Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's creeping up pretty quickly, I checked the sway bar bushes today and they aren't in the best of nick. Probably hold in for a while, but if I don't replace em in 6 months I really don't think it'll be too healthy.

So what's a rebuild gonna set me back, give or take? I'm looking at replacing the following; all bushes, bearings, ball joints (upper and lower) and the tierods if they need it.

Are Polyurethane bushes worth the extra money?

Probably gonna whack in an EL XR8 front sway bar while I'm at it, would there be any dramas with picking up one from a wrecker? Do they use the same frame brackets or do I need the ones to fit the XR bar?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Could be up to $1000 for what your talking about.
It cost me $500 to get the front end rebushed (not swaybar ones though) in Polyurethane.
Add another $40 each for ball joints plus labour, then tie rods, bearings, wheel alignment etc.

Poly are certainly worth it IMO, mine handled much better after installation (but that was comparing it to 150k old rubber bushes) and ride quality didnt diminish at all, if anything it may have been slighly better.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well labour isn't a worry, providing I can get my hands a torque wrench I'll be doing this all myself.

Did the $500 include labour? If not, what were parts worth give or take?

·
Registered
249 Posts
make sure you get quality ball joints. I use Repco, and I believe they have it all over the Autobarn or other "speed shop" products. Don't use Poly in all the bushes, or if you do, research into the different types of poly bushes. Have a talk to Pedders or Whiteline. Using Poly can, but not always, stuff up NVH setting of the vehicle (NVH = Noise, Vibration, Harshness)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts