Ford Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is malfunctioning and I'm not sure if its the fuel line or filter or something else...

When I use the gas, instead of going vrrroooooom! It does more of a vrrrougugugvrrooougug sort of thing. I have to sort of pump the gas to make the car go at all, and it doesn't seem at all interested in going any higher than second gear. This has happened before and more or less fixed itself, but it's more severe this time. Does this sound like more of a fuel line or fuel filter problem?

·
Registered
18 Posts
What year is your ride? I had a 1990 Festiva that I was using for ice racing (one of the best cars for it, if you ask me, especially if COMPLETELY gutted) that did the exact same thing. It was hard to start, even at 5 degrees celcius. Sometimes I had to prime it thru the intake with ether to get it going. Until the motor reached about 60 Degrees celcius, I could barely touch the throttle without it wanting to die out. Even after warming up, I had to pump the throttle when I was tying to accelerate. It would even stall if I would try to hold it to the floor. It was obviously running too lean. I changed the fuel filter, which helped. New plugs were installed. Turned out to be the throttle position sensor. I also found that it was also idling high, Which was a defective idle air valve. I'd test the fuel pressure at the fuel rail and see if it drops a lot when you open the throttle, which would indicate a bad filter, restricted line, or bad fuel pump. If not, check the electronics, wiring in the engine compartment, etc. Hope it helps!:beerbottl

·
FESTIVA FREAK
6 Posts
I have the same problem with my 92 Festiva, but it mostly occurs on cold, damp mornings and clears up when the engine warms up. What do you think is the cause?
and have you pulled the distributor cap when this happens?

you can use dust off or WD40 as an drying agent to remove the moisture

and use a small piece of sandpaper to clean the metal spark plug tabs(cant think of the technical term for them this early........DUH)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply. After a cold evening the car did not start at all. Toweed it to the local mechanics and they are know unable to detremine why the car will not start. It is getting spark and fuel but no "pulse' to the injectors and they cannot detremine why that is. Anyone with some Festiva expereince have any ideas as the cars has a lot of life in it and I do not want to take the implied mechanics advice to look for a new vehicle?

·
BA Barracus
95 Posts
I doubt it would be a filter problem, filters usually stay blocked and engine wont start. Could be a number of things, usually a bad connection, maybe the power feed to the inj rail is too low, because the inj are grounded by the ecu to open, no power on the other term, no open, crook ecu, or a bad connection in between, a nightmare to fault find!
Start with the basics, check all connectors on the ecu harness to the engine bay, check all sensors for correct values, check fusible links on LHS strut tower, check earth(ground) lead to engine from battery, run a self test on the ecu, check fuel rail pressure while bridging diagnosis connector pins, engine doesn't need to be running for that test, and last, get injectors tested.
good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts