Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings; the vehicle is a 2003 Ford Taurus with 93,000 miles, add remote starter. I purchased the vehicle on 3/23/2016, about a year later the car started doing what is considered a "long crank". Meaning the engine turns ove for a long time and cranks at the end. I had a very reliable local mechanic, he did his testing and said I needed a new fuel pump. I told him to change it. The problem seemed to be fixed and the car did crank just fine for awhile. Then the long cranks returned. This time accompanied by a bad starter, between time I also replaced the battery and the alternator. When the long cranks returned, I questioned whether my local mechanic did the right thing and sought another opinion. on 01/23/2019 I took the car to AAA automotive and they did not care that I had already changed the fuel pump within 18 months, they said they always start with the present, not the past (paraphrase). The replaced both the starter and the fuel pump. Now, the long cranks just started again. The good news is the warranty for the last job is 12 months or 12000 miles. But getting a reduce price on the repair is not what I am after. I would like to fix the actual problem. Any ideas or suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
19,443 Posts
Unusual to need 2 new fuel pumps and starters in so little a time . Only time I've had anything like that was on taxis who racked up the mileage compared to normal vehicles . Have the simple things like plugs , air filter been checked replaced ? Could also try cleaning the MAF . Try cycling the ignition key a few times before cranking and see if it makes any difference ..

·
Super Moderator
11,033 Posts
It also could be the pump manufacture. Some are pretty cheap and don't last. We always used the Motorcraft. There are other good ones but the cheap ones don't always last.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts