Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to know how others have overcome the problem of 235/40/17 tyres rubbing on the front guards of the E series fords? Everything was fine until I went all out and got complete Pedders shocks/springs and the K-mac adjustables.. Now that the front wheels are no longer cambered the outside of them keeps on rubbing on the guard when I corner semi-hard.. Is there a way around this without having to buy new tyres? Thanks

Rick

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
953 Posts
put the suspension back the way it was or get the guards rolled, its not a good thing to have your tyres touching the body work on the car, its going to cause you issues later on no matter how often you replace the tyres.

·
known as tibbo
2,033 Posts
Yep.. roll the guards ( you can do it yourself without cracking the paint with a rolling pin)or grind the inner lip down

·
Registered
12 Posts
Try dropping your front tyres down to 225's , my mate had the same on his lowered el xr6 , he also had wide mags which didn't help.
Alex

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would rather roll the guards rather than buying a new set of tyres. Can I do it myself or should I look at getting a professional to do it? I am also running Sportsryder front struts and comforts in the rear, quite a nice smooth ride actually..

·
known as tibbo
2,033 Posts
do it yourself.. just slow and steady.. get a rolling pin, jack the front up and put the edge of the handle of the rolling pin between your tyre and inner lip.. rotate the wheel slowly, and it will push the edge over.. do it a few times, each time putting more of the rollin pin in until it clears the tyre

·
MRXY8
6 Posts
If youv had it lowered it will have changed the geometry of the suspension, can get an adjustable camber/caster kit to set suspension back to somewhere where it should be, also what wheel have you got on there are they factory or aftermarket, are they the right offset? Rolling your guards should work. :wnc:
MRXY8

·
formerly sikEA
2,142 Posts
Having the same issues with my EL atm im running 235/65/15's....I have been told that my shim type camber kit is pushing the struts out and combined with the wider tryes on stocko rims is causing the bastard to hit.

Im running King Low Springs and Koni adjustable shocks up front (softest setting) and king lows rear (soon to be matched with koni's too)

I have been recommended to get the guards rolled, which I'll do, and then if it keeps hitting my local pedders guy is going to look at it a bit more and come up with a solution. Note. Kmac told me it was cos my springs were too soft, however, the guy at Pedders said I have no issue with any of my components...didnt even recommend to change camber kits (the nolathane kit I have in there now has like half a dozen shims in it.)

I'll be getting guards rolled and going from there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts