! Dam dam dam!!!I think they are a really classy car!
Also another that had no interior flooding, but just engine troubles was a beaut Alfa 156 Monza V6 with the bodykit, 17 inch wheels, leather, 6speed manual....2002 model, 25,000km, went for $20.000!! Thats a $50,000 car!! Someones laughing there!! (big deal if you have to spend $2000 on the engine!!)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
i'd still buy a flood damaged car,it'd tear it apart dry out everything,get the elec parts etc tested,then i'd rip the motor part and do a rebuild,everycar that water damaged is fixable,if you know what your doing its no biggy..

some of them prices are way too steep though..

·
Mondeo Obsessed
89 Posts
I would be a bit worried here.

What happens is people (criminals) buy these cars WAY over actual worth, then use the VIN number to "rebirth" a stolen one. It happens all the time. Recently the police have been trying to follow this, but it's pretty hard to prove (unless it's like a WRX and has datadots, in which case it makes it too hard for the crook to rebirth by changing all the panels with the dots (hundereds of parts). They then sell the stolen one and make a huge profit anyway (b/c there's no cost of repair...)

This is why commodores etc go for way over - there's heaps around and they're (relatively) easy to steal.

·
Registered
461 Posts
hoon69 said:
i'd still buy a flood damaged car,it'd tear it apart dry out everything,get the elec parts etc tested,then i'd rip the motor part and do a rebuild,everycar that water damaged is fixable,if you know what your doing its no biggy..

some of them prices are way too steep though..
The problem is the wiring may be ok once dried, but corrosion will hit. Usual trick is buy a flooded car, fix what is obvious and sell it. Poor sucker buying it doesn't realise its a flooded vehicle and will start getting weird electrical problems later on.

·
freelance
1,086 Posts
Devil CV8 said:
The problem is the wiring may be ok once dried, but corrosion will hit. Usual trick is buy a flooded car, fix what is obvious and sell it. Poor sucker buying it doesn't realise its a flooded vehicle and will start getting weird electrical problems later on.
That exactly the point, whilst it is possible to fix problems of a dunked car it is probably not going to be economical. At what point do you stop replacing items? Corrosion related problem would most probably require complete replacement of all electrical, and electronical components incuding looms and connectors, to make the thing work reliably.

If you wanted a shell for a competition car build these water damaged vehicles might make a good budget base. Or if you were planning a dodgy re-sell.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
docjames said:
I would be a bit worried here.

What happens is people (criminals) buy these cars WAY over actual worth, then use the VIN number to "rebirth" a stolen one. It happens all the time. Recently the police have been trying to follow this, but it's pretty hard to prove (unless it's like a WRX and has datadots, in which case it makes it too hard for the crook to rebirth by changing all the panels with the dots (hundereds of parts). They then sell the stolen one and make a huge profit anyway (b/c there's no cost of repair...)

This is why commodores etc go for way over - there's heaps around and they're (relatively) easy to steal.

guess thats why all F.P.V. vehicles are fitted with data dots

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
from memory i belive that
F.P.V.,B.M.W., Skoobaroo's & H.S.V. all use data dots

there would have to be a lot more car companies out there useing them

has anybody bothered to check there data dots to see if the have the right info on them

regards
rod

·
Mr Sensible...
115 Posts
it would cost a fourtune to diagnose and fix fried, damaged and frayed electrics not to mention mechanicals being half the problems. These cars are only good for parts.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
greetings all
the big concern with this one would be that is was driven into the flood

most cars that are driven into water suffer from water ingestion causing bent con rods, i would be more worried about this & the fact that it was booked in for an engine rebuild a day or so after the flood

as for the worth of the car
$29500.00 purchase cost
$1770.00 auction fees
$200.00 cost to transport to ballarat
$500.00 registration costs
$2200.00 stamp duty
$5000.00 estimate engine rebuild with con rods
$2500.00 estimate body repairs & paint around rear - tow truck damage
$900.00 estimate new rear bumper bar
$600.00 estimate new head lights - chrome pealing inside due to water left in them
$500.00 estimate new driving lights - chrome pealing due to water left in them
$200.00 estimate gear knob - due to some low life scum

sub total $43870.00 before you get started

forgot to add
no hard tarp
no hard tarp spoiler
no spare wheel lol
no service books
& the biggie
NO FORD FACTORY WARRANTY

1 - 20 of 23 Posts