Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Just bought the "dad van"
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone!

I was reading on another Forum website about people have sudden transmission failures from their Freestars. I haven't seen anything on this forum about it. Does anyone seem to be having these sudden failures or know much about it? Is it really as widespread as the other forum makes it sound?

We have 31,000 on our 2006 Limited and they told me to just wait...I'm about 10,000 miles from the the problem....

Vince

·
1,134 Posts
Hey Everyone!

I was reading on another Forum website about people have sudden transmission failures from their Freestars. I haven't seen anything on this forum about it. Does anyone seem to be having these sudden failures or know much about it? Is it really as widespread as the other forum makes it sound?

We have 31,000 on our 2006 Limited and they told me to just wait...I'm about 10,000 miles from the the problem....

Vince

:shh: Hmmm

May I ask what Forums you have seen this on?? I have not heard much about this and would like to know more.

could you please provide the Links??

Thank you

·
canuck
2,506 Posts
Hey Everyone!

Vince
Vince, I checked out the links you provided and man, that doesn't sound good. However, there were hundreds of thousands of Freestars produced until Ford stopped production, so I'd assume that people that have had problems all gravitated toward online forums and such. Another website to check out is http:\\autos.msn.com and you can check reviews there as well.

What I would do real soon is get the transmission changed with full synthetic ATF. Amsoil, Royal Purple make some of the best aftermarket oil out there. A complete flush with 100% synthetic fluid will set you back about $150 with filter. Add on a few bucks to get rid of the old fluid and for someone to change it out. It would be a worthwhile investment than spending upwards of $3K on a new transmission.

Another thing you could check out is a possible shift kit. I don't know the name of the transmission in the Freestar, but perhaps TransGo has one available. In most cases, the shift kits allow higher pressure fluid transfer for more stable shifts and allow fluid flow while in park. Ford Lincoln Mercury Shift Kits

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, we bought our Freestar just 2 weeks ago....31,000 miles and was a Certified Ford Pre-Owned....As part of that Certification process, they changed the transmission fluid and filter....I have the entire service records for it....Should I still do the Synthetic stuff???

Also, I have a powertrain warranty good until 10-14-2012 or until if the van reaches 100,000 miles....so, right now, I'm not over concerned....fro what everyone is saying, I should have the failure easily before I hit the date or the miles....

Just didn't know if anyone here had heard about that...

Also, do you know if that shifter thing would void the warranty???

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, Sterling Six....

you hear anything about whether this is legit or just a whiny bunch in one forum???

I see nothing else at all about it online....

Vince

·
Registered
1 Posts
I currently own a 04' Freestar with 71k on it now, but right after it turned over 49k I had the exact problem described which required replacement of the transmission. We are covered by the carmax warranty so they ate the bill, but I am scared to keep it after the warranty is up. Gentlemen at Aamco that actually fixed it said the AX4N is known for this problem when used in the Minivans. The splines just break look of the converter and strip the input shaft suddenly. Just a weak aluminum part.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Other than that though, this is a great van. I had the failure around the typical mileage others described.

My family and I were on vacation in Cinncinnati, OH. Pulled up to the hotel, took our bags in and checked in - then started the van up to pull into the parking deck and nothing. No gears at all. Carmax warranty was great though, they got us a loaner same day and brought mine back to atlanta when it was fixed.

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
U-Boot...

Can you provide a link to that? I called my dealer and they say they know nothing about it....and my VIN didn't come up with needing anything done....

Vince

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, Sterling Six....

you hear anything about whether this is legit or just a whiny bunch in one forum???

I see nothing else at all about it online....

Vince
This is legit.

The NHTSA has an open investigation on this based upon complaints. The investigation tag is EA09016, and the official site is Defect Investigations Results | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

You can see from the document search at this site that as of 16 Nov 2010 there had been 340 complaints registered with the NHTSA (which does not include mine that I entered yesterday and probably is way below the number of actual failures). Ford was supposed to have supplied the requested data to NHTSA by 17 Jan 2011, though there is no further update on the status of the investigation.

I encourage anyone else who has experienced this problem to file a complaint with the NHTSA.

I am hopeful that there is a recall that involves replacement with a transmission that works as it should. Besides the $4000K I will have spent to have this fixed twice and would like back, this is a real safety issue. The second time it failed on me was at 70 mph on the interstate at night in the middle of the winter with two young children in the back - not cool.

-cartrouble

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone KNOW whether the recall fixed the problem, or if the lousy parts were merely replaced with new lousy parts?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts