Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gday all.

Looking at giving the car a good detail this week and wanted some advice/hints tips.

Heres what i usually do:
Wash
Paint Cleaner
Scratch X
Wet Look Polish
Wax (paste)
everything done by hand with sponge/rag/aplicator pads...

It comes up pretty good, but i feel it could be better. Especially for the time taken to do it.

Any Ideas?

My mates who work at detailers cut it back, dont wipe off the powder, then polish straight over the top.

Is this a good idea?
I tried it once and it came up pretty good, but it wasnt with the current products im using.

Any help would be great

Thanks
Jase

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
heres the car btw

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would recommend claying your paintwork, especially if it feels rough or gritty ( put your hand in a plastic bag and run a finger over the paintwork )
I wouldnt use a cutting compound unless you absolutely have to ( heavy swirls or scratches ) as it is very abrasive. Not something you want to use too many times...plus it is really a machine application only kinda product.
Look at getting maybe more than 1 polish, something maybe a little more abrasive than scratch x, then follow up with scratch x. But if scratch x is working then stick with it.
Apart from that, what you are doing seems fine, and the car looks great.

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scratches show up well in brighter light.
Which annoyes me. And most of the people looking at my car (its for sale :) ) come on sunny days. common living in perth :)
Got a few decent scratches aswell

What exactly does clay do?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am originally from perth so I know what you mean with sunny days! lol

clay removes little bits that make your paint feel rough, like industrial fallout that you wont remove with polish, but if your selling it I wouldnt bother. Do it to the next car you get if it needs it....
I know the scratches you are talking about I think...little cobweb like swirls? It is very hard to remove these swirls by hand ( believe me I have tried! ), to get it flawless you really need to do it by random orbital, or if severe, rotary polishers. Rotarys should only be used by an experienced operator so dont have a go at it by yaself!
might be easier to get a professional to remove your swirls by machine, then you finish up with the waxing.
Good luck with it!
Maybe take it down to a shady place to show it to prospective buyers??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts