Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
NSW TICKFORD OWNERS CLUB
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 5 week old XR6, all is sweet love the car, but wondering about fuel economy. I have filled up with 58-60 litres and then dont get even 300km's, ususally around 280. Its done 1700 clicks, now and been filled up 6 times. This is around town driving, and I drive it 'relatively' sensibly (!!). Using Optimax, local cost is 114.9 so it aint cheap!!...is that in the normal range, or should I get it looked at...

·
Australian EF1 XR8 Member
38 Posts
Congrats on the purchase!!! Hope you can join us on one of our runs soon.

I'd say it sound pretty heavy on fuel, but the motor only has so little km's on it, and the moving parts are going to be tight fit for a while.

When my parents bought thier ED XR6 wagon (new), I remember numbers like about 16mpg for the first while. Most of this was around town as well. Once it is run in, it should get maybe about 550-600km/tank, better on freeway cruising.

I'm not sure how long it'll take to loosen up, but my guess is about 5000kms. My dad ran their car in pretty gently, with occasional bursts to help bed the engine and other components in.

I guess the best way to run a car in is to drive (relatively sensibly) in normal traffic with plenty of start/stop driving instead of monotonous freeway cruising, eg great western highway/paramatta rd compared to M4.

G

·
The AU S pack auto I used to drive was about as bad. Is your's an auto or manual?

If I was you I'd save your money on the Optimax and just buy good quality regular unleaded. Unless you plan on changing the ignition timing the extra octane wont be taken advantage of.

·
NSW TICKFORD OWNERS CLUB
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks and yes the bathurst run is nice and close to me so will see ya'll there...

well might give it another few months,and might give it some stick every now and then ;-) if you think it would help!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
dkmaj

I have an AU1 XR8 200 KW and get about 450 km from a tank of PULP Shell Optimax (68 litres). When using PULP Caltex Vortex I get about 420 km. Regular unleaded would get me approx. 380 km. I really think Optimax is the go even though it's a bit dearer. Any thoughts from fellow XR6/8 drivers?

G

·
If you are driving a manual,what car did you have before?If it was a four,you'r maybe used to reving it more than you need, driving in a lower gear.You can allmost once moveing putin higher gear then accelerate.Sounds strange but realy uses the torque down low.Once run in that is.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I get around 420km in 52-54L in unleaded in suburban traffic. Not the best but sometimes I got a lead foot .
With Optimax I cant exactly say its just not consistent. Most of the time I just manage to reach 400km in that so many litres (suburban).
I didnt got to use any premium when I went to melbourne but I was destined to get about 630km on unleaded.
I just wish I can get 550km around town.

·
Tickford Owners Club NSW
60 Posts
My old EL XR6 had a knock sensor fitted as standard on the engine, so I can't imagine that Ford would have deleted it on the AU11 XR6. If indeed the AU11 XR6 has a knock sensor then the higher the octane fuel you can get into it the more performance. With higher octane fuel and more available engine power, at less throttle opening, (and driven reasonably sensibly), provides better economy. But then who are we kidding; more available power really means more pedal to the metal, and worse economy.
If the economy doesn't pick up after a few more thousand K's, the have an exhaust gas analysis done to determine whether it is actually running too rich.

Salada

Jimbaddy

·
Registered
67 Posts
dkmaj
Have u got your A/C or fan on? This can really bring your economy down. Be light on the throttle and with occassional bleep to keep at constant speed. keep engine rev lower than 2500 at traffic light drag. I'm sure you wont listen to me when a commy or wrx pulls in beside you.

·
NSW TICKFORD OWNERS CLUB
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My previous car was a V6 Magna auto, the XR6 is also an auto, have also tried 'altering' the adaptive shift to 'economy mode' but made no real difference (economy or performance). Will give a few 1000k's more then get it looked at...

·
NSW TICKFORD OWNERS CLUB
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...can having the fan on affect economy, as I live in a 'cold' part of the land (-10 snow and ice in winter), and having had the car from mid April havent used the aircon but do drive around with the fan on 2, could this make much difference?

·
Registered
21 Posts
ouch.. you gus must all be leadfoots! :p

i generally get ~10-11L/100km (half freeway, half suburb driving).... the best i've gotten on a tank is a bit over 700km (all freeway). having a manual helps... the autos seem to guzzle more, especially around town.

·
Registered
67 Posts
dkmaj, not that much.
How much do you let your car idle?
Nice economy Boson.. extremely jealous, looks like the 5th gear is a saviour on freeways.
With auto travelling at 110 shows about 2300-2500 rpm thats pretty high for a torquey engine. I reckon Ford should put an overdrive. Any manual drivers, what does your tacho showing at 110?

·
Australian EF1 XR8 Member
38 Posts
My EF1 XR8 manual is doing just over 2000rpm at 100km/h in 5th with the standard 3.23:1 diff. The best "economy" i ever got out of it on a trip was 10.68L/100km.

Most of the driving i do is between Glenbrook and Eastwood (in the M4 carpark :) ). I generally get high 12's to mid 13's, depending on how bad the traffic is or how many people try the traffic light drags on me....

Just another question what sort of revs are the manual EL2s doing at 100km/h? They have the 3.45:1 rear end (i'm lead to believe). Just wondering what sort of difference the 6.5% difference in ratios makes for revs per minute at cruise speed....

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
Hi,

I have a manual ED XR8. My fuel ecconomy really varies.
Best I have done is 723km's per tank on my way back up from melbourne.
Usually I get about 420 km's per tank (city driving).
If I do something like the track day at eastern creek, or the off street drags, I only get about 300km's per tank.

I am running Mobil Synergy 8000. Finding it a lot better than Optimax. (stopped the pinging and gets better milage)

:)

·
Experimental Racer#6
8,192 Posts
HI ALL,
MY ED XR6 MANUAL,3.45DIFF, GETS ABOUT 450-520 AROUND TOWN, THE BEST IVE HAD ONE THE H/WAY IS 760KM, ON A ROUND TRIP TO MELBOURNE FROM ALBURY/WODONGA.THE TACHO SITS ON ABOUT 2500 AT 110-115, SPEEDO READS 100 AT 105 I CHECKED IT COMING OUT OF MELBOURNE, THERES ONE OF THOSE SPEED CHECK CAMERAS,THERES ALSO ONE ONE THE WAY OUT OF WODONGA NOW, HEADING SOUTH. BACK TO THE CAR, SHES BEEN CHEWING A BIT MORE LATELY. I HAD THE COIL CHANGED AS THE OLD ONE EXPIRED AND SINCE IT WONTIDLE UNDER 900RPM, ANY HINTS.
CHEERS
KERRY

·
NSW TICKFORD OWNERS CLUB
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Decided today to go for a 'highway cycle' drive!...got 480km's on a full tank, not great again. Nice country highway drive (Orange to Parkes to Forbes to Cowra to Bathurst then home), but had alot of fun, first time on a big open drive. Car really does go and handle well, felt rock solid on the road.

PS. Wont post my top speed for the trip ;-)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts