1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford Tickford Racing Latest News

HIDDEN VALLEY SET TO BE HAPPY VALLEY FOR FTR
07 May, 2001

Ford Tickford Racing (FTR) is set to turn qualifying speed and a race leading performance, into victory at round four of the 2001 Shell Championship Series at Darwin’s Hidden Valley on May 12 -13.

Steven Richards and Glenn Seton started from positions three and four respectively at round three at Sydney’s Eastern Creek, and then found themselves in the first two positions.

If not for an untimely safety car period to remove a damaged car, which ruined the team’s pit stop strategy, the FTR duo could have gone on for a historic one-two finish in the opening race.

Seton finished the day in 10th overall to hold down ninth in the championship standings, one place ahead of his teammate.

Although disappointed with the result Glenn Seton is confident that the third part of the equation - winning - is very much achievable in Darwin.

Seton finished third overall in 2000 at Hidden Valley and is confident of leading an even stronger result this year.

"Both Steven and I are delighted with the performance of our race cars, and our entire team is very much looking forward to getting the job done in Darwin," said Seton.

"If you look at the successful teams in our sport, they have both cars near the front, that’s exactly where we are heading at Hidden Valley.

"The entire crew is confident, which makes a massive difference when you prepare for a race meeting, and Darwin is a tough place at the best of times.

The trip to Darwin during the cooler months for the Melbourne based FTR crew is one of the highlights of the year.

Since his arrival at FTR in the off-season Steven Richards has continually worked on improving his racecar.

The two-time Bathurst winner is now fully confident of getting the job done at Hidden Valley.

"I said after Adelaide that the FTR race car is the best I have ever driven - now I’m after even better performance from it," said Richards.

"You need to be on the money in Darwin, the tight corner at the end of the long front straight is one of the best places to pass.

"If your car isn’t quick enough along that straight, you can’t pass and even worse others can get by you.

"I’m sure our cars have some of the best straight line speed of anybody out there, so I’m very much looking forward to using that power to my benefit.

Three races make up the program at Hidden Valley as well as a top-10 shootout. The Shootout and race one (17 laps) will take place on Saturday with two 35-lap races on Sunday. The Sunday races feature a compulsory pit stop for tyres.

Details for Round Four of the 2001 Shell Championship Series at Hidden Valley Raceway are:

Top-10 Shootout: Saturday 12 May - 1.50pm

Race One (17 laps - 49.3 km): Saturday 12 May - 4:15pm

Race Two (35 laps - 101.5 km): Sunday 13 May - 11am

Race Three (35 laps - 101.5 km): Sunday 13 May - 2.30pm

Circuit: Hidden Valley Raceway (Darwin)

Length: 2.90 km

Lap Record: 1m.08.6062s (qualifying) - Lowndes (2000) - 1m.09.4917s (race) - Bright (1999)

Estimated Average Speed: 147 km/h

Estimated top Speed: 250 km/h - Start/Finish Line

Full News Archive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Me too. But it sounds impressive. I think the cars have been better. PI was a terrible but the other races not so bad. Interesting comment about straight line speed as this is one area that I felt they weren't strong on

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
No question... If the safety car hadn't come out I reckon it could've been a completely different result. But it wasn't.... :mad: :mad:

·
Bring Back the 24hr!!!
5,809 Posts
There's quite a lot of people on boths sides of the fance that say the safety car wasn't required for where the car was stuck as it was well out of the way.
I'm not sure on my own opinion on that though.

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
The whole eastern creek round was a joke. Not just the safety car fiasco. Lets hope it's better for this weekend. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There was a meeting on Tuesday to decide the fate of stopping of pits stops under the SC. Could be a change as early as this weekend

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also talk of pit speed limiters that can not be used as traction control. Bowe has also called for the baning of body data acquisition

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The data part is to cut costs. The drivers are concerned about the safety in pitstops and the SC issue has been raised by what happened to both FTR cars last meet.

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Something needs to be done and fast. What happened last round was a joke. FTR were flying and got cleaned up by the safety car. If they were cleaned up in the race, fair enough. But to have the weekend ruined by a single event is crap. Any word on a saturday telecast anywhere? :confused:

·
Bring Back the 24hr!!!
5,809 Posts
No word of saturday coverage.
It'll make the competition better to be able to pit under the safety car, after all there's hopefully not too much chance of what happened to seton happening again and the ability to pit under the safety car will not make anyone disadvantaged.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Still think the laps need to go up in as many venues as possible. Long sprints with pits stops is the way to go!

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
HSE2 said:
Still think the laps need to go up in as many venues as possible. Long sprints with pits stops is the way to go!
YES!! YES!! YES!!.. You are right on the money HSE. Being able to pit under the saftey car will help enormously. No-one will be disadvantaged just so long as the pit facilities can handle the majority of cars coming in at once!!.. I hope that doesn't happen in canberra or theirs gunna be a big mess... :eek:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
3 Participants
FM
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing