Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 97 XR8 thats starting to give me problems. Its losing power and wont rev whist driving, sometimes in spurts (lose power, then kick and then its gone again.) It's very intermitant, did it again today for the first time in a week. I'm thinking it could maybe the fuel pump or ignition module. Has anyone had the same thing happen??? What was the fix??? Also does anyone know the procedure to get the error codes out the computer??

Thanks,
Jase

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I HAD THE SAME TROUBLE.IT WAS THE FUEL PUMP RELAY BESIDE THE BATTERY/UNDER RADIATOR TANK.ON MINE E.B.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unplug your MAF sensor, if the car runs like a rocket (but will chew up loads of fuel) then there you go.

·
Australian EB Fairmont Ghia Member
1,151 Posts
The problem i have is the same I think. After the engine has been off for a while(still warm), when i start it up, about 10 seconds later it gets this dirty rough idle, and really hesitates in acceleration, so what i have to do is usually wait about 20seconds and it goes away, like its clearing its throat. The last 3 times ive taked\n the fuel pump out for inspection, the problem seems to disapear for a week or so. Then wullah, she's back. Also hesitates for a little while when cold.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes hard to exlain like choke on too much in carb motor?? Seems too rich? I replaced sparkplugs,leads.I notice on latter motors they put the inlet air temp senser on inlet duct.Not on manifold which stays colder longer.Can be changed I guess.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In spite of our instinctive reaction to fear the worst, most performance problems with EFI systems relate back to fuel. Generally (not always) if a fuel pump relay fails the car will grind to a halt. It may restart and drive off again, but it's not usually a "short enough" fault to give you the sort of problems described above. The first thing you should do, is have the fuel pump pressure and fuel flow tested. If the fuel pressure or flow are marginal, then under certain conditions, (usually temperature related), the problem will rear it's head.
Is the fuel pump noisy? Have you changed the fuel filter in recent times?

Salada

Jimbaddy

·
Layabout
99 Posts
eb_5litre and anybody else, I'm having the same problem with my EA (non MPI). After the car has been off for about 20min ~ 30min, it won't start and it would backfire. When it did start it would idle as rough as guts and would hesitate a whole lot. Putting the foot down it would surge (and almost die), like it was baing starved of fuel. It only happens when the engine is warm. Any shorter of longer than 20~30mins and it's fine. After it has started and driven for a minute or two there's no problem.
Mechanic can't find anything wrong 'cos it doesn't happen when he's around (as always).

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
Could also be the secondary stage of your coil...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts